VOGONS

First post, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have this P2B 1.06 (I think, but I'm sure it's lower than 1.08 meaning it can't work with voltage lower than 1.8v, so officially no coppermine support, but bios with support for it), it's running a Pentium II 400 and a Voodoo 4500, I've been thinking for a while about getting a coppermine around 1GHz for it to be a little more balanced a run a few newer games (like 2000-2001 games), but unfortunately here in my country I can only find those basic slocket adapters with no voltage control at all, so I've been thinking about following this pin mod wire trick to force 1.80v on a 1.70v coppermine 900 or 750 http://www.overclockers.com/voltage-mod-for-p … the-wire-trick/ just connect VID1 to VSS, sounds easy but, the information there is not specific to my hardware or the socket to slot1 adapter, so my question is, would it work?

I mean the pin mod directly in the socket from the slot1 adapter would be detected fine by the MB as 1.80v?
anyone had any experience with something similar? I think it should work, but if not, knowing not to waste my time and money with it would be nice! thanks

Reply 2 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think absolute maximum voltage for the Coppermine core is 2.1V. (I would not use anything over 2.0V)
I have been running Coppermines @ 2.0V for extended periods of time without issues.

1.8V should be fine as long as you have a decent heatsink with a working fan.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 4, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELVM wrote:

Sounds hairy, max vcore for 1.0GHz Coppermines is 1.74~1.79 V. I'd better get another mobo with VRM 8.4 that can work with lower voltages.

getting another (decent) mobo is not so easy here, and I would really like to keep as much as possible the hardware I already have alive, it didn't look to scary for me because some coppermine came at 1.75v stock, so 1.80v sounds reasonable overall if:

Skyscraper wrote:

I think absolute maximum voltage for the Coppermine core is 2.1V. (I would not use anything over 2.0V)
I have been running Coppermines @ 2.0V for extended periods of time without issues.

1.8V should be fine as long as you have a decent heatsink with a working fan.

yes cooling is also a concern, with the slot adapter the space is limited for the cooler, and it sits over the northbridge and very close to the memory slots

p2b.jpg

anyway, my idea should work right?

pinmod (the socket on the adapter, VID1 to VSS) a cheap adapter like this
http://i59.tinypic.com/n3kq3n.jpg

or it would be preferable to mod the contacts from the slot/adapter?

thanks for the answers!

Reply 4 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can second that 1,80V is close enough to the stock 1,65/1,75V range to work.
If you have a 1,75V CPU, and change VID1 to zero, you should get a 1,85V request.
If you, in adddition, change VID0 to 1, it becomes 1,80V.

This may be a show stopper though: My P2B does not like slotkets without a voltage clamp chip. I have the exact same slotket and it won't boot with it. At least not with a celeron 466MHz.

There are a few things you may also consider:
- Some slotkets have no voltage jumpers, but have space reserved for them. In that case one can add the pins with a soldering iron.
- Replace the VRM chip on the board with type HIP6019BCB. That is what I did on a P2B v1.04, though the desoldering was not easy.
- Like you said, One can also tape-mod the VID request of the slotket fingers:
Here are my stored notes on that:
Convert VID signal 0 -> 1 by taping a finger (That is easy)
Convert VID signal 1 -> 0 by taping and grounding (Grounding Motherboard side I guess... have not done this myself).
On a Slot 1 cartridge locate these fingers: VID4=A121, VID3=B119, VID2=A119, VID1=A120, VID0=B120

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul