VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking for four 1mb 30-pin simms. Im going to put them into an IBM model 30-286. That means they are UNIQUE to that unit. (and maybe one other model) So someone here can point me in the direction of such an item, I would be greatful.

model numbers:

IBM P/N 30F5360
IBM FRU 74X8637

ALSO, You can modify normal 30 pin simms to the bass-ackwards IBM design. However I am not skilled enough to do it. So if I can't find real simms, if someone was willing to mod a batch or two up for me, I'd make it worth your trouble. info: http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/misc/ps2cache/

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here is a copy of the mod:
sOnZY9c.png

According to the webpage, 3-chip simms don't work properly with the mod in motherboards.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will have a look and see if I have this specific RAM laying around. Will report in this thread later. I don't have any IBM's anyway 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ racoonRider Sadly I think those simms are "industry standard" and going by the part numbers, they came out of a 486SX-25. You can double-check with a simple volt meter. Pin 22 is a ground pin. If this is a special simm, pins 24 and 26 should also connect directly to ground. zero-ohms.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a look in my little boxes of 30p memory, but I'm sorry to tell I don't have any of the RAM strips you are looking for 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been alerted on another forum that this expansion board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191019336764 Has the memory type required for my system. While I believe it to be a bit overpriced if it 256k simms, I would gain 3mb? of ram. Not exactly how I wanted to occupy one of two expansion slots, but thems the breaks. Also for the record, this board is required for memory beyond 4mb anyway. So there's that.

So if you have some weird sugar-cube memory at home. Even if its not the part numbers I listed, I'm interested.