VOGONS

Odds and Ends

Topic actions

First post, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've stripped these parts from two 486 era PC's. Those are the oldest computers I've ever owned. They weren't functional, so I took what I could. I know this forum loves parts from this era, so I felt I should post what I have. (I'm not a photographer by any means, or proficient in posting images in message boards so be kind).

1174.jpg

This video card has chips from Siemens and is from Germany (or the chips are anyway) It has its own bios chip I think.

1176.jpg

That's my Sound blaster 16, I recognized it right away when I found it, and even though I was never able to get my windows 98 computer to use it, I'm still glad I have it.

1177.jpg

Yeah, I went out of my way to get that chip. I know nothing really used it, but it was only 20 dollars and I'm one of those guys that can't stand to leave an empty slot unfilled.

1178.jpg

Speaking of unfilled, I also wanted a daughterboard for the card. This was all I could find under a hundred dollars. I don't know anything about it

1180.jpg

I don't know what this is. It's made by creative and was attached to the SB16 by a ribbon cable. It was made in 1995, a good few years after the SB16, so it was probably added in after the fact. I think it had to do with linking the SB16 to the CD ROM drive.

1181.jpg

Two sticks of RAM, single sided, no idea if its FPM or EDO. No idea on how much RAM it is.

1183.jpg

This is where the RAM gets interesting, on the front it looks like the other two,
1184.jpg

but on the back it has some other chips. Anyone know what that's about?

1186.jpg

Another stick of RAM, type unknown. It says EDO and FPM, so I think it might be some kind of hybrid? I also noticed its contacts seem to be Aluminum or some other non copper metal.

1187.jpg

The front of another RAM stick, the sticker is from some place called memory and more or something like that...I think it was a mom&pop computer store of yore.

1188.jpg

And on the back it has another 4 chips just like that other piece...except it has those silvery contacts

1190.jpg

The two CPUs that were in each PC.

I like the ceramic, makes it feel solid. I also enjoyed how it reminds you that it needs a fan and heatsink. Also notice that they vary in color.

I also like how it shifts from merely stating "windows compatible" tot "designed for windows 95" really shows how windows just swooped in and took over.

Under one of them there is a sticker (probably from the shop that assembled the PC) really stupid place to put a sticker, can't really peel it off or scratch it off for fear of bending the pins.

Reply 1 of 3, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The videocard has a Cirrus Logic videochip. Those Siemens chips on it are the memory.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 3, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

The MIDI daughterboard is IBM S-W1/C (1 Mb ROM).

Thanks, I was never able to set it up before, and now that you told be what it is I was able to finally hear it on youtube.