VOGONS

Goldmine or old junk?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I pulled the RAM out, looked really angry at it, and put it back in. That seems to have fixed it for now. Before anyone asks, I tried that on the Asus board too already and it didn't make any difference. In any case, this experiment left me with a nice new desktop wallpaper: http://imageshack.com/a/img853/1755/eh0e.jpg

SquallStrife wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Tried one of the P3B-F boards again too (the one that seemed unstable, and where the clock was a week behind). I restarted it a few times without changing any parts and each time I had to wait about 10 seconds before it would POST. So that seems wrong, to start with.

I've experienced that with a few boards over time, what usually fixes it is putting in a new clock battery.

Will try that tomorrow on the other P3B-F, thanks for the tip!

ODwilly wrote:

Am I the only one who looks at that Intel 486 board, sees all the horrible damage to it and thinks "what if it WORKS?" 0.o

In its current state, I don't think it would do much besides catching fire. If I were to try it out I'd first have to clean it, fix THIS and replace THAT. That might slightly reduce the chance of spontaneous combustion.
Anyone knows what that white "card" is though, and the brown PCI-ish slot near the CPU?
More gruesome pictures below. Only click if you have a really strong stomach!
http://imageshack.com/a/img829/319/hnko.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img835/1937/94xn.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img836/6695/vmgp.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img812/2919/l0zh.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img547/2615/g2q1.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img35/2292/qaia.jpg

RacoonRider wrote:

And you should probably keep the riser board from 486 mobo!

Good idea. The card edge doesn't look like it's a proprietary connector, it should fit in any EISA slot.

gerwin wrote:
Wow, so it seems to react to pushing and soldering the mosfets, but not in a positive way at all. sorry to hear that. I found m […]
Show full quote

Wow, so it seems to react to pushing and soldering the mosfets, but not in a positive way at all. sorry to hear that.
I found my old notes on the Asus P2B (knowing you are dealing with a P3B-F):
"Asus P2B Before the Mosfet fix: No post with just blinking power and HDD LED, no Fans spinning up, no Beeps, and the 'Fault' pin of the VRM chip being 'high'."

Also, I found the the P2B can typically 'play dead'. After trying a VIA CPU on a cheap slotket for example (I blame the slotket). It then seems to be dead afterwards, but when trying again the next morning; it works again. I don't like these jokes.

I'm not even sure if it was related to that mosfet at all. It was firmly attached to the board already, and pressing on it would have flexed the entire board a bit, possibly aggravating a hairline crack somewhere else. This board is very dusty too, which may have something to do with it, although conductive dust would be something new to me.

Reply 41 of 62, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

jwt - the "fire damage" was the brown/burned parts on the HP board. It looked, at least to me, like the connector had shorted/burned while running (I've seen boards do this in past). Maybe it's just gunk though.

Really surprised that SuperMicro is ATX! That with the Xeon would be a great machine, assuming there's no problems with it, and assuming you don't need a very modern graphics card (e.g. if something like a Radeon HD 5450 is good enough for what you do). I would *not* put power in that 486 board... 😮

Reply 42 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Returned some stuff yesterday. Guess what..? I came back with more!

Wall of pictures ahead. Again, help with identification is appreciated!

u9sq.jpg
CPUs:
Slot P2 350 (SL356)
Slot P3 550 (SL3FJ)
Slot P2 (SL2WZ)
s478 Prescott 3.0GHz (SL7PM)
s478 Prescott 3.0GHz (SL7E4)
s478 Prescott 3.2GHz (SL7E5) Tested: working (heating up this room as I type)
ST 6x86 P150+
Pentium 150 (SU071)
Pentium 166 (SY037)
Pentium MMX (SL27S)
AMD K6-2/500AFX
P3 Coppermine (SL3VK)
P3 Coppermine 933 (SL5DW)
P3 Coppermine 1000 (SL5FQ)
Athlon XP 2800+ (AXMJ2800FHQ4C)

rwkm.jpg
ISA video:
Unknown (likely a Trident)
Tseng ET4000

h7qh.jpg
AGP video:
Unknown (GF2MX?)
Diamond unknown
Unknown
ASUS V7100MAGIC/32M ?
Unknown (Fujitsu-Siemens GM1000-16?)
Club3D M64?

jwvq.jpg
AGP video:
Matrox?
Nvidia VANTA-16?
WinFast A180 DDR?

2kjx.jpg
PCI video:
Pinnacle capture card?
ATi 3D Rage Pro PCI
Sigma Designs REALmagic EM8300
ATi Mach32

03q8.jpg
PCI audio:
Ensoniq ES1370 AudioPCI
Diamond Technology DT0398
CT4750
Aureal Vortex AU8820B2

epbl.jpg
PCI audio:
3x SB Live (CT4830, SB0100, SB0220)
2x CT4810
2x CMI8738
2x CMI8738-6ch

755z.jpg
ISA audio:
SB16 Value CT2770
Toptek Golden Sound (with SMD YM3812)
AWE64 CT4520
SB Vibra16 CT4170
ALS100 (why did I even take this...)

m4m6.jpg
Compaq 3x ISA riser card
Compaq 3x ISA, 3x PCI riser card
Amplimo 2x25V, 300VA transformer
PCI SCSI controller
Acer 5105?
TEAC CD-55A, 8-bit ISA CD-ROM controller?
Asus Gameport/RS232 daughterboard
Asus S/PDIF I/O bracket

cv93.jpg
3Com Etherlink XL PCI
3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI
PCI-X 8xSATA controller
PCI USB controller

tu27.jpg
Wyse WY-60 terminal

wvrh.jpg
BTC Professional 5339 keyboard. Switches feel capacitive, might be NKRO. Will return to look for the missing shift key!

zjh3.jpg
Philips NMS1437 dot-matrix printer

y4df.jpg
MOAR SDRAM! Also 2x EDO SIMMs and 2x DDR2 (to test the SuperMicro board)

o90a.jpg
Hyunday Super-16X mainboard, AMD 8088. You can guess the condition of the case I pulled it out by looking at the connectors. Battery seems to have leaked all over.

Any of this worth keeping?

Reply 46 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it looks pretty neat and well-built. Really heavy all-steel construction with thick plastic covers, and made in Japan!
The white mark on the translucent cover looked like a scratch at first but it came right off with isopropanol.

Needs some fixing though, one of the clamps that hold perforated paper to the drive mechanism snapped off. Luckily the spring kept all parts together, I'll see if I can fix it with cyanoacrylate.

Reply 48 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It works! I just printed the internet!

v7ei.jpg
qzoo.jpg

Would be nice if I could find a service manual for it, the chain/belt that drives the printing head slips rather often.

Reply 49 of 62, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two of those BTC 5339 keyboards; they're full NKRO, foam-and-foil capacitive boards.

Too bad I don't like their linear, mushy feel or oversized Enter keys. Otherwise, I'd consider using them more often. Perhaps they just need a refurb, or perhaps a conversion to a Topre-style switching mechanism.

And if you're wondering, my preferred keyboard is an IBM Model M 1391401, just like you show in all your pictures here. Only 2KRO, but the matrix generally hasn't screwed me over like on certain other boards. (Dell AT101W, I'm looking at YOU...)

Reply 50 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPUs:
Slot P2 350 (SL356)
Slot P3 550 (SL3FJ)
Slot P2 (SL2WZ)
s478 Prescott 3.0GHz (SL7PM)
s478 Prescott 3.0GHz (SL7E4)
s478 Prescott 3.2GHz (SL7E5) Tested: working (heating up this room as I type)
ST 6x86 P150+
Pentium 150 (SU071)
Pentium 166 (SY037)
Pentium MMX (SL27S)
AMD K6-2/500AFX
P3 Coppermine (SL3VK)
P3 Coppermine 933 (SL5DW)
P3 Coppermine 1000 (SL5FQ)
Athlon XP 2800+ (AXMJ2800FHQ4C)

Keep the Athlon XP! 😁
The Pentium MMX chips are the fastest desktop MMX chips ever made, keep them as these are really good 😀 (a 5 second google search for "SL27S" revealed they were 233MHz parts).
I'd say keep the 933 and 1000 Coppermines. The SL3VK is a 667MHz part. Could be interesting if you want to underclock it as it's one of the slowest 133MHz FSB Coppermines for s370.
Keep the ST 6x86 P150+. The 2 Pentiums...the 150MHz part is I think a bit more rare and also keep the 166MHz part if you don't already have a faster one (fastest was 200MHz)
The 2 Pentium 2 350's don't seem that special to me, these are the slowest 100MHz FSB parts and iirc these were always multiplier locked.
Keep the 550MHz part and also keep the Prescotts if they are cheap (at the least keep the fastest one)

AGP video:
Unknown (GF2MX?)
Diamond unknown
Unknown
ASUS V7100MAGIC/32M ?
Unknown (Fujitsu-Siemens GM1000-16?)
Club3D M64?

The 2 bottom cards in this pic look a lot like TNT2 Model 64 cards. These cards are kinda slow (about as slow or fast as a TNT1). As they are AGP, they might have a use but personally, these cards are all over the place and unless someone else can think of a particular reason why these cards are any good, I'd not keep them (unless they are free of course 😁 )

I quickly scanned through the rest. Keep the ISA soundblasters and also keep the Live!'s. The PCI128 soundblaster only keep if they are cheap or someone else has a specific use for them. I think these are alright. I don't know about the non-creative stuff though as I'm not soo familiar with the non-creative sound cards myself.

The RAM keep the large capacity ones that work and especially if they are quick (like PC-133 etc). If the EDO modules are 16 megs (if the chips have 6 legs per side and not 5) then I'd keep them.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 52 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:
It works! I just printed the internet! […]
Show full quote

It works! I just printed the internet!

v7ei.jpg
qzoo.jpg

Would be nice if I could find a service manual for it, the chain/belt that drives the printing head slips rather often.

Found one in a museum in the Netherlands.
http://www.el.utwente.nl/studieverzameling/in … ual%26id%3D1240

If they're helpful, LMK: I need a scan/photocopy of their Epson TX-80 manual 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 53 of 62, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On that Hyunday Super-16X mainboard, if i you i should take al parts / capacitors, ect from that board. Maybe they would usefull later to make broken boards with it.. And that thow that empy PCB away..
If i have a good quality desolder station, i will remove every usefull parts i can.. Imagine some resistors or other components are very hard to find.. Some are really impossible to look for..
So i clean out all of my electronic boards.. And store the usefull parts.. And ditch the empy boards..

I have now 4 boards to clean out..

But i dont think you would find a riser compatible case now in 2014 wich is 4 or 5 slots high.. Its already very hard to find a good looking AT case..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 55 of 62, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agree on the bottom two graphics cards likely being TNT2s (they look relatively similar to mine), can you flip the other unknowns and look for either FCC ID tags or some other number marking? (Or take higher rez pictures of the front/back) Alternately just make AIDA read them - it'll take a few minutes but it should tell you what you've got.

As far as keeping TNT2s - since they're AGP I honestly can't think of much reason unless you want/need some basic AGP spare cards that'll work on a fairly wide range of hardware and not use a ton of power. If they were PCI they'd be useful for hooking up additional monitors with a newer system - there are compatible drivers from nVidia that will let them co-exist with much newer hardware (at least GeForce FX if not 6 - the newest driver that will support TNT2 is 61.77) under 2000/XP (no x64 support though).

The "winner" of the group looks to be the Leadtek - WinFast A180 DDR is a GeForce 4 MX 440-8x. The Asus V7100 is a GeForce 2 MX - from your pic it also looks like it has TV out.

On the Compaq "riser boards" - I had two HPs years ago that had those, they mate to a motherboard that provides a Slot 1 CPU and SDRAM. I think they're proprietary but I don't know that for certain. They weren't bad systems though.

The Athlon is not an XP 2800+, at least assuming the #s you read are correct, its an AthlonXP Mobile; http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile%2 … J2800FHQ4C.html

Probably means you have more overclocking options, but I don't remember the XP-M 2800 being a "popular" chip for overclockers - it is a 512k Barton though, so it's among the most powerful AthlonXP chips available.

Reply 56 of 62, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

I have two of those BTC 5339 keyboards; they're full NKRO, foam-and-foil capacitive boards.

Too bad I don't like their linear, mushy feel or oversized Enter keys. Otherwise, I'd consider using them more often. Perhaps they just need a refurb, or perhaps a conversion to a Topre-style switching mechanism.

And if you're wondering, my preferred keyboard is an IBM Model M 1391401, just like you show in all your pictures here. Only 2KRO, but the matrix generally hasn't screwed me over like on certain other boards. (Dell AT101W, I'm looking at YOU...)

Thanks for confirming that! I agree the keys don't feel all that great, reminds me of the Amstrad CPC I have in the attic somewhere. But I think that "foamy" feel at the end is something inherent to capacitive switches, after all there's a piece of foam right below the key!
In any case it's pretty noisy so that's an improvement over the average rubber-dome board already 🤣
I have another capacitive NKRO keyboard with slightly more tactile key feel, but I managed to break the enter and backspace keys while cleaning it... 🙁

I also agree the Model M matrix is really good, and so far I've never hit the rollover during "normal" use, like playing games with arrow keys or quake-style keys. But split-screen multiplayer games have been less successful.
The main reason I could use another NKRO keyboard is Adlib Tracker... It's really easy to hit the 2KRO limit while experimenting in the instrument editor.

PeterLI wrote:

Lachen! That is fun. I should get a matrix printer. 😀 And annoy my wife out of the house! 😀

The noise this thing makes is really awesome.. I should get a roll of perforated paper and let it print all day 🤣

Stiletto wrote:

Found one in a museum in the Netherlands.
http://www.el.utwente.nl/studieverzameling/in … ual%26id%3D1240

If they're helpful, LMK: I need a scan/photocopy of their Epson TX-80 manual 😀

Thanks, but I fixed it already. I loosened the drive belt a bit and applied some light silicone oil to the rod where the printer head moves along, and that did the trick. Turned out the belt was not actually slipping, but the stepper motor was.
I also found out that the ribbon drive gears would no longer engage because of lack of friction, a dab of thick grease fixed that too.

These people do have some really cool stuff for sale though! Will see if I can contact them.

obobskivich wrote:

Agree on the bottom two graphics cards likely being TNT2s (they look relatively similar to mine), can you flip the other unknowns and look for either FCC ID tags or some other number marking? (Or take higher rez pictures of the front/back) Alternately just make AIDA read them - it'll take a few minutes but it should tell you what you've got.

I haven't had a close look at the AGP cards yet, will do that later today 😀

obobskivich wrote:

As far as keeping TNT2s - since they're AGP I honestly can't think of much reason unless you want/need some basic AGP spare cards that'll work on a fairly wide range of hardware and not use a ton of power. If they were PCI they'd be useful for hooking up additional monitors with a newer system - there are compatible drivers from nVidia that will let them co-exist with much newer hardware (at least GeForce FX if not 6 - the newest driver that will support TNT2 is 61.77) under 2000/XP (no x64 support though).

Yeah I already have a bunch of TNT2s, probably better to get rid of these...

obobskivich wrote:

The "winner" of the group looks to be the Leadtek - WinFast A180 DDR is a GeForce 4 MX 440-8x. The Asus V7100 is a GeForce 2 MX - from your pic it also looks like it has TV out.

What makes this card a "winner", exactly? I thought GF4MX are pretty common and not all that fast.

obobskivich wrote:

The Athlon is not an XP 2800+, at least assuming the #s you read are correct, its an AthlonXP Mobile; http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile%2 … J2800FHQ4C.html

Probably means you have more overclocking options, but I don't remember the XP-M 2800 being a "popular" chip for overclockers - it is a 512k Barton though, so it's among the most powerful AthlonXP chips available.

Interesting! I didn't actually look up the part number yet, just figured it would be a standard Athlon XP 2800 since it's a Socket A cpu with "2800" in the part number. Looks like a nice CPU to try in the KT7A-RAID I got earlier 😀

PeterLI wrote:

Where do you find all the time to do all this? I am happy when I get to play a game for an hour or so during weekdays and spend a few hours on the weekends on this hobby. 😊

I currently don't have a job, that "helps" a bit I guess... However I have a job interview next week so there's a big chance all of this stuff ends up in the attic for a very long time.

Robin4 wrote:
On that Hyunday Super-16X mainboard, if i you i should take al parts / capacitors, ect from that board. Maybe they would usefull […]
Show full quote

On that Hyunday Super-16X mainboard, if i you i should take al parts / capacitors, ect from that board. Maybe they would usefull later to make broken boards with it.. And that thow that empy PCB away..
If i have a good quality desolder station, i will remove every usefull parts i can.. Imagine some resistors or other components are very hard to find.. Some are really impossible to look for..
So i clean out all of my electronic boards.. And store the usefull parts.. And ditch the empy boards..

I have now 4 boards to clean out..

But i dont think you would find a riser compatible case now in 2014 wich is 4 or 5 slots high.. Its already very hard to find a good looking AT case..

I'll see if I can get it to power up first, if not I could either return it or keep it for spare parts. Okay I know I'll choose the latter, my attic is filled with broken junk for spare parts 🤣

The case it came from looked really cool but it was so beaten up it wasn't worth taking. I found an identical machine too but it was in even worse condition: the mainboard was cracked in half.

Tetrium wrote:
Keep the Athlon XP! :D The Pentium MMX chips are the fastest desktop MMX chips ever made, keep them as these are really good :) […]
Show full quote

Keep the Athlon XP! 😁
The Pentium MMX chips are the fastest desktop MMX chips ever made, keep them as these are really good 😀 (a 5 second google search for "SL27S" revealed they were 233MHz parts).
I'd say keep the 933 and 1000 Coppermines. The SL3VK is a 667MHz part. Could be interesting if you want to underclock it as it's one of the slowest 133MHz FSB Coppermines for s370.
Keep the ST 6x86 P150+. The 2 Pentiums...the 150MHz part is I think a bit more rare and also keep the 166MHz part if you don't already have a faster one (fastest was 200MHz)
The 2 Pentium 2 350's don't seem that special to me, these are the slowest 100MHz FSB parts and iirc these were always multiplier locked.
Keep the 550MHz part and also keep the Prescotts if they are cheap (at the least keep the fastest one)

I'll sort out my cpu collection and return or sell any doubles. They aren't very expensive (compared to ebay etc) but not exactly free either.

Tetrium wrote:

The 2 bottom cards in this pic look a lot like TNT2 Model 64 cards. These cards are kinda slow (about as slow or fast as a TNT1). As they are AGP, they might have a use but personally, these cards are all over the place and unless someone else can think of a particular reason why these cards are any good, I'd not keep them (unless they are free of course 😁 )

I pay per kg for cards and ram 🤣 If I return less than 1kg I might as well keep all of it, of course. Most of this is not all that useful but I still think it's a waste to scrap working parts.

Tetrium wrote:

I quickly scanned through the rest. Keep the ISA soundblasters and also keep the Live!'s. The PCI128 soundblaster only keep if they are cheap or someone else has a specific use for them. I think these are alright. I don't know about the non-creative stuff though as I'm not soo familiar with the non-creative sound cards myself.

Not sure if there's any point in keeping the SB Live cards. I think I already have three or so of these. Anything special about them?
What about the Toptek card? It looks kinda interesting with its neon green/yellow PCB 🤣
It has a gameport and YM2813 so it's at least compatible with MPU-401 and Adlib. Might be something for my IBM 5150.

Reply 57 of 62, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GF4 was the "winner" in my view because it's both likely the fastest of the group, and a low-profile card. Leadtek is also, in my experience, a good board maker. It should be just as compatible as the GF2s (and probably as the TNTs) as well. I saw all of those things as advantages for it. But yes, GeForce 4 MX 440-8x is a fairly common card. That isn't a bad thing by itself though - common means supported.

The XP-M should be a nice clocker or at bare minimum be able to run cooler than a stock desktop chip. It *should* have an unlocked multiplier as well, but I don't know a whole lot about the 2800+. I know the 2400+ chips are unlocked, and will boot up at 500MHz in most desktop boards as a result (lowest clock x multi setting they support); don't be surprised if the 2800 pulls something similar on you.

As far as the Live! cards go - the only thing "special" that comes to mind is some of them support digital I/O via S/PDIF, which can be useful to have (and which a lot of motherboards don't have (or only have on headers), even if they have integrated audio). Otherwise nothing spectacular. Probably better than no-name generic audio cards/codecs though - if that matters.

Reply 58 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to be clear, the TNT2's are NOT regular TNT2's. The cards you have are TNT2 model 64 cards which have a 64bit memory bus while the regular TNT2's have a 128bit memory bus. If I had to pick either the model 64's or the live's, I'd pick the lives.
iirc the particular GF4MX mentioned is one of the speediest GF MX cards ever made.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 59 of 62, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Video cards are easy to store, keeep all working ones as long as you do not have to pay more than $1 per card?
I would keep all sound cards aswell but I do have lots of space for boxes with old junk 😀.

If you have to pay more than one dollar per card I would try to make the "scrap dude" understand that they are not worth more.
If that dosnt work I would only pick the raisins.

The ISA cards and that PCI-X SATA controller looks intresting, be sure to save those.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-02-19, 14:16. Edited 2 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.