VOGONS

First post, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a oddity i know, but i wonder if any of you have had any issues like this with your retro hardware. I reckon that there are relatively large video cards and sound cards (Voodoo 2, Voodoo 5 5500\6000, Sound Blasters ISA 16bit etc) so i wonder if there are any reports of warped rare computer cards over time only becase they were sitting for too long in a vertical computer case. Would it be safer to built some sort of stand in the case for longer cards?
I would hate to see that my Voodoo 5 got warped because it was sitting for years in a row in a computer case. Since i rarely use it nowadays i'd rather keep it safe in it's original box.

Share your thoughts and experiences on this subject!

Last edited by rick6 on 2014-02-22, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 2 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why they should put mid or back plates on modern cards, there are ways one can prevent it them selves even if they do not have the means of the holders. One way is to make a bracket than runs the length of the card that bolts down to the i/o bracket at the end. The other is just a metal rod bolted to the bottom of the case pushing against the card (insulated). The slow droop could be the cause of some failures in modern cards that are vastly more complex than our retro gear.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 17, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 8 bit ISA MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum card (like 3/4 of full length), it's bent that way. Long but not long enough to reach the full-length ISA support slits 🙁

I suppose that 16-bit ISA cards are less prone to that.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This happened to my voodoo5. But only after I installed aftermarket heavy heatsinks. As a "solution" I routed ide cables at the end of the board so they would hold the board up.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 17, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, also i fear that in such scenario that might be a death sentence for a card that uses BGA chips.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 6 of 17, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AWE32 is much prone to bending because it is too long and too short at the same time (long enough to warp under its own weight, but too short by a few millimeters to catch the case supports meant for full-length cards). 🤣

And on the subject of long cards, heavy heatsinks and BGA chips, here is how I killed one of my V5s:
V5.jpg
(it worked for some time, but eventually gravity took its toll).

Reply 7 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

This happened to my voodoo5. But only after I installed aftermarket heavy heatsinks. As a "solution" I routed ide cables at the end of the board so they would hold the board up.

This is how I kinda solved my problem with my "GF7600 AGP passive cooled but with large casefan mounted on it" card, it was very heavy and I tried to use extra cables to kinda pull it upwards a bit (might have been a molex plug, I don't remember)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Voodoo2 (has no heatsinks) is still straight, same for my GF FX (same rough size) and dual-GPU Radeon (but this card has metal plates on it to hold it straight). In my experience the bigger problem is power cables being heavy enough to pull the card down on one end, not the length of the card itself. Using the "sled" things can fix this, as can backplates to make the card more rigid (a lot of more modern graphics cards have backplates available or included as part of their cooling). Alternately, if possible, re-work how the wiring is done so it doesn't force the board to sag down.

5u3 - how many slots was that Voodoo? 🤣

Reply 9 of 17, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

1 AGP + 2 PCI, which is not that bad if you consider that usually the PCI slot next to AGP shares the same IRQ...

Reply 11 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

1 AGP + 2 PCI, which is not that bad if you consider that usually the PCI slot next to AGP shares the same IRQ...

Oh that's not bad at all - my current graphics card is around that size. 🤣

F2bnp: Can you mount some sort of backplate/front-plate on it? Or a "spine" piece? Or does your case support adding a "finger" or "sled" to carry the back-end? Or can you tie it off with zipties or loom?

Alternately, if it could go in a desktop form factor case, it may not be much of a problem. I don't know that for certain, just a guess, since it'd be standing vertical vs horizontal, so all the weight is going "down" into the slot, case I/O shield, etc vs sagging away from the slot/case.

Reply 12 of 17, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is why large desktop cases are preferred for systems with big motherboards and long cards.
Many of these old AT cases weigh a ton even without the PSU, but at least you know your long cards (CGA, LAPC-I, AWE32 etc) are safely seated.
And you could mount 4 or 5 of these monsters on each other. CRT monitors up to 21" were just paperweight for them, too.

I can second the annoyance factor with the AWE32. I simply put a little piece of rubber between the hindermost upper corner of the AWE32 card and the bottom of the tower case.

My HD5850 card recently decided to switch to "warp speed 9" as well - I fortunately managed to "wire out" the same corner of the card...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 13 of 17, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use desktop chassis without a riser, or, vice-versa, a tower chassis with a riser, so that your cards stand on their edges.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 14 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never noticed this to occure on expansion cards. However, I've seen s478 motherboards that are so bent near CPU socket that they were almost touching the case. They had cheap and ugly CPU coolers, that could not be installed without much force.

Reply 15 of 17, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the older stuff can probably tolerate a fair amount of board flex without any issue, but I suspect the same is not true for newer hardware with the lead-free solder, which is pretty brittle.

My XG-DLS has some warping near the top edge due to the CPU brackets, was a bit paranoid at first but I suspect it's been that way since I got it and it runs fine... though I may fabricate a full-size backplate for the entire board and mount the brackets to that instead for insurance. The board would have had this kind of setup by default, but mine came as-is with just the I/O plate.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 17 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMAN wrote:
I used motherboard support stands on my CT3900 which sits at the bottom slot of the case... it makes pretty good support even th […]
Show full quote

I used motherboard support stands on my CT3900 which sits at the bottom slot of the case... it makes pretty good support even though it doesn't result in perfect trueness
DSC_1674.jpg

Great idea! I'll keep that in mind 😀