VOGONS

Goldmine or old junk?

Topic actions

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About that "goldmine" I was talking about in the other thread... Well, I was able to pick it up yesterday already. Not sure if you could call it a goldmine or not. It certainly is a lot of old junk. There was waaay too much stuff to take in one go so I just grabbed anything that looked pre-P4 or otherwise interesting, and not too broken. Most things were badly damaged, unfortunately.

He even had four 14" CRTs, but they turned out to be monochrome terminals (one with original keyboard) which I didn't see much use for. Are these worth getting?
Also found a board with AMD 8086 in a badly damaged case. Couldn't get it out of the case quickly so I'll go back soon to get it.

I promised to return any broken or non-interesting parts and pay him afterwards. Could you guys help me identify all this stuff and decide what to keep and what not? Also if you manage to spot anything damaged (other than bent pins) on these low-res pics please let me know!

3aq3.jpg
RAM and CPUs. Left to right, top to bottom:
A bunch of SDRAM. I think I'll keep any 128MB+ and PC133 modules and return the rest.
Athlon64 X2 5000 (ADO5000IAA5DO) Tested: working
Athlon64 3200 (ADA3200DAA4BW)
Athlon64 3200 (ADA3200DAA4BW)
Athlon64 3500 (ADA3500DAA4BW)
Pentium 4 3.2G/2M/800 LGA775 (SL7Z8)
Pentium 4 3.6G/1M/800 LGA775 (SL7J9)
Xeon 2.4G/8M/1088 LGA775 (SLACT)
Mobile Celeron 700 (SL4GX) Looked unusual at first but not worth keeping I think.
Pentium 133 (SU073) Tested: working
K6-2/300AFR
P3 Coppermine 800 (SL4CD)
Celeron 766 (SL4P6)
Celeron 1000 (SL5XQ)
P3 Coppermine 733 (SL4CG)
Athlon XP 1800 (AX1800DMT3C)
Athlon XP 2600 (AXDA2600KV4D)
Slot 1 P3 Coppermine 650 (SL3XK)
Slot 1 P3 Katmai 450 (SL3CC) Doesn't say if it's a P2 or P3 on the case, haven't seen that before. Tested: working
AOpen FC-PGA slocket with Coppermine 650 (SL3XV), 100MHz Tested: working
Pentium 2 300 (SL2YK)

lt91.jpg
Asus P4R800-V Deluxe mPGA478 with onboard RAID

50gn.jpg
Slot 1 board. LEGEND-QDI?
Test results: POSTs fine, battery seems dead. Has a pretty neat 256-colour BIOS logo.

5jf9.jpg
Asus TUSL2-C rev 1.04
Asus CUV4X-E rev 1.05

4wmw.jpg
2x Asus P3B-F rev 1.04
Test results: both power up and POST. Date and time are still stored so the batteries are good too, however one is an hour behind and the other almost a week.

n1lx.jpg
Asus P2B rev 1.02
Test results: shows no signs of life so far...

ry0z.jpg
Intel Professional Workstation board. Looks like the best 486 board ever, with EVERYTHING onboard. Even LAN and SCSI! Unfortunately it is BADLY damaged, beyond repair I think. Guess I'll have to return it...

jc9r.jpg
AOpen AX6BC Slot 1
Test results: Started up at first with 66MHz and 2/3 AGP divider (set to AUTO). The i740 did not like that and showed horrible artifacts everywhere. Works fine after booting with a Rage card and selecting the right settings. Has a BIOS feature to "Save EEPROM defaults" which seems useful. Battery is dead.

8l4l.jpg
Asus P55TP4N Socket 7 with MediaBus 2.0

qzrk.jpg
Intel Advanced/EV "Endeavour", socket 7
Test results: POSTs fine, battery is dead. One cap is missing and another is very loose, have to replace these.

mh39.jpg
left: unknown
right: SuperMicro S7XBE, LGA775

3ls3.jpg
HP server board?

tqji.jpg
ATi Rage 2C
2x ATi 3D Rage Pro Turbo AGP (love that name)
Asus i740 AGP
Cirrus Logic CL543XPCI
Test results: All cards are working fine.

jkm8.jpg
Circuit board with VFDs
PCI IDE controller
PCI-X SCSI controller
PCI 3Com NIC
8-bit ISA NIC
PCI USB2 controller

aq0n.jpg
ESS AudioDrive ES1869
ALS4000 PCI
Opti 924 with YMF262 and vertical wavetable header
Opti 924 with OPL3 clone (LS-212) and Opti 941 wavetable synth

Last edited by jwt27 on 2014-02-13, 20:01. Edited 11 times in total.

Reply 1 of 62, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont think its a gold mine, but just usefull parts.. Why should you return the rest? I think you could better sell those other parts you dont want to use.. If you return the rest, i think it would be processed aswell what should be pity.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lots of stuff, definitely a lot of stuff.
I'm not sure how much it's gonna set you back financially, so I'm not sure what is wise and what isn't, but here goes anyway:
About the SDRAM. Indeed keep the 128MB PC-133 modules, but it might be worthwile to also keep the double sided (2 times 8 chips) PC-66 SDRAM modules as these are the only ones that work fully with the Intel 430VX chipset (other modules it will see only a quarter of so of the correct amount of memory)
Are the Coppermines FSB 100 or FSB 133? If they are 100, then I'd say keep them. Otherwise keep them only if you think it's worth the money they will set you back.
Keep the Celeron 1000, it's 100MHz FSB and quite quick for BX boards
The Celeron 766 is the fastest Celeron for 66MHz FSB, it's a curiosity. I'd keep it (though I would keep a lot if I were me 😁 )
The Athlon64's are for which Socket? 754? 939? AM2? If they are the more recent variants (that eat less power then the first set of Athlon64 chips) then definitely keep them (or give them to me 😁 ). I'm not sure about the dual core Athlon64, it kinda depends for which socket it is. Part numbers would help here.

You should figure out weather the Slot 1 450MHz is a Pentium 2 or 3. If it is a 2, then you got yourself the fastest Slot 1 Pentium 2 ever made.

I'm not sure about the Pentium 4's and the Xeon.

I'll edit or post again about the motherboards though.

Edit: Ditch the Xeon board though, looks like a part of the power connector is brown.
The Asus P55TP4N Socket 7 with MediaBus 2.0 board seems to have a damaged SIMM slot?
That Intel board is most likely that, a board made by Intel. Keep it only if you intend to use it or is very cheap.
Ah ffs, I can't view the post while editing, I'll just make a second post 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 62, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Test everything.
Keep the stuff that works. Return the stuff that dosnt 😀.
I would at least keep all working CPUs as long as you do not have to pay more than a beer or two for them. CPUs are not hard to store 😀.
Its the same with memory.
I think I have ~300 CPUs and more memory modules than I can count.
All those motherboards look to be in ok shape but the 2nd and 3d last are not retro. That isnt the same as saying they are trash though.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-02-11, 18:41. Edited 2 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno about the P4 boards though, but I'd at the very least sell anything that isn't ATX.
The Slot 1 boards look alright. Keep the ASUS ones (especially the P3B's) as it seems ASUS has a magical ring to it, even though I don't find their board particularly special if it is a working unit. The ASUS P2B seems to be an older one that doesn't support Coppermines, so it's use is limited.

About the AGP parts, they aren't anything special, but I guess you can sell them on ebay and use that money to buy yourself a new car 😜
Anyway, the Intel 740 might be interesting in some way I guess. The Cirrus is one of the oldest PCI cards.

And definitely keep the TUSL2-C, it supports Tualatins 😉
The other s370 board doesn't, so keep it if you might want to build a Coppermine rig around it or something or is veeery cheap.

The Asus P4R800-V Deluxe mPGA478 with onboard RAID might have been one of the better s478 boards, seems it supports dual channel. Keep it, unless someone else happen to know weather it's crap or not 😜

Skyscraper wrote:
Test everything. Keep the stuff that works. Return the stuff that dosnt :). I would at least keep all working CPUs as long as yo […]
Show full quote

Test everything.
Keep the stuff that works. Return the stuff that dosnt 😀.
I would at least keep all working CPUs as long as you do not have to pay more than a beer or two for them. CPUs are not hard to store 😀.
Its the same with memory.
I think I have ~300 CPUs and more memory modules than I can count.
All those motherboards look to be ok shape but the last two are not retro but that isnt the same as saying they are trash.

He might not have the time to test though and depending on what the owner wants from him it might be a gamble or not. If it's really very cheap then theres not really a point in taking a day to test them, he should first clear out the treasure chest 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What revisions are the Asus P3B-F? If they are v1.03 or 1.04 they are the best slot1 motherboards you can find (imo).

They support Tualatins (only need pinmodded CPU from Ebay and coppermine supported slotklet) and can run at 133mhz.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 62, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me there is nothing of interest but then again: I am very narrowly OCD about Roland and early SB. In my opinion anything older than Pentium I is very common and easily available on eBay and elsewhere. 😀

Bottom line: do whatever makes you happy! 😀

Reply 7 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone for all your replys so far! 😀

Robin4 wrote:

I dont think its a gold mine, but just usefull parts.. Why should you return the rest? I think you could better sell those other parts you dont want to use.. If you return the rest, i think it would be processed aswell what should be pity.

Yeah I don't like to see all this stuff scrapped either.. But if any of this is already broken beyond repair, it seems useless to keep it.
The Intel PW 486 board for example is just too cool to throw out... On the other hand, just looking at it in this condition makes me sick already.

Tetrium wrote:

Lots of stuff, definitely a lot of stuff.
I'm not sure how much it's gonna set you back financially, so I'm not sure what is wise and what isn't

I don't know, either 😀
He told me to name my price once I figured out what I want to keep, I guess if it's more than the value in precious metals it's okay with him. If I decide to keep everything, what would be a reasonable price, you think?

Tetrium wrote:

About the SDRAM. Indeed keep the 128MB PC-133 modules, but it might be worthwile to also keep the double sided (2 times 8 chips) PC-66 SDRAM modules as these are the only ones that work fully with the Intel 430VX chipset (other modules it will see only a quarter of so of the correct amount of memory)

Alright, thanks, I didn't know that. Will check if there are any of these modules too.

Tetrium wrote:

Are the Coppermines FSB 100 or FSB 133? If they are 100, then I'd say keep them. Otherwise keep them only if you think it's worth the money they will set you back.
Keep the Celeron 1000, it's 100MHz FSB and quite quick for BX boards
The Celeron 766 is the fastest Celeron for 66MHz FSB, it's a curiosity. I'd keep it (though I would keep a lot if I were me 😁 )

All of them are 133, except the one mounted on the slocket, which is a 650 Coppermine at 100MHz.

Tetrium wrote:

The Athlon64's are for which Socket? 754? 939? AM2? If they are the more recent variants (that eat less power then the first set of Athlon64 chips) then definitely keep them (or give them to me 😁 ). I'm not sure about the dual core Athlon64, it kinda depends for which socket it is. Part numbers would help here.

I added part numbers for all CPUs to the first post 😀
The X2 5000+ is socket AM2, the others are 939. I don't have any 939 boards but I believe my sister has an AM2 system. Might be an upgrade for her.

Tetrium wrote:

You should figure out weather the Slot 1 450MHz is a Pentium 2 or 3. If it is a 2, then you got yourself the fastest Slot 1 Pentium 2 ever made.

Just checked, it's a P3 Katmai 🙁

Tetrium wrote:

I'm not sure about the Pentium 4's and the Xeon.

I figured one of the Penitum 4's would make a nice DX9 gaming system, but I don't have any LGA775 boards other than the SuperMicro's I just got. But since these don't have any AGP or PCI-e x16 slots I guess they're not much use for gaming.

Tetrium wrote:

Dunno about the P4 boards though, but I'd at the very least sell anything that isn't ATX.
The Slot 1 boards look alright. Keep the ASUS ones (especially the P3B's) as it seems ASUS has a magical ring to it, even though I don't find their board particularly special if it is a working unit. The ASUS P2B seems to be an older one that doesn't support Coppermines, so it's use is limited.

Yes, this P2B is the earlier revision and does not support 150MHz. It doesn't even have an AGP divider jumper... Guess I could test it though, and sell it if it works.

Tetrium wrote:

And definitely keep the TUSL2-C, it supports Tualatins 😉
The other s370 board doesn't, so keep it if you might want to build a Coppermine rig around it or something or is veeery cheap.

I believe I have another CU4VX with only 2 RAM slots. I could keep this board and ditch the other instead.

Tetrium wrote:

The Asus P4R800-V Deluxe mPGA478 with onboard RAID might have been one of the better s478 boards, seems it supports dual channel. Keep it, unless someone else happen to know weather it's crap or not 😜

Thought it would make a nice upgrade for my current P4 system. Don't recall which board I have now but this one looks waay better 😀

Tetrium wrote:

Edit: Ditch the Xeon board though, looks like a part of the power connector is brown.

You're right, thanks for spotting that! Looks like it's just dirt, though. The PCB traces don't look damaged at all.
I did just notice that one of the RAM slots right below the power connector is missing it's retention clip. Same with the black slot that looks somewhat like an 8-bit ISA slot, below the RAM slots.

Tetrium wrote:

The Asus P55TP4N Socket 7 with MediaBus 2.0 board seems to have a damaged SIMM slot?

Again thanks for spotting! The plastic on two slots is indeed a bit damaged, but the connections look good. I placed some SIMMs in it and they still fit perfectly.

Tetrium wrote:

That Intel board is most likely that, a board made by Intel. Keep it only if you intend to use it or is very cheap.

It doesn't seem to have upgradeable cache, or any cache at all for that matter. Is it any good then?

vetz wrote:

What revisions are the Asus P3B-F? If they are v1.03 or 1.04 they are the best slot1 motherboards you can find (imo).

They support Tualatins (only need pinmodded CPU from Ebay and coppermine supported slotklet) and can run at 133mhz.

Both are rev 1.04, added this to the first post too.
I recently found a P2B rev 1.10 from the same place which I recapped, now I can't decide which board to use here for my fast slot-1 rig 🙁
Having only one ISA slot is a bit of a downside, IMO. Are there any other differences between P2B and P3B?

Reply 8 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your replys so far! :) […]
Show full quote

Thanks everyone for all your replys so far! 😀

I don't know, either 😀
He told me to name my price once I figured out what I want to keep, I guess if it's more than the value in precious metals it's okay with him. If I decide to keep everything, what would be a reasonable price, you think?

I added part numbers for all CPUs to the first post 😀
The X2 5000+ is socket AM2, the others are 939. I don't have any 939 boards but I believe my sister has an AM2 system. Might be an upgrade for her.

Yes, this P2B is the earlier revision and does not support 150MHz. It doesn't even have an AGP divider jumper... Guess I could test it though, and sell it if it works.

I believe I have another CU4VX with only 2 RAM slots. I could keep this board and ditch the other instead.

Thought it would make a nice upgrade for my current P4 system. Don't recall which board I have now but this one looks waay better 😀

You're right, thanks for spotting that! Looks like it's just dirt, though. The PCB traces don't look damaged at all.
I did just notice that one of the RAM slots right below the power connector is missing it's retention clip. Same with the black slot that looks somewhat like an 8-bit ISA slot, below the RAM slots.

Again thanks for spotting! The plastic on two slots is indeed a bit damaged, but the connections look good. I placed some SIMMs in it and they still fit perfectly.

It doesn't seem to have upgradeable cache, or any cache at all for that matter. Is it any good then?

I'm not sure what is reasonable. But chances are good if you take a big lot from him, you can get it cheaply as it saves him a LOT of time selling all the parts individually (or as 1 large lot for that matter). I'd say test the boards and offer him like 5 euro's for each board. If he wants more then you'll need to ditch the board which you think are not worth his price. I don't know what these boards current values are, I'm merely suggesting what I would pay for them.

About the Intel Socket 7 AT board, aren't the 4 chips surrounding the CPU socket the cache modules??

You can find out what cores the Athlon 64's have. Personally I tend to favor Venice ones as those consume less power (can get by with a cheaper powersupply 😁 )

Don't toss your ASUS coppermine board after you replace it, obviously you should sell it, keep it as spare part or give it to someone you know who could use it 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Both are rev 1.04, added this to the first post too.
I recently found a P2B rev 1.10 from the same place which I recapped, now I can't decide which board to use here for my fast slot-1 rig 🙁
Having only one ISA slot is a bit of a downside, IMO. Are there any other differences between P2B and P3B?

On the P3B you can adjust multiplier, FSB, PCI and AGP clock in the BIOS. No need to open the case to move jumpers. That is a huge convenience when you have a retro rig you consider doing some CPU switching on, FSB changes (Voodoo1 cards require 100mhz FSB for DOS Glide games) /or downclock multiplier with a unlocked Pentium II 😀

Beside one less ISA slot on most P3B-F (it was available with 2 slots as well) compared to P2B-F I don't see any reason to use a P2B-F board.

Reply 10 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ASUS board has 256kb Pipeline Burst cache installed on the board, with support for 256kb in COAST module.

The INTEL board probably has the maximum 512KB installed on the board. This is only an educated guess as boards which had the COAST module removed normally came pre-installed with the maximum 512kb supported by the 430FX/VX/TX chipset.
It definitively have some cache!

Reply 11 of 62, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My totaly subjective impression is that the various i440BX boards are the most interesting items. As long as they have at least one ISA slot.

Contrary to vetz I prefer Jumpers/DIP over BIOS settings for FSB and Multi's. And you will understand when you try to set the speed of a CPU that was not the primary goal of the board. (Klamath has a totally different multiplier interpretation compared to Tualatin ES). Or when you want to underclock the FSB but the BIOS does not support that. (looking at you Aopen AX6BC!)

The Asus P2B rev 1.02 (and 1.04) is incapable of going below 1.8V V-Core with its VRM chip. But does have an exotic slow 50MHz FSB setting.

Which revision is that Aopen AX6BC? looks like 1.5. I thought 1.4 was the last revision.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I'm not sure what is reasonable. But chances are good if you take a big lot from him, you can get it cheaply as it saves him a LOT of time selling all the parts individually (or as 1 large lot for that matter). I'd say test the boards and offer him like 5 euro's for each board. If he wants more then you'll need to ditch the board which you think are not worth his price. I don't know what these boards current values are, I'm merely suggesting what I would pay for them.

Three weeks ago I got five mainboards, two (gold HS) CPUs and two slockets from him for €30. Assuming €5 per CPU (IIRC that's the minimum he wanted for them) and €1 for both slockets, I paid €3.80 per board. So I think he would agree with €4-5 for each mainboard.

Tetrium wrote:

About the Intel Socket 7 AT board, aren't the 4 chips surrounding the CPU socket the cache modules??

Ah yes, you're right, two of them are. The chips near the SIMM slots are part of the chipset (S82438FX).
As I just grabbed it from the box one SMD cap fell off, however. On closer inspection, the big cap near the CPU socket is very loose too. So before I can sell or even test it I'll have to replace those, at least.

Tetrium wrote:

Don't toss your ASUS coppermine board after you replace it, obviously you should sell it, keep it as spare part or give it to someone you know who could use it 😜

If it still works, I won't toss it out, of course! 😀 Haven't used it in a long time, but it should still be good.

vetz wrote:

On the P3B you can adjust multiplier, FSB, PCI and AGP clock in the BIOS. No need to open the case to move jumpers. That is a huge convenience when you have a retro rig you consider doing some CPU switching on, FSB changes (Voodoo1 cards require 100mhz FSB for DOS Glide games) /or downclock multiplier with a unlocked Pentium II 😀

Beside one less ISA slot on most P3B-F (it was available with 2 slots as well) compared to P2B-F I don't see any reason to use a P2B-F board.

Are you sure? There's a block of DIP switches on both boards and tables between the PCI slots with FSB/multiplier settings. Like gerwin I prefer DIP/jumpers too, because you don't have to reset the entire CMOS when you hit a frequency where it won't POST.

vetz wrote:

The ASUS board has 256kb Pipeline Burst cache installed on the board, with support for 256kb in COAST module.

The INTEL board probably has the maximum 512KB installed on the board. This is only an educated guess as boards which had the COAST module removed normally came pre-installed with the maximum 512kb supported by the 430FX/VX/TX chipset.
It definitively have some cache!

The cache chips are NEC D431232-A8, so that would be 2x128kB, 8ns I think.

gerwin wrote:

Which revision is that Aopen AX6BC? looks like 1.5. I thought 1.4 was the last revision.

It says 1.5 near the power connector, if that's the revision number then yes 😀

Reply 13 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Are you sure? There's a block of DIP switches on both boards and tables between the PCI slots with FSB/multiplier settings. Like gerwin I prefer DIP/jumpers too, because you don't have to reset the entire CMOS when you hit a frequency where it won't POST.

The DIP switches work as JUMPERS (ASUS provided both the JumperFree technology and regular DIP switches for both users). The problem with the DIP switches is that they only go to 8x multiplier (full range of FSB from 66mhz to 150mhz is offered though). If you want to use quicker CPUs you need to use the BIOS. Another thing the P3B-F offers CPU voltage control in the BIOS (which one of the reasons why it works with Tualatinsas it goe very low). This is not offered by jumpers or BIOS on the P2B-F (you need to change the slotklet voltage jumpers if you are using a S370/FC-PGA cpu)

And you will understand when you try to set the speed of a CPU that was not the primary goal of the board. (Klamath has a totally different multiplier interpretation compared to Tualatin ES). Or when you want to underclock the FSB but the BIOS does not support that. (looking at you Aopen AX6BC!)

Not sure how the multiplier interpretation is relevant here. The BIOS knows when a Pentium II is inserted and when a Tualatin is in it. You can't underclock the FSB below 66mhz on both the P2B-F or the P3B-F (setting it from 66mhz to 150mhz can be done by both BIOS and DIP switches). The BIOS have overclock protection and will reset in almost every case (but I do agree I've had to use the reset jumper once).

Also lets be realistic. How often do you try to find the overclock limit of your Pentium II/III? On NORMAL operation you would either:

1. Change multiplier/FSB on a Pentium II
2. Change FSB on a Pentium III from 133 to 100 or 66.

Both these actions the P3B-F performs more convenient than other boards with jumpers.
I've been playing around with several 440BX boards, but none have ever come close to the Asus P3B-F in my opinion. It is also a very quick board (DOS benchmarks beating other chipsets with a 1.4ghz Tualatin).

If you want to stick with jumpers only, no voltage control and no Tualatin support, then just sell the P3B-F on Ebay/Amibay for some money. I'm sure others will find the features very beneficial 😀

Reply 14 of 62, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

The BIOS knows when a Pentium II is inserted and when a Tualatin is in it.

I cannot speak for the P3B-F. But a Soyo 6BA+III jumperfree mainboard for example. It does detect the CPU type allright, but still:
- Has multiplier option 3.0x to 8.0x in the BIOS. 11 options, essentially missing 5 of the 16 bitcodes, which do have functions.
- When one selects multiplier 6.0x in the BIOS: It triggers 2.0x on a klamath, 6.0x on a Coppermine ES and 14.0x on a Tualeron ES.
Agreed, users with locked retail CPUs could not care less: no benefit and no loss either way.

Some other small related remarks:
-Aopen AXC6B for example, does not allow any FSB below 100MHz with a CPU pinned for 100MHz FSB.
-Most times on a BX, the FSB can be set by SoftFSB or CPUFSB too. Or in rare cases from the DOS prompt.
-For 50MHz FSB on a BX, the mainboard needs a specific PLL chip. There are two ICS PLLs, which do 50 to 133MHz in 8 steps.
-The early Asus P2B has a jumperfree option too, but one needs to solder a jumper to the board to enable it in the BIOS.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 62, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Anyway, the Intel 740 might be interesting in some way I guess.

Agreed. It is one of the less common video cards. Although there is no real reason to have it except experimenting or collecting, it does not support any proprietary 3D APIs, just Direct3D and OpenGL.

Reply 17 of 62, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Agreed. It is one of the less common video cards. Although there is no real reason to have it except experimenting or collecting, it does not support any proprietary 3D APIs, just Direct3D and OpenGL.

i740 cards in AGP are actually more common than you think.There's usually between two and ten of them for sale on ebay USA on any given day. It's only the PCI cards that are anywhere close to rare because they weren't released until right before Intel decided to give up on marketing i740 as discrete graphics and integrated it into their chipsets instead.

There's a bunch of them here right now and I'm sure I could find more by broadening my search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=intel+ag … 40&_sacat=58058

Reply 18 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
i740 cards in AGP are actually more common than you think.There's usually between two and ten of them for sale on ebay USA on an […]
Show full quote
idspispopd wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

i740 cards in AGP are actually more common than you think.There's usually between two and ten of them for sale on ebay USA on any given day. It's only the PCI cards that are anywhere close to rare because they weren't released until right before Intel decided to give up on marketing i740 as discrete graphics and integrated it into their chipsets instead.

There's a bunch of them here right now and I'm sure I could find more by broadening my search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=intel+ag … 40&_sacat=58058

If I do your exact search in the Dutch ebay for the entire European Union, I get this:
One Intel 740 ghaphics card
One Fujitsu Siemens DVI only card with a single very small chip on it (really tiny)
One Socket 478 mainboard
2 laptop processors
And 2 laptops with Core i7 CPU

I mean wtf is up with ebay in The Netherlands???

Heres the link
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but ebay for some reason is only finding unrelated CRAP for me.

Edit: But if I change the url from ebay.nl to ebay.de, I suddenly find all kinds of stuff. Really very strange and annoying...

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 62, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
If I do your exact search in the Dutch ebay for the entire European Union, I get this: One Intel 740 ghaphics card One Fujitsu S […]
Show full quote

If I do your exact search in the Dutch ebay for the entire European Union, I get this:
One Intel 740 ghaphics card
One Fujitsu Siemens DVI only card with a single very small chip on it (really tiny)
One Socket 478 mainboard
2 laptop processors
And 2 laptops with Core i7 CPU

I mean wtf is up with ebay in The Netherlands???

Heres the link
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but ebay for some reason is only finding unrelated CRAP for me.

Edit: But if I change the url from ebay.nl to ebay.de, I suddenly find all kinds of stuff. Really very strange and annoying...

How's your Italian?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheda-video-Power-Co … =item58aa9e3abe

or French?

www.ebay.com/itm/video-Power-Color-C740 ... rtes_Vidéo