VOGONS

First post, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I just found one of these cards at the local surplus, but info on it seems sketchy. What was this card primarily used for? It has the additional board that plugs into it for all the surround sound, etc. I'm not familiar with this era of games and what-not this would have been popular. Any info?

Also, I noticed it's keyed or 5V PCI so is there a practical limit to which modern boards it will work on? As long as it's a PCI 2.2 or earlier board, I should be okay, right?

Reply 1 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the ymf724 is a 2 channel sound chip. the daughterboard is simply for emulating 5.1 surround sound output and spdif i/o, and doesn't need any game/software support.
there shall be no pci compatibility limitations.

Reply 2 of 5, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Question about that board: I noticed that all channels on the add-on board are backed by TEA2025B's, which means they are amplified. Was this card usually accompanied by an arrangement of passive speakers for use on this add-on card?

Edit: Sure enough, I found a site listing the outputs on the expansion board as 2W per channel, which coincides with the TEA2025. I'm curious if I can use the expansion board in regular stereo mode, with no emulated surround, to power my MDR-V700'S.

Reply 3 of 5, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:

the ymf724 is a 2 channel sound chip. the daughterboard is simply for emulating 5.1 surround sound output and spdif i/o, and doesn't need any game/software support.

Actually, this card has the 744. Someone mistakenly edited the Wiki to read that this card had the 754, which is obviously, not true.

Reply 4 of 5, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:

Also, I noticed it's keyed or 5V PCI so is there a practical limit to which modern boards it will work on? As long as it's a PCI 2.2 or earlier board, I should be okay, right?

I've only seen 64 bit slots keyed for 3.3V so it shouldn't matter. It's a nice card BTW, got one myself but never tried any surround sound on it.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

Actually, this card has the 744. Someone mistakenly edited the Wiki to read that this card had the 754, which is obviously, not true.

It comes in both flavours, 744 and 754. A 724 with the connector for the daughterboard also exists and should also work.