VOGONS

Reply 20 of 109, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

First post edited, rom version 010 corrects the Wing Commander crashes, so basically the card just works fine. If you know another problematic game please tell me to test it.

Well done, good to know it's not the hardware. So where do I get me an EPROM with the newer firmware in it to upgrade my card? Do I have to keep an eye out for a dead card too?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 21 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ What version is your card? if there is no sticker on the rom chip then you can use MQDIAG from the driver disk I posted to find it out...
Updating the firmware requires removal of the original chip and the use of a 27C512 or compatible one to burn and solder the new firmware (on a socket preferably). I don't think you can get the firmware anywhere, what's the deal with Music Quest nowdays? Do they exist?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 109, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can program a new chip for you if I get a copy of the ROM dump. Is the ROM chip on the card UV erasable? If so, I can reprogram the same chip - if its a mask ROM with no window you'll need a new chip. I doubt a card that age would have a EEPROM.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 23 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both 004 and 010 roms on my cards were OTP devices , so you need a 27C512 or equivalent to update

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24 of 109, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I recall correctly a local place to me has the MQX-16 for $25 or so. Always eye-ball it, but I have nothing to put it in so I just ignore it.

Reply 26 of 109, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hey. got my wing commander working. when you guys say it crashed after the intro did it freeze or just boot you to DOS? I get this error

"error while allocating memory"
INTRO.DAT #0 (ERR 2 PS-1 LB319958 FL0) at LP4

Reply 27 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ in my case it was a hard lock , you needed to power cycle

Reply 28 of 109, by n1mr0d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any schematics of this card?

I'm sitting on a idea for a while, let's call it HardMPU, inspired on the XT-IDE project and SoftMPU. It is an ISA card with a 100% compatible MPU-401 interface, Waveblaster header and optionally an YMF262 chip (OPL3). It has to be a maiden design (no copyrighted code), and compatible with fast computers. The PCB's can be made cheaply in China.

VooDoo Power Asus CUBX-E 440BX PIII 1.4GHz GF4 Ti 4600 Voodoo2 SLI 12MB SBLive!+Drive SB16 CT2230 + NEC XR385
Nostalgia pc Vtech Laser Slimline DX4-100 16MB Acumos AVGA1 AWE32 CT3980 Roland MPU 401 MT32 SC88

Reply 29 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I've been meaning to strip down the components from the dead card , I only removed the rom so far and won't continue with the rest until I find someone with a desoldering station, the card is too fragile for my taste 🤣
If I ever strip it down I will scan the pcb.

Reply 31 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

today I finally made soviet conscript's breakout cable from the cables he sent me:

FLz59yam.jpg

and here is a shot next to the original cable , needless to say the cable works perfect... Yellow tube is the OUT jack , couldn't think something better to differentiate it from the IN jack since they are the same...

zSfyzyBm.jpg

and I have fixed the schematic on the 1st page, I had some errors due to pin mirroring (solder/front side...)

Last edited by keropi on 2017-10-06, 17:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 109, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ummm...shouldn't that have come with a dongle with the midi ports? You shouldn't have had to made your own cable to use it.

Here's a pic of the 8-bit card. The dongle is black. The 16-bit card has a white dongle. Oddly, the 16-bit card only uses a few pins of the extended part of the slot so it's not much longer than the 8-bit card. It makes me wonder how important those extra pins actually are and what they are used for.

24liop5.jpg

16-bit card

3706751932_e7821732b3.jpg?v=0

Reply 33 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ it should have but dongles are not always included in 2nd hand ebay stuff... look at the 1st post, my boxed card comes with a cable breakout , not a molded dongle. It's the same actually, the dongle was newer and cheaper to manufacture I guess...

Reply 34 of 109, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
n1mr0d wrote:

Are there any schematics of this card?

I'm sitting on a idea for a while, let's call it HardMPU, inspired on the XT-IDE project and SoftMPU. It is an ISA card with a 100% compatible MPU-401 interface, Waveblaster header and optionally an YMF262 chip (OPL3). It has to be a maiden design (no copyrighted code), and compatible with fast computers. The PCB's can be made cheaply in China.

You would have to reverse engineer the ROM program the microcontroller uses. However, if you are using a microcontroller, how much more effort would it require to implement sound blaster capability?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 36 of 109, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

I also have both the 8BIT and 16BIT versions. The dongles are interchangeable.

Have you ever tested to see if the 16-bit card will work in an 8-bit slot? The front part of the two versions look like they both use the same pins.

Reply 37 of 109, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

I also have both the 8BIT and 16BIT versions. The dongles are interchangeable.

Have you ever tested to see if the 16-bit card will work in an 8-bit slot? The front part of the two versions look like they both use the same pins.

It should work, the 3 pins on the 16-bit portion of the ISA connector are just the IRQ 10, 11 and 12 lines. As long as you stick to IRQ9 or below, that card should work fine in an 8 bit slot.

Last edited by DonutKing on 2014-03-26, 07:46. Edited 1 time in total.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.