VOGONS

First post, by Trevor0402

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got a MIDI to USB cord from EBay and i just experienced some problems with the instruments. sometimes the guitars change to drum sets on certain midis and the drum sets play wrong on midis for example de1m1.mid.

HELP!!!

Reply 1 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crappy usb-midi cable? not all of them are good ones...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like the same problem I'm having.

If you're using Winamp to play back your MIDI files do NOT use Immediate mode playback, use Streamed mode and this will no longer happen.

Another thing to do is send your reset commands before playing back a different song so that all your channels are set to the default state.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ why do you need to set these? what are you trying to do exactly? playback of midi or create your own music?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to reset all the channels to Patch 0 MSB 0 LSB 0 before playing a different song and also turn off whatever note's are currently playing as well, for MIDI files that are expected to loop usually the author will put such reset commands at the end or begining of the song. If that is not the case then the game's driver usually (hopefully) handles that part...

I don't know much about setting that because I have all these programs doing it for me, so I'd suggest googling SysEx information related to your SC-55 to figure out how to reset the unit before playing back a new song on it.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vanBasco's Karaoke Player has an option to send a reset between each song, it works great.
Don't let the name fool you, it's a great midi player: http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/

Reply 10 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmmm what happens if you reset manually the sc-55?
(on standby mode hold the INSTRUMENT RIGHT button and press the POWER one. The screen will say "Init GS, sure?" , press the ALL button to reset the unit)
Do the midis sound the same after the reset? If they still sound the same, please attach them here, maybe they are not good... or maybe the usb cable really messes the midi SysEx data and they don't get transmitted or something

Reply 12 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, so it was bad settings stored in the unit... glad you got it going 😀
I also suggest you open your sc-55 and check on the battery inside: Have you opened your SC-55 to check the battery inside?