VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Playing around with this machine, I've noticed an odd problem. If there is a disc in the DVD drive and I press the eject button, it takes forever - sometimes 10 seconds or more - to actually eject. However, It always ejects eventually (so far, at least). With no disc in the tray, the eject button works perfectly.

I used this Iomega Super DVD drive in an XP machine for years with no problems. I also feel like I've seen Windows 98SE do this before, perhaps with another DVD drive. Other than the eject problem, the drive works perfectly in 98SE (fast, no read errors).

Any ideas as to what's causing this? (I'm thinking the generic Microsoft DVD driver might be to blame.)

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 4, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you use Nero? I had that problem (as well as another worse one,) until I removed one of the Nero utilities (InCD I believe, but not 100% sure.) Took that out and the eject delay disappeared for me. Also the occasional system hard lock when I changed a CD while the install program had taken access to the drive. Never when I'm just going through my CD's, but if I was installing a multi-CD program, 1 time out of 20 or 30, when I put the next CD in (and the install program had taken control to prevent auto-play or whatever,) my system would hard lock. No blue screen, no key/mouse response, nothing to do but hit the "I WIN" (reset) button and curse real loud. That ever happen??

Feeding Dragon

Reply 2 of 4, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know, the drive did do something goofy the other day during a multi-CD install - can't remember what it was exactly. But it wasn't a hard lock. (I think it was some kind of read error after everything was already done.) I do not have Nero installed, or any other CD/DVD software.

One place where this problem is really pronounced is during driver installs when I get the "Insert the Windows 98 CD to continue" prompt. The drive takes so long to open that I'm sure the system is locked up, but it always opens eventually. Strange.

PCGames9505

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check your Upperfilter and Lowerfilter registry keys. See for instance http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?c … cname=c00365280 .

Also, have you installed the Intel Application Accelerator to enable DMA?

Also please note that Windows 98 does not support the UDF file format, which means you will have problems reading DVDs burned with more than one session using Windows 98 directly. (Something like IsoBuster will still work, however.)

Reply 4 of 4, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Also, have you installed the Intel Application Accelerator to enable DMA?

Blimey, that's done it! No more eject delays, and hard drive access is faster as well. Thanks for the tip!

Anything else I should know about i815 chipset?

PCGames9505