VOGONS

motherboard with AGP and ISA

Topic actions

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was there ever a retail motherboard made that had an AGP slot and a 16-bit ISA slot? The objective operating system would be Win 98SE, which appears to be the last to support ISA slots.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 5 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just recently completed a Windows 98 SE build using a Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ which has 1 x AGP, 5 x PCI AND 2 x ISA. I'm also running a socket 370 Pentium 3 1.4Ghz Tualatin using a socket adaptor purchased on eBay. Works great thus far!

Here's the link for the eBay listing containing the cpu with it's attached adaptor. The seller still has several left for sale.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281238323137

Your only problem will probably be finding this board for sale but as stated above, a quick google search will do you wonders!

Reply 7 of 27, by Stedman5040

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Might be wrong, but I think the Abit KT7A raid had an ISA slot. Should be about as good as you can get with an athlon cpu. Might support up to an XP2600+. Certainly it supported the Palamino Athlons up to XP2100+

K6 III+ 500
Epox MVPG2
512Mb Hynix CL2 SDRAM
40MB WD HDD
Creative GeForce2 Ti
CMI8738 Sound card

Reply 9 of 27, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost all Pentium 2 and Pentium 3 slot 1 board supported Accelerated Graphics Port (not counting in brand computer from Dell, IBM, etc).

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 10 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot to mention, one of the most stable boards I've used which is still readily available brand new in box on eBay is the Intel SE440BX-2. This board has 1xAGP, 4xPCI and 2xISA. It can take up to an 800Mhz Slot 1 Pentium 3 CPU which is more than enough for any DOS gaming. I do own a Slot 1 1Ghz CPU but haven't tested it yet in this board. It may be useable with the latest BIOS update. There are many Slot 1 boards with AGP/PCI/ISA.

Reply 11 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Dell flavour of Intel SE440BX-2 that came with my Dimension T500 works fine at 1Ghz. Only side affect it the Post test shows the machine as a Dell Dimension XPS T@00r. @ must = 10 at Dell.
Next line shows P III 1000 Mhz fine
Id be interested if a P2 era BX2 board still supported 1Ghz but even then I bet you could get a bios from another OEM and it would be fine, (not going to try though)

Reply 12 of 27, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While I was searching for a replacement for my burned out 233mhz motherboard, I actually found quite a few P4 boards with ISA slots as well as an AGP slot. I eventually got a Slot 1 board with 800/100 P3, and max memory of 384MB installed. I'm not worries about vintage speeds, I just want the ISA slot for my Sound Blaster card. Also have a 64MB AGP card, 2 Voodoo2's, and a PCI 10/100/1G NIC card waiting for it to get here. They all (except the AGP card, and a PCI 2 meg,) worked in my P233, so they should work fine in this 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 13 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My current Pentium II 400MHz system (Slot 1) has AGP slot running the running the TNT2 Ultra card, and ISA slots with two SoundBlaster cards. Of course, it's an intel motherboard (Slot 1 as mentioned).

Even Pentium III systems (retail, conventional, home, etc, NON-industrial) have ISA slots....

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO on a fast MS-DOS gaming machine you don't need ISA slots anymore.

They all use late Sound Drivers that have excellent compatibility and basically ANY PCI Sound Card works with these games.

Of course if you want to play old Sierra games on a 1.4GHz Pentium 3 that's another thing, but why would you...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not familiar with that game. Is this DOS only? Why does it need an ISA card?

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I always thought this was a game that shined with the Yamaha cards...

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 27, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FF7 does sound best on Yamaha sound cards.
It has 4 sets of midi files for its music: GM, XG, YGM, AWE.
It also has Yamaha SoftSynth YSXG-20.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"