VOGONS

SNK S3 Graphics Card Question

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is far a design from "standard" virge cards... I would agree if the only extra chip was the philips dac (because of the extra composite/svhs in/out in the back) but with a 6k gates pld in the back, an onboard huge psu/amp/whatever and a 60pin connector it is certain this is more than a standard card with a SNK logo so it sells...
Could be a case though that SNK manufactured cards for someone else, maybe for medical/studio equipment, it doesn't have to be game related at all... it could even belong to a set with a special drive/secondary pcb that would decode videos or something ...

@ReeseRiverson
there are 2 chips screwed on the black heatsink, what is written on them?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

@ReeseRiverson
there are 2 chips screwed on the black heatsink, what is written on them?

Actually one chip, which is a little wide, with two screws to the heatsink. However I'll get you that info when I get home tonight, where the card is. 😉

Reply 42 of 49, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What an interesting find, whatever this thing was supposed to be used for, and especially that it seems to function as a normal VGA card for you.

Also:

http://reeseriverson.com/rriverson/pics/IMG_2543-800px.jpg […]
Show full quote

IMG_2543-800px.jpg

Jesus that's enough connectors for any task but washing your dishes!

Reply 43 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Actually one chip, which is a little wide, with two screws to the heatsink. However I'll get you that info when I get home tonight, where the card is. 😉

Alright, here it is:
IMG_2556-1000px.jpg

Seems my suspension is right, this is an audio amplifier if the right part search came up! 😦

Reply 44 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, this seems to be a "bad-ass audio amp" (for one located on a pci card that is 🤣) ... too bad we can't really find what is connected to card and uses the amp ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 45 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I suspect it outputs to the 3.5mm jack, and the potentiameter by it controls the volume...

I am thinking the two-pin connector next to the heatsink is for power. Has ground and +12 markings. Possible this required a 12 volt power source to drive the amp... if I am guessing right.

Reply 46 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started a thread here:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php? … y-graphics-card
and here:
www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthrea ... 1997-1998)
to keep an eye on.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 47 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto at Neo-Geo forums wrote:

The card has been used in a Pentium-based system already, no issues reported. The owner also owns three other matching cards. I don't really know the story on how he acquired them

Actually, I have two.

As for how I acquired them, they came in a couple of Pentium Pro 200MHz systems, that appeared to have been custom built by someone since the case isn't of a brand. These towers were systems I bought from my old school a while back, and they came with these graphics cards installed under Windows 95.

Also edited the original post to include all the pictures, in case anyone from those forums take a look and don't want to browse the whole thread, here. 😉

Reply 48 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe the addon was indeed some video decoding card , maybe they used them to output videos to a projector/tv ?

Reply 49 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, well I don't think this could be an actual Arcade card, but here's what a friend had said.

Manyak wrote:

What the hell IS that card? Never seen anything quite like it. It's got an audio amp and everything. I doubt it's from an arcade cabinet though, like some people are saying. Arcade boards outputted 5V video signals, PCs output 0.7V. Also, arcade monitors never had a horizontal scan rate greater than 25kHz (640x480@60Hz vertical on the FW900 is 30kHz horizontal), so AFAIK their graphics cards were never able to go any higher anyway. The development hardware idea sounds more plausible, but also unlikely.

Makes sense when details are put in place about the video signal voltages and scan rates, wouldn't it?