VOGONS

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless I'm missing something here with the card's complex routing, I stumbled upon this quirk. In 98SE DOS I can't get anything out of MIDI-1 (300h) on the front module, only the Dream synth is driven. MIDI-2 (330h) works fine here, though, and both MIDI OUTs also work fine in Windows.

Anyone care to try on their card to confirm?

Reply 1 of 13, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I tried. But it won't work yet. There is no any parameter in MIX files which I can associate with MIDI-1 channel. MIDI Routing redirect MIDI-2 channel to GamePort connector if Extension Module is not connected. But I found not something about MIDI-1 channel. Maybe there are some engineering hidden parameters, I don't know.
d1stortion, did you find any information about this?

Reply 4 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't found any solution for the original problem. Is your goal to have Dream and external playing simultaneously? For me using MIDI-2 is all the same.

Did you get game port MIDI-1 OUT working with FP detached? I'm not sure myself to what extent Ewsmixer affects DOS games, so just in case, there is a .ttm value for this as well.

Reply 5 of 13, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exact but almost. MIDI-2 is not all the same. When I choose MIDI-2 channel the daughterboard always sounds and disturbs external tonegenerator. If I choose MIDI-1 in Windows the Dream processor not sounds and no problems with external sound source. Even if in pure DOS the Dream processor always sounds when choosing MIDI-1 channel we can just clear 94b-bank in SIMM-RAM and all will be OK. And what about daughterboard? I can't pull it out every time I need external sound 😀.
P.S.: separate LINE OUTs connect to amplifier is unacceptably. It is necessary ews64 card mixer could be always present at out sound tract.

Therefore there is original question: is it possible to enable MIDI-1 in pure DOS? And I don't know answer.

Reply 6 of 13, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Did you get game port MIDI-1 OUT working with FP detached? I'm not sure myself to what extent Ewsmixer affects DOS games, so just in case, there is a .ttm value for this as well.

Yes of course I got it in Windows. But I told and I'm telling only about pure DOS without ewsmixer.exe program. And I mean the FP is always connected because it has daughterboard connector and S/PDIF interface.

Reply 7 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look for MIDIRoute in your .ttm, under [MIXER_SETTINGS]. Values should be 1, 2 or OFF. Of course with FP connected only OFF is valid.

As for the daughterboard issue, obviously you have worked around the mute bug with cs32mix. Why not simply mute the CD part then?

Last edited by d1stortion on 2014-04-29, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mute bug is valid for LINE IN too. I use solution that was found by Locutus: loading cs32mix.exe with necessary keys. Of course I can change mixer levels for LINE and CD/SYNTH2 every time but it is not best decision.
d1stortion, thank you very much for your participation. When I met this problem I found your post and decided to ask here.

Reply 10 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the bug was not described in sufficient detail, but it applies to all inputs. It was just most obvious with the DREAM when music got muted. However the DREAM is routed also as an input to the Crystal codec.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 13, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

I use solution that was found by Locutus: loading cs32mix.exe with necessary keys. Of course I can change mixer levels for LINE and CD/SYNTH2 every time but it is not best decision.

OK, but let's say you get MIDI-1 working in DOS as demanded. Wouldn't this mean you'd have to set the mixer anyway when changing from Dream to external? I don't see the procedure for MIDI-2 as much different, and I do it myself that way.

Reply 13 of 13, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I said earlier that daughterboard sounds always. Therefore MIDI-2 is not demanded. In Windows we also see the Dream and MIDI-1 channel are separate but WT-connector and MIDI-2 on FP both are one channel in fact and always receive midi-commands together. I'm very sorry a command in DOS absent that could be redirect midi-stream from Dream to MIDI-1 under one base address (like in Windows).

I will think about other ISA cards to connect MT-32.