VOGONS

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just ran SST on my newly assembled ASUS PVI-486SP3 w/ AMD 5x86 @ 160MHZ, 32MB RAM, 256K L2 cache, and Adaptec ISA 1542 SCSI board.

It's the memory speeds that most concern me. See the shots:

photo-8.JPG
Filename
photo-8.JPG
File size
163.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My settings:

photo-8.JPG
Filename
photo-8.JPG
File size
163.87 KiB
Views
File license

Thoughts? Thanks.

(Also, my old DPT PM2012 ISA board, I feel sure, was faster than this Adaptec, even though neither have cache RAM.)

bp

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    Filename
    photo-7.JPG
    File size
    189.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 1 of 10, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, duh - disabled auto config and tweaked. Am I tweaked at the right settings here, or can I get more out of it? Thanks.

3DBench 1.0C went from 81.x to 92.8 w/ this new config.

bp

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    Filename
    photo-10.JPG
    File size
    182.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • photo-9.JPG
    Filename
    photo-9.JPG
    File size
    128.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks perfectly fine so far...

A few notes: You seem to use a different version of Speedsys (f.e.: it measures a "Memory speed index" instead of the usual "Memory bandwith").
I can't make out the version number in the top right corner because the image is not centered on the monitor, but the one we usually use is 4.78 (BTW, the program can save the results into a PCX image by pressing the R key).

There are still some things you could tweak for a bit more performance in some situations, but they come with the risk of an unstable system:
- Overclock the ISA bus even more: ISA Bus Clock: 1/3 PCLK (13.3 MHz instead of 10 MHz)
- Tighter ISA timings: 16-bit I/O Recovery Time: 2 BUSCLK, 8-bit I/O Recovery Time: 3 BUSCLK
- Spread out RAM refresh cycles: Slow DRAM Refresh: Enabled

Finally, I'd like to ask you for a favour: Could you run the Speedsys test with the L1 cache disabled, but L2 cache enabled (BIOS Features Setup -> CPU Internal cache: Disabled, External cache: Enabled) and post your speedsys results here? I'm getting strange results on my board when doing this...

Reply 3 of 10, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, will do. Will check ver # also.

So I went from 7.xMHz ISA to 1/4 bus (10MHz) and in Win95 the EtherLink III card was no longer working. So, I rolled back the ISA clock to 7.xMHz and still issues w/ the Ethernet card. Coincidental w/ something else? Can most cards handle 10MHz ISA? (40MHz bus.)

ISA cards I have: 3Com EtherLink III, GUS, Adaptec 1542.

Thanks...

bp

Reply 5 of 10, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

My AM5x86 @ 160mhz gets 59.79.

Where? What metric is that? Tnx.

bp

Reply 7 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blakespot wrote:

So I went from 7.xMHz ISA to 1/4 bus (10MHz) and in Win95 the EtherLink III card was no longer working. So, I rolled back the ISA clock to 7.xMHz and still issues w/ the Ethernet card. Coincidental w/ something else? Can most cards handle 10MHz ISA? (40MHz bus.)

May be coincidence, it should work with the fixed ISA clock. I've never used an ISA NIC on this board, however I had trouble finding a PCI NIC that would reliably work with the 40 MHz bus.

BTW, found some old 5x86-on-PVI-486SP3 results:
SpeedSys_5x86.png

Reply 8 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find this tool useless for benchmarking. Supposedly slow computers are race horses in other benchmarks.

Stick to 3dbench2, Doom, PCPBENCH and Quake.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I find this tool useless for benchmarking. Supposedly slow computers are race horses in other benchmarks.
Stick to 3dbench2, Doom, PCPBENCH and Quake.

Well, you could say the same about 3dbench and Doom. 😉 And PCPbench heavily depends on bus speeds. AMD 5x86@160 MHz scores the same as Intel DX4@120 MHz.

I agree that the SST CPU score is not very useful in some cases, but the cache/memory graphs are really cool, especially for noobs who don't know how to interpret cachechk readings for example.

Reply 10 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Benchmarking applications themselves are mostly useless. Benchmarks can be heavily optimised for certain hardware and then not be a real representation of how that same hardware performs on real world.

I just see how well my hardware runs the programs i need. If i need something faster i'll buid something faster.