VOGONS

First post, by totalizator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an old Vaio laptop (PCG-F801A) with an AMD K6-2 533MHz cpu and I was wondering is it possible to have it running fanless? The original cooling solution is very loud (even when replaced) and because of that I stopped using this machine.

The cpu itself seems to be an ordinary PC one (maybe even in the socket) and the heatsing is quite large.

What do you think?

img_4257_2.jpg img_4259_3.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No way...

Notebooks are so confined. Best you can do is replace the motor, replace the thermal paste and that's it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cpu itself seems to be an ordinary PC one (maybe even in the socket) and the heatsing is quite large.

They've installed a Mammoth heatsink in there for a reason... don't you think? 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to attempt this at all you should at first try to reduce the power consumption of the CPU.
This Vaio model is supposed to come with a K6-2+ 533. Maybe you could check this by software?

Are there any options to underclock the CPU? That alone would already help.
If that works you could try to reduce the voltage, although I'm not sure the CPU would run then, but it shouldn't hurt to try.
The multiplier of the K6-2+ should be changeable by software (I'm pretty sure Mau1wurf1977 did this with a K6-3+). You cold get as low as 2x.
The CPU should also support Cool'n'Quiet so undervolting (at least with reduced clock) might be possible by software, too.

Reply 7 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the cooler is that loud, you can always clean it.
Simply remove the fan and clean it than oil it with fine machine oil. If that doesn't eliminate most of the buzz nothing will.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Within a laptop's casing it may very well overheat, but I run a Pentium 3 1GHZ (29W TDP - little bit more than a K6-2; specs I found are 12W typ and 20W max) under a Thermalright SI-97 with no fan, with no issues. The fins don't really get warm in that setup. I guess the bigger question is how do you feel about dramatically modifying the system's enclosure, or can you put the CPU in a desktop board?

Reply 9 of 9, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A K6-3+ @1.6V and 400MHZ clock can run passively. And performance should be similar to a 533. But i doubt the motherboard supports it, or you can even change voltage.