Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome!

I must get myself one of these 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Audigy 2 ZS is about as good as they get. There are some Audigy 2/4 Platinum cards which in theory could sound ever so slightly better. I have an X-Fi Elite Pro and an Audigy 2 ZS and frankly I can't tell the difference between them. The plain Audigy 4 is great too.

Agreed. It's also worth noting that excepting the "Pro" models (with the external breakout box), there isn't usually any difference between the "normal" and "Platinum" boards; for example the 2 ZS and 2 ZS Platinum are the same PCI card, the Platinum just adds the front-panel device. You can add the device to a compatible card later (Creative used to sell them as an ~$80 upgrade to existing PCI cards) if you find that you need the connectivity features. The "Pro" boards (like Audigy 4 Pro) generally have slightly higher specs but move most of their connectivity onto the breakout box (which could be a negative if you don't have room for the thing; or conversely if you're buying one used and the seller doesn't have the box).

Mau1wurf1977: Personally I'd go with an Audigy even under XP - I loathe the X-Fi's drivers (specifically the "mode switching" mess), and the EAX 5 functionality is only used by a few games.

Reply 22 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Under XP you can't go wrong with a PCIe X-Fi Titanium. Best X-Fi card there is.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Under XP you can't go wrong with a PCIe X-Fi Titanium. Best X-Fi card there is.

Yeah I would actually recommend staying away from the PCI X-Fi cards. They are very sensitive to PCI bus issues.

Reply 25 of 30, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Ever tried non-Creative cards? Like VIA or C-Media boards? Should be fairly compatible with older hardware and give you hardware audio, and it'd certainly be something different. 😀

On my two previous systems I used a Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 with VIA Envy chipset. It's excellent in terms of sound quality (assuming that the card comes with good quality DACs) and it has great features for the semi-pro musician or even for things like multi-channel playback of music (DVD-A) or movies. In terms of pure sound quality, it's easily comparable with the best from Creative Labs, at least up until the X-Fi Titanium HD, which means better than most people's speakers/sound systems can tell apart. For gaming however, I'd argue that Creative Labs and EAX is the way to go. There are also some Auzentech cards with X-Fi chips that have really good DACs and also built in headphone amplifiers, which might be highly compelling options.
If the goal is to get DOS compatibility however, I'm not sure I'd go beyond an SB Live! with SB-Link.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 27 of 30, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, giving this old topic a new impuls.

I currently have 2 Audigy's. The Audigy (SB0090) and the Audigy 2 Value (SB0400). The first one is in a Core2Duo E8600 system running Windows XP as one of my retro pc's.
It works, but EAX gives trouble in some games eg. Doom3. My guess lack of EAX 4 support and/or old driver. The second card was in a Pentium 4 test system running Windows XP. In this test system with the SB0400 Doom 3 worked flaweless with EAX. This Pentium 4 system was a test bench system and I want to know if I am better off using this Audigy 2 Value in my Core2Duo, replacing the Audigy for good. Is the SB0400 a better quality soundcard, supperior to the SB0090?

FIC 486-VIP-IO2 | Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz Overdrive | PicoGus
MSI MS-6168 | Intel Pentium 233 MMX | Sound Blaster Live
Asus P2B |Intel Pentium III 550 | Yamaha Audician 32 + Dreamblaster
MSI P35 Platinum | Intel Core2Duo E8600 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Reply 28 of 30, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SB0400 is basically a full Audigy 2 without firewire and DTS-ES so definitely a good card despite the value name.

I wouldn't say the SB0090 is a bad card more like the SB0400 is a later revision so benefits from newer drivers etc so would put that in your main rig.

Reply 29 of 30, by rolierop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your reaction. I will swap them
👍

FIC 486-VIP-IO2 | Intel 486DX2 66 Mhz Overdrive | PicoGus
MSI MS-6168 | Intel Pentium 233 MMX | Sound Blaster Live
Asus P2B |Intel Pentium III 550 | Yamaha Audician 32 + Dreamblaster
MSI P35 Platinum | Intel Core2Duo E8600 | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

Reply 30 of 30, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an audigy when it was new back in the day, for my pentium 4. It is an SB0090. This card resamples rather badly to 48kHz to pass signals through dsp, affecting playback of 44k1 music. Something noteworthy is that its 5.25 inch drive bay extention has its own Wolfson DAC for the front headphone port that sounds absolutely fabulous.

I also have an audigy 2 zs, sb0350. This card sounds better than the sb0090. Its dsp is also a bit bigger, it can do 10 band EQ with the kX driver.