VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Large 32gb+ drives often had floppies with special partition tools to allow you to make large partitions for Win9x

Weren't there still problems though? I have a vague notion that an improper shutdown would cause ScanDisk to run; then, Windows 95's ScanDisk would corrupt the large partition.

Maybe I'm mischaracterizing https://support.microsoft.com/kb/243450.

Reply 21 of 27, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

It is not the drive that is the issue, it is the partition size. Just split the 80GB into partitions below 32GB and you'll be fine.

I tried that, but it still threw a fit. 🙁

Reply 22 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I installed Windows 98SE on 250GB and 320GB drives. But, like I always recommend, I create a single 30GB FAT32 Partition and I also use modern PCI SATA controller cards.

With these old machines there are so many things that could be wrong, so for me at least, SATA controllers is a tried and tested method which I stand by and recommend wholeheartedly 🤣

If that drive installs on a Pentium 3 system you can rule it out.

Also the more you build, you will develop a set of "known working" stuff. It will then become a lot easier to isolate the issue.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 27, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well there will certainly be more projects, for sure! 😀

I don't doubt the SATA controllers one bit, I mean who knows? Maybe the one I have in particular is one Windows 95 doesn't like. I plan to buy a couple more controllers, since they are cheap, and give them a try.

Also funny you mention Pentium 3 system, I was thinking about going ahead and pop that controller and 80GB drive into my Pentium 3 to replace the 8GB drive Windows 98 is currently installed on. 🤣

Reply 25 of 27, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
STX wrote:

It would make sense to put the 80 GB drive in the Windows 98 system and the 8 GB drive in the Windows 95 system. It will Just Work™.

That or see how Windows 95 will behave with a 40GB IBM IDE Harddrive I have. 😀

Reply 26 of 27, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ReeseRiverson wrote:

That or see how Windows 95 will behave with a 40GB IBM IDE Harddrive I have. 😀

Well, maybe if you can find one of those floppies that leileilol was talking about. I think I still have one for IBM Deskstar drives.