VOGONS

First post, by elodman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.

Could someone plz. inform me, if a Gravis Ultrasound Classic can somehow be connected to a modern PC - for usage either with retro DOS/Win versions or with e.g. DosBox?

Issues: methinks GUS has an ISA slot, but my mobo (GA-880GM-UD2H) has PCI-E 2.0.

Thanx.

Last edited by elodman on 2014-02-15, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@elodman, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unless you've got an isa slot then the answer is no! I'm pretty sure dosbox emulates Gus anyway. I prefer not to ever use emulators so I wouldn't really know.

Reply 2 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:

I prefer not to ever use emulators so I wouldn't really know.

Then why did you wander into the DOSBox General forum, silly? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 11, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Stiletto, ahhh so I did! Haha I didn't even look at which section I was in. Sometimes I just click on "view active topics" and it brings up a list of all the recent stuff. I'm always reading through everything to either learn from others and contribute when I can.

Reply 5 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be honest, if you drop the "for use in DOSBox" part of your question, you'll get much better answers in "Marvin". We'll even move the thread there if you like. It doesn't terribly make your question different.

But:
- There are a few modern motherboards with ISA slots, mostly Intel based. These are usually called "industrial motherboards". They do not work with most classic soundcards that need DMA support (IIRC)
- There's a goofy ISA-to-USB adapter or two out there, I don't know if anyone's ever had the courage and money to test one. It's widely assumed it wouldn't work because drivers that allow direct access to the card (which your DOS apps would use, not Windows) would still need to be written.
- Either way you'd still likely need card drivers for your modern OS, good luck with that.
- Finally, DOSBox is a portable app and the solution you'd come up with would be OS-specific. You'd need a lot of developer help to make it cross-platform.
- If you need ISA support, you're better off building a retro rig. Fastest you can go has been debated around here before (I should find all the threads) but it's around Socket 478.

I'd just use DOSBox's Gravis Ultrasound emulation, it's pretty good, and if you already have a modern PC, you have the horsepower 😀

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 11, by elodman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetz Stiletto!

Gr8 Thanx for thy fine, detailed pieces of info!
Yes, these possibilities are not too charming at 1st glance. Will try to discover thy tips, suggestions, of which I have never heard.
(Currently I own this GUS card, but wondering if should sell it. Will try DosBox GUS emu, too.)
Yes, perhaps moving to a correct place in these forum would be quite fine. (so I edited the op a bit.)
Thanx bye.

Reply 8 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's sorta-kinda related to this:

If someone has time, the Ultimate ISA-on-modern-PCs article is worth a write-up.
But there's several long threads here... somewhere. Use the search. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

- There are a few modern motherboards with ISA slots, mostly Intel based. These are usually called "industrial motherboards". They do not work with most classic soundcards that need Bus Mastering support (IIRC)

I think that should say DMA and not Bus Mastering. Although ISA bus mastering exists the GUS, Sound Blasters and compatible cards use plain ISA DMA. A quick search says that ISA bus mastering was mainly used by hardware like disk and network controllers and was not as stable as ISA DMA.

Reply 10 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A GUS can work without DMA as well since you can upload samples also by PIO. So applications where you can choose this work even with a 'simple' ISA interface.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

- There are a few modern motherboards with ISA slots, mostly Intel based. These are usually called "industrial motherboards". They do not work with most classic soundcards that need Bus Mastering support (IIRC)

I think that should say DMA and not Bus Mastering. Although ISA bus mastering exists the GUS, Sound Blasters and compatible cards use plain ISA DMA. A quick search says that ISA bus mastering was mainly used by hardware like disk and network controllers and was not as stable as ISA DMA.

Fixed it, thanks. I'd researched all this a long while ago of course, but I've forgotten much of it. 😀

Stiletto