VOGONS

First post, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings to all! I have known this forum (and accompanying wiki) for a while but this is my first time posting. This place has been a valuable source of information for both retro build and software configurations, and I hope to be able to contribute to the community from my couple years' experience on my retro gaming system projects.

Alas, there is one matter I have run into that I could not find information on; not sure if it is unique but it was definitely unexpected. I picked up a Roland LAPC-I a while back and now have a system with a nice AX6BC motherboard (and accompanying power supply w/ -5 volt connection) to try it with. However, I cannot seem to physically insert the card completely into either of the two ISA slots. It may not be a problem with the slots themselves because I have a Sound Blaster AWE64 that completely fits in either of them no problem. Thing is, it is always the same end of the card that will not go down, the end closer to the external connectors; with the other end going down just find the card is stuck at an angle like a half-inserted game cartridge.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 1 of 4, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@BaronSFel001, Hi and welcome to vogons!

Assuming your case is obviously long enough to cater for the length of the LAPC-I, normally if the card is not fully inserted on one side it means that your motherboard is not seated properly and is slightly bowed. With some older cases there is several plastic standoffs that lock the motherboard into the case. Check to see if 1 or more of these plastic standoffs are correctly inserted. Also if you have a combination of motherboard screws and plastic standoffs, check to see if the motherboard screws are not pushing the motherboard down slightly further than the standoffs as this will also cause the motherboard to bow. Usually the 2 screws on the left hand side. This is assuming you have plastic standoffs holding the motherboard down of course.

If all the above is fine, then bend the bottom of the LAPC-I slot plate slightly before inserting the card into the slot as sometimes this is all it takes to seat the card that further few millimetres into the slot.

Hope this all makes sense 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that made sense, thanks. Actually, the motherboard seems fine but I think your answer helped find the cause: the metal notch at the bottom end of the external connectors on the LAPC-I appears not to fit between the motherboard and the case. I compared it to my AWE64 that inserts fine and the notch on the AWE64 is definitely thinner. At this point I wonder if a little work with pliers may do the trick.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 3 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that this forum is for Windows games. For old hardware, ask in Marvin.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 4, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes in some computer cases you will have to get a pair of pliers and grip the little "tooth" on the bottom end of the metal bracket on some cards and give it a very minor / small bend one way or the other to get in some cases. I've had to do this several times to get cards to fit. If you're careful it shouldn't damage the card, but you can usually take the metal bracket off and do it then put it back on if you're worried. This may help your situation, maybe?