VOGONS

Case recommendations?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:
Thanks for spotting that..I stand corrected...I was reading the specs and didn't even look at the photos that closely. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for spotting that..I stand corrected...I was reading the specs and didn't even look at the photos that closely.

The specs say nothing about an external 3.5" drive:

SGCC steel ATX Mid Tower
2 x USB 2.0
Audio In/Out Front Ports
3 External 5.25" Drive Bays
2 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays

Oh well..I still don't like that case anyways and using that external bay means you have to give up one of the internal ones.

Heh, I don't know what's up with Newegg's specs listing on that. The case actually has a crapload (5) of internal 3.5" bays:

ApdJatY.jpg

However, I had to remove and remount a motherboard in there last night and it was so cramped that it nearly sent me into a rage. I ended up having to pull out the hard drive to get the motherboard out. So I don't know why I'm defending this thing! 🤣

Reply 21 of 29, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:

Heh, I don't know what's up with Newegg's specs listing on that. The case actually has a crapload (5) of internal 3.5" bays:

🤣 I stand corrected once again 🤣

Stull wrote:

However, I had to remove and remount a motherboard in there last night and it was so cramped that it nearly sent me into a rage. I ended up having to pull out the hard drive to get the motherboard out. So I don't know why I'm defending this thing! 🤣

🤣 I know what you mean about working in a cramped enclosure...it really can be annoying, but once everything is in and working fine, if it looks good, I usually forget about it within a day or two, but I have wasted many hours of my life that I can't get back working on cases for my retro builds with crappy designs.

You know what's funny though..is that I think I spend (waste) more time researching what cases and hardware are the best to avoid having those issues instead of wasting less time for the most part (in my case) by just jumping into it (like I used to) and learning through a more hands on approach.

Reply 22 of 29, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This case is getting to much attention! Im not much of a fan of it, the poster just wanted cheap cases and stated that even the Antec is a little bit expensive so I posted the cheapest "okish" one I could find on newegg. If you want some more "vintage" cases there are usually some $35 range generic beige cases on sale online. They tend to have really crappy cooling is the only downside I have noticed. Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CABLES-UNLIMITED-Case … =item5af1910ee0

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 23 of 29, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're doing Micro ATX I have 2 of these cases and found them pretty easy to work with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJ0ZGK/r … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reply 25 of 29, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Rosewill case is nice, wish I'd seen that sooner.

I ended up getting two Thermaltake cases, for about $40 each. I was going to go with a cheaper case but these are tool-less and had some other nice features. They also lack bling except for the darn blue LEDs on the fans but I can ditch those.

This was the model I ended up getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16811133179

Not too different from the Rosewill, but that one is a bit more compact I think.

Reply 26 of 29, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finding decent cases these days is hard, especially if you want a clean old beige one for older ATX systems.

I snagged one of those Antec VSK-4000 cases last year when Newegg had a $10 rebate and a cheap price. They are decent for a main work system and I like having a set of 120MM fans for cooling. The 3.5" slot for a floppy is useful.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 27 of 29, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could use some case recommendations, but mostly because I have a very specific requirement:

It needs to have enough clearance on the seventh expansion card slot (very specifically the seventh slot due to the BC875PLG's layout) for an AWE32. Seriously, those things are gigantic, even moreso than a lot of today's graphics cards. I don't think I've found a case that could fit it which wasn't a $100+ full-tower.

In addition, it still needs to have decent airflow so that the Pentium 4 EE 3.2 GHz and GeForce 6800 Ultra don't cook themselves with the side panel on.

If not for the case, then I could actually utilize that AWE32 in place of the AWE64 Gold that's currently installed. I've had intentions of switching for quite a while now, but since Creative just had to release this monstrosity of a sound card that doesn't fit in most of today's cases due to the lower slots usually being blocked off by a hard drive cage or something...

Reply 28 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lian Li PC-9N - enough clearance for even full-length ISA cards.
Silverstone Grandia GD07/GD08 are HTPC chassis large enough to adopt full-length ISA cards; however, I recently bought a GD07 and got disappointed by build quality.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 29 of 29, by X86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Newegg has what looks like some new old stock Antec Performance II cases. I ordered one today !
https://www.newegg.com/black-antec-performanc … =9SIAH41GPA2462