VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright.So,I managed to acidentally break my BIOS socket (PLCC)on my beloved Chaintech MPM800 motherboard,and it doesn't work anymore. 😢
I am planning on tracking down a Socket 478 motherboard in my town that uses Award BIOS,but I then ask you first:
Do all motherboards support Celeron D processors?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just the CPU support list on the website. ALL the big brands have this and it leaves you without any doubt.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what if it turns out I have a 478 board from the below manufacturers?(excluding Chaintech,even though they make good mobos almost like Asus,sad they quit the mobo market)

The manufacturers are:
ECS
VIA
Soyo
Soltek
Intel
any OEM(such as HP/Compaq,Gateway etc.)
ASRock
and any kind of these?

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will not be hard to find documentation on these boards.

Also, you can pick good brands. When I look for a motherboard I skill all the OEM and cheap brands and go for something decent from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. Everything you need is online.

Also, motherboard companies still have Socket 7 documentation online. So finding information on these new boards will be very easy.

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well,I get my boards from a "bazar"(or a fair to say so,where you get various things you need)and generally I pick what I can find in good shape.So far,from 2012 until now here's the list of what I remember I bought:
1.Luckytech P5MVP3
2.KOB KLE133 FSMX (was some kind of PChips M810 or such but without an AGP slot and the onboard video was damaged,so I was using a PCI video card)
3.ECS K7VZA
4.EFA Socket 7 board (VIA chipset,was running a K5 100 w/ 48MB RAM)
5.Lucky Star 5MMVP4
6.FIC PAG-2130
7.ECS K7VZA relabeled as Matsonic 8127C+
8.ASUS P4B533-V that was dead,saved the cooler and I think the CPU too.
9.ASUS A7V8X-X that was dead too
10.EPoX EP-4PLA3I with bulged caps
11.Chaintech MPM800,which I used until now,hope I can solder the BIOS onboard someday,yet I suspect I accidentally erased the BIOS,which in case I need another motherboard that uses a KT333,KT4oo or anyting like that to reflash,that doesn't have a soldered flashchip.

Now I should see what I can find,and if I have CPUs.Last time I had to get a PS1,as the only board available was a S939 Gigabyte,and I don't have any 939 CPU.

Reply 5 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of these brands I would never consider...

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KOB is Mercury,which is ECS.I had a KOB KT400 board on it that turned out to be a K7VTA or K7VTA2 if memory serves me right.
EFA is Tekram I think,but I'm not sure atm.
Lucky Star,they're a independent company.They made good boards too,almost to the standard of MSI and even ASUS.
FIC,I don't need to explain it.We all know FIC boards.
ECS was PCChips,as now I think they make their own boards instead of using PCChips boards like in the past.
EPoX,we know it almost the same as FIC boards.
ASUS,I don't need to explain it also.
Luckytech is a independent company too.Same good boards,the P5MVP3 uses Canicon or Rubycon caps,I don't remember.
Chaintech,a good motherboard company.This MPM800 I had was running as smooth like a P4V800-VM,but with only 2 RAM slots,an AGP slot and an old style rearport arrangement.(like 1997-199 mobos)

Reply 7 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Celeron D is a Prescott core with less cache - the board has to support Prescott in order to have a chance of supporting the Celeron D. Like Mau1wurf1977 points out, look online if possible for documentation of what is supported - it may require a BIOS update or something in order to be compatible. Board-makers were often pretty forthcoming if their equipment supported Prescott, because it was the "big to do" from Intel back then (just like Haswell is today).

I would not say "all" support them though - just as they do not all support Willamette 478 (although Prescott support is probably not as obscure as Willamette support). Older boards will probably have a worse chance while newer boards will probably have a better chance. For example ARK lists the 865 and 875 chipsets as compatible options for the Celeron D; but doesn't list older Pentium 4 sets like the 850.

I can also specifically tell you the Abit VT7 will support Celeron D, if that helps any. I wouldn't expect them to be very expensive if you can find one; they weren't very expensive when new. Good board too.

Reply 8 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well,I then need to hunt a motherboard with VIA or SiS chipset.
Isn't the 865 actually the "Breeds Hill"chipset?I've found out that my EPoX board used a 848P (865)chipset and supported a Celeron D.

Reply 9 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote:

Well,I then need to hunt a motherboard with VIA or SiS chipset.
Isn't the 865 actually the "Breeds Hill"chipset?I've found out that my EPoX board used a 848P (865)chipset and supported a Celeron D.

865 is known as Springdale (And there's variants that include IGP and those that don't), 848p is different (Breeds Hill) - it was released later and has a different model number. They may be similar internally - I don't know. If your EPoX supports the Celeron D than it looks like a winner. 😀

865 boards weren't terribly uncommon from what I recall though. VIA PM800 and PT800 would also probably be good bets. I'd avoid SiS.

Reply 10 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The EPoX supports Celeron D,but the caps are bad and I don't bother fixing it.
VIA PM800 was used in the Chaintech board,but I didn't have any PT800 board so far.Why avoid SiS?I'd more avoid Intel chipsets,and go for SiS/VIA.

Reply 11 of 11, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote:

The EPoX supports Celeron D,but the caps are bad and I don't bother fixing it.
VIA PM800 was used in the Chaintech board,but I didn't have any PT800 board so far.Why avoid SiS?I'd more avoid Intel chipsets,and go for SiS/VIA.

In my experience SiS chipsets appear on the cheapest of the cheap, and usually have ho-hum driver packages. Intel boards (especially those made by Intel) tend to be model citizens of stability and reliability. Different strokes for different folks I guess.