VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that I have a capture card I wanted to see if me using a powered splitter and a KVM degrades the signal.

Well it does, quite drastic actually...

Capture straight from computer to capture card via a 3m VGA cable with dual Ferrites:

mp69lWA.png

Now here through the powered splitter:

JpgbruZ.png

And now through splitter and KVM:

O90E7El.png

What could I do to improve the situation? All the cables have Ferrite on both ends. I had poor once before, but got better ones specifically for image quality.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I tried an old brick of a mechanical KVM and it now gives me the image just like with just the splitter. So the KVM definitely degrades the signal. It's one of these auto- no power switchable ones.

So I could source a better mechanical KVM. No issue.

But what about the splitter?

Thought I got a decent model, but with eBay it's hard to tell right 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If money is no object, get a VGA matrix (switch+splitter in one device).
The cheapest option would be to swap cables and test which have the least impact on signal quality.

As a general rule, switches and splitters with a higher bandwith should provide a better signal. Unfortunately manufacturers tend to list rather "optimistic" bandwith ratings for their devices. And finally, this is the first time I've heard of a mechanical switch performing better than an electronic one, usually it's the other way around.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good idea to test the cables one by one, take a screenshot and compare 😀

Do you have a link to such a Matrix Switch?

I'm also thinking, I will mostly be doing HDMI capture on my SS7 machine. For the few VGA captures I can work on the desktop. The AVerMedia has surprisingly almost no delay / lag.

I might just have a very cheap KVM then. I tried with PSU, made no difference.

HCvqjhzl.jpg

DfC07GTl.jpg

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just looking at the pictures, the switch looks cheap, but might actually not be complete crap. Those cables don't seem to be very well made though.

For matrix switches, just search "VGA matrix" on ebay. The good ones come in 19" rack format for several hundred dollars. The plasticky ones for 50 dollars are probably not much better than your current setup.

Reply 5 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the Ferrit cores are just for low frequency damping, usually the running brightness stripes over an analog screen.
The contrast shadows are more a wrong impedance coupling leading to reflections.

A more suitable test is to choose a higher resolution and a black to white transition and see how the reflections get dampened. Then start changing components.
Be aware that already the output of the graphics card plays a role and has to match the impedance. So a card that puts out a blurry image with one setup may have a sharper output with a different setup that matches better.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had cables without these ferries and they are absolutely shocking. They came with that KVM.

I tried all cables and directly to the capture card the image is flawless. Graphics card is a FX5200.

My YouTube channel