VOGONS

First post, by ZaphodB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I have just joined as I have an old ish Dell D600 laptop and have recently aquired a complete set of Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11 discs. (Oh and VB 3.0 discs)

What I want to do is to use it to run all my old DOS games on and possibly some windows bits I have not looked at in years. What does bother me is getting the sound card to work properly, I belive its a sigmatel AC97 of some description and the GFX to behave in windows at somthing close to usable colour and res. I'm not hopfull on the USB for joysticks though. Any advice (beyond 'don't be silly!') would be nice. I've also got a silly idea of running mostly from a ram disc setup on boot as I have 512MB on this one!

Reply 1 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe you can't squeeze DOS sound out of this laptop. It's soundcard is incompatible with standards that DOS games utilize; and there's no PCMCIA slot to add a compatible external sound solution. You will have to use DosBox if you want DOS games with sound.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZaphodB wrote:

It does have a PCMCIA slot! and i am not interested in using DosBOX I want a proper DOS system!

Seems I have been mistaken. Then you should find yourself a PCMCIA sound card compatible with DOS.

I never had any PCMCIA soundcards, but these (DOS-compatible) ones are rumoured to exist:

- Roland SCP-55 (which is said to be a combination of SCC-1A and RAP-10)
- Yamaha PCC10-XG (MIDI music only)
- NewMedia WaveJammer
- IBM PCMCIA 3D sound card

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suggest an older notebook, the D600 already has a Pentium-M. Given enough RAM it would run Windows 7 (without Aero).
For DOS the best bet would probably be something in the 300 MHz region, those models usually had an ISA based sound solution. The 500 MHz models already switched to PCI sound. (Maybe SB emulation for those works?)
For Windows 3.11 the machine is much faster than necessary, Windows 3.11 runs great on a 386 or 486 already, even a Pentium would be overkill.

You could try installing Windows 98SE. If you can find drivers for all important components you could try to run DOS programs from within Windows in which case Windows would hopefully emulate SB sound.. Old 16-bit Windows programs should also run.

Reply 6 of 9, by ZaphodB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually the overkill (and the fact the machine was free) is the entire point of using it!

I do have a 233MMX toshiba Tecra but that requires the use of the external disc drive (location unknown) and plenty of 'vintage' hardware (P200s, 486s, 38's, 286's even an 8088) but those are all desktops and easy to runs such things, I fancy doing somthing differnt. My main interets is the old 8bits though I have IDE and MMC cards on my BBC B and have it doing a few things it really should not be able to (telnet and FTP over TCP/IP)

Reply 7 of 9, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, that laptop's probably too new for this. Drivers page:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/latitude-d600-all.html

See the "historical" sections for Windows 98 drivers. I don't see any AC97 drivers for Win98. You might be able to do Win98 and a PCMCIA sound card...

Reply 9 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe if I find the time I will try to install Win98 on my D600 on a separate hard disk. Since XP is soon retiring to retro status I'm looking for a new notebook anyway.
I suppose there are no Windows 98 drivers for something more common like a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS as well?
Maybe a USB sound device?