VOGONS

First post, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

so i finally receive a Voodoo 2 PCI card and a Roland SCC-1, I want to dual boot this machine with Windows 95 + Ms-Dos 6.22, right now I only have Windows installed. It's a Gateway2000 G5-200, a Pentium 200MMX, 128 MB RAM, two hard drives, a 8 GB one for Windows and a 1,4 GB one for Dos. It has a AWE64 Gold and a SCC-1 for sound, and a Matrox Mystique 220 + Hercules Stingray 2.

The pictures:

6v65.jpg

c7qh.jpg

ypiq.jpg

p4s3.jpg

wcyi.jpg

But... I need help, right now I'm getting an error when starting Windows, a message saying "glide2x.dll expected Voodoo^2, none detected". I try to install two different drivers but I allways get the same error. I check the card and everything seems to be fine, right now the monitor is connected to the Voodoo card and I can see everything just fine but I keep getting that error, any help?

Last edited by b_rros on 2014-02-09, 10:26. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try another PCI slot. Also does the VOODOO show up at boot up under devices?

There is quick list with IRQ. I believe the Voodoo shows up as Multimedia device.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 15, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forget whats its called exactly but check under I think control panel and system information in windows, i think its the system devices tab or something...the tab that lists hardware. it should be listed their or if no drivers are installed for it it should list as "? multimedia device"

If its not there the card is probably bad. I had a Voodoo one that looks perfect but was bad and could not be detected.

Reply 3 of 15, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already tried a different PCI slot, in the PCI device list the card appears as Multimedia Device, under Windows Device Manager it first appeared as a generic video card and now, after the drivers are installed is identified as a Voodoo card, but the error message is still there.

g19l.jpg

And... to make things worse, I can't hear any sound from my SCC-1 🙁
I can get chkscc to identify the card, but when I try to play a music through chkscc I can't hear nothing!
I tried with two other cards installed, AWE32 and AWE64, and with just the SCC-1...

Reply 4 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since you already tried with just the SCC-1 to get sound, have you verified that the address/irq that the card has jumpered is the same as the test you are running?
Normally the SCC-1 (like every other Roland mpu) will use the IRQ2/9 and 330 address. (mind that in case your other sound cards try to use the same resources, most stuff expect to find a roland mpu @2-9/330)
A quick test is to set the SCC-1 to IRQ2 , Address 330 and leave is as the only sound card in the system. The run some game like DOOM (setup it as Sound Canvas @330) and see if you get music

ps. these speakers are epic, I had them back in the day 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 15, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The source of this message is Voodoo memory remapper - fxmemmap.vxd. I had the same error with my WinME+Voodoo2 PC.
The method to fix this was - to uninstall Voodoo2 drivers then to delete all glide*.dll and fxmemmap.vxd from the HDD. Then to reinstall drivers.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6 of 15, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

The source of this message is Voodoo memory remapper - fxmemmap.vxd. I had the same error with my WinME+Voodoo2 PC.
The method to fix this was - to uninstall Voodoo2 drivers then to delete all glide*.dll and fxmemmap.vxd from the HDD. Then to reinstall drivers.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't have any glide*.dll or fxmemmap.vxd on my machine after uninstalling the drivers. I did that and after installing the drivers again I get the same error.

I'm using Windows 95, DirectX 8, and the latest reference drivers from http://falconfly.de

Reply 7 of 15, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
Since you already tried with just the SCC-1 to get sound, have you verified that the address/irq that the card has jumpered is t […]
Show full quote

Since you already tried with just the SCC-1 to get sound, have you verified that the address/irq that the card has jumpered is the same as the test you are running?
Normally the SCC-1 (like every other Roland mpu) will use the IRQ2/9 and 330 address. (mind that in case your other sound cards try to use the same resources, most stuff expect to find a roland mpu @2-9/330)
A quick test is to set the SCC-1 to IRQ2 , Address 330 and leave is as the only sound card in the system. The run some game like DOOM (setup it as Sound Canvas @330) and see if you get music

ps. these speakers are epic, I had them back in the day 🤣

Those are chosen in the card right?
I have the switches set to 330 adress and the IRQ jumper set to 2... I will install Doom and test.

Reply 9 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes jumpers are on the card itself, since you have it set then you should be OK...
seems this scc-1 is dead or something, another member here recently got a semi-dead one that produced sound but was horrible...
Did the card worked and then developed the fault? or you just bought it like this?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 15, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Better remove the sound canvas card, and see if your voodoo card is working.
I can`t recommend to use this soundcanvas card in a faster pentium 1 rig.. It was more period made for XT till 486 computers.
If you want to have a soundcanvas i better can recommend an external unit..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 12 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is there any visible damage on the scc-1? deep scratches, signs of it been hit by some other object? Corrosion, mold , dirt?

Reply 14 of 15, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The weirdest thing here is that the upper voodoo2 processors on that card seems the be replaced..
Mosly these card came with 3 the same 3dfx processors with 3d logo on it.. So only the lower one seems the be orginal.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 15 of 15, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have seen voodoo2s with a mix of chips , nothing strange here... I think I have one too 🤣