VOGONS

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://blog.abettergeek.com/software/windows/ … scammy-tactics/

However, all this being as it is, the real kicker is that Driver Guide doesn’t force this on non-Windows users. All you have to do is change your browser’s user agent string, which for Firefox can be accomplished through an extension like Override User Agent. If you switch your user agent to a search bot, Safari (which changes the OS to OS X), or a mobile device, the checkbox is gone, and the site magically will let you download your file directly.

[EDIT 02/18/2015 This workaround no longer works.]

Bingo! I may have known this at one point, but I'd definitely forgotten it by now.

I think we should go back through older threads now and collect the files they were looking for, and submit to VogonsDrivers. 😀

PS. Thanks to Lord_Nightmare for the head's up.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 21, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I always did: <removed. if DG ever decides "fix" the above method, PM me for a workaround>

But this method looks MUCH easier 🤣

Not sure if it's a good idea to post this on the open web though, if the Driverguide people read this they might decide to change it.

Last edited by jwt27 on 2014-02-07, 01:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember when you didn't have to pay to get a driver, or rather use their downloader software. I am glad Vogons has a nice driver database to help find things, I wish to see it expand. 😁

Reply 4 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if the people at driverguide realize that driver software is protected by copyright just like any other software and they are breaking the law if they are charging people for downloads without the copyright holders permission.

Reply 5 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! Now all we need is a bot to pull all the driversguide files and mirror them onto VogonsDrivers 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, even if you change the user agent string, there's still a captcha to deal with. Still, much preferable to the alternative.

I agree that they could catch on. However, that guy's blog post has been up since April 2013...

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
sliderider wrote:

I wonder if the people at driverguide realize that driver software is protected by copyright just like any other software and they are breaking the law if they are charging people for downloads without the copyright holders permission.

Not out for a fight but which law is that? AFAIK there is no law that makes charging for copyrighted software downloads illegal. Offering software for download may very well be illegal (see abandonware) but charging doesn't factor in there (in case of a trial charging for the copyright break might be regarded as worae, though).
Offering drivers for download is something that could always backfire as the copyright holders might move against you which up to now they didn't though.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Not out for a fight but which law is that? AFAIK there is no law that makes charging for copyrighted software downloads illegal. Offering software for download may very well be illegal (see abandonware) but charging doesn't factor in there (in case of a trial charging for the copyright break might be regarded as worae, though).
Offering drivers for download is something that could always backfire as the copyright holders might move against you which up to now they didn't though.

If I sell your car to someone else without your permission, is it stealing? Selling something you don't legally own is covered under many laws depending on how it's done. It might be called either fencing or trafficking in stolen goods if you are selling something stolen by someone else, it might be called fraudulent conversion if you change the form of a stolen good in order to sell it without suspicion. There are literally hundreds,if not thousands of torts, that can be brought in the case of someone selling something they don't own depending on the exact circumstance.

Reply 9 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's not the same and you know it isn't. Car analogies seldom are. You really have a problem with admiting you are wrong or at least not fully right, seems to me.
Work on that. Thanks.
Case closed

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 21, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I download from DriverGuide.com all the time.

Just decline everything in the installer and you get your file in the end without any "extra", nonetheless, that trick seems to be a good one 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

It's not the same and you know it isn't. Car analogies seldom are. You really have a problem with admiting you are wrong or at least not fully right, seems to me.
Work on that. Thanks.
Case closed

It's EXACTLY the same thing. Courts around the world have already established that intellectual property is afforded the same protections as real property. So if I own the rights to a piece of software and someone else is selling digital copies of that software without my consent, I have a cause to bring legal action against them for theft exactly the same as if they'd broken into my warehouse and stolen physical copies that were awaiting shipment.

Reply 12 of 21, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting to know, as far as I'm concerned driverguide has been getting progressively worse since they implemented separate accounts for everyone.
I must say that downloading random old drivers can be super annoying cause so many of those driver sites seem to want you to install some software that detects your hardware and the download link is nowhere to be found.

Reply 14 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

You can usually find drivers pretty easily using FTP search sites. For whatever reason FTP sites in the former USSR countries retain lots of cool stuff. 😀

FTP site searching is quickly becoming a lost art, and FTP sites are turned off daily. Hence this thread: Preservation of historical ftp site content

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 21, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I download from DriverGuide.com all the time.

Just decline everything in the installer and you get your file in the end without any "extra", nonetheless, that trick seems to be a good one 😀

That's pretty ballsy of you to actually trust an installer that could, if it wanted to, just install that garbage anyways.