VOGONS

Testing CPUs and Motherboards

Topic actions

First post, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

What tools exist for testing CPU opcodes extensively and motherboard functionality?

This comes out of the fact that have an Athlon XP processor and respective motherboard which are giving me some headaches. The setup freezes occasionally and I have finally found something that makes it freeze every time: Opening the Windows XP Security Center. I've tested the memory and it is working fine, I've tested on several HDs and also removed any additional hardware. The problem persists. So I'd like to test the CPU and motherboard and see which one really has an issue.

I also have other boards and CPUs lying around to test, so I'd be using these tools for them as well, just to be sure everything is working properly.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 21, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried a new windows reinstall? Does it ONLY crash on Windows XP security center? Have you tried checking your PSU with a multimeter, check if the operating voltages are all OK? When you say it freezes on Setup occasionally do you mean the BIOS? If you need help let me know, we probably live less than 1km from each other.

Reply 2 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Have you tried a new windows reinstall?

Tested on two different Windows XP installs, one on an IDE HD, the other on a SATA HD. Just to make sure it wasn't a bus/driver issue regarding mass storage.

carlostex wrote:

Does it ONLY crash on Windows XP security center?

It kernel panics in Linux too, but I can't replicate. It happens when I update Gentoo with major compiles.

carlostex wrote:

Have you tried checking your PSU with a multimeter, check if the operating voltages are all OK?

Not yet.

carlostex wrote:

When you say it freezes on Setup occasionally do you mean the BIOS?

No, not in the BIOS, just in other OSes. It happens every time I try to open the Security Center, at least that I could pinpoint. My hunch it is an opcode that is not working properly. It also happens on other occasions, which I cannot find a pattern. So I guess it is only when a certain address mode is evoked, hence it could be the combination of the opcode with the memory interface on the motherboard. I have set several BIOS options to no success, the freeze always happens. I.e., the computer just hangs, no blue screen or reset.

carlostex wrote:

If you need help let me know, we probably live less than 1km from each other.

On getting together to check this out, it is an option as I'm not very keen on testing voltage levels, though I do have a multi-meter.

For the moment, let's see if someone can recommend some tools to test the CPU and motherboard.

Reply 3 of 21, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try IntelBurnTest, SuperPi, Sandra. Also see what CPUz tells you. What is the CPU temperature while idling? Is its voltage correct in the BIOS? When running a stress test, measure the 12V rail from a 4-pin molex and see if it is dropping too low. Or there could possibly be a power stage on the motherboard failing to supply enough current when more things on the CPU activate.

Reply 4 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, Auzner. I don't currently have the computer up and ready at the moment to give you immediate feedback. I should test it during the next week.

Auzner wrote:

Try IntelBurnTest, SuperPi, Sandra. Also see what CPUz tells you.

Will do.

Auzner wrote:

What is the CPU temperature while idling?

I don't remember, but I have a very good cooling solution for the CPU and tower, and the values were well within regular operating values.

Auzner wrote:

Is its voltage correct in the BIOS?

Never changed it, but I will recheck. In fact, I reset the BIOS recently, so it wouldn't be under/overclocking.

Auzner wrote:

When running a stress test, measure the 12V rail from a 4-pin molex and see if it is dropping too low.

Sure thing.

Auzner wrote:

Or there could possibly be a power stage on the motherboard failing to supply enough current when more things on the CPU activate.

That seems unlikely as the same problem happens with 5 PCI cards + 4 HDs connected, or with no PCI cards and just one hard drive.

Reply 5 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What status are the caps in? Check the brand.

A cap replacement could be in order.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 21, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PedroPalhoto wrote:
Auzner wrote:

Or there could possibly be a power stage on the motherboard failing to supply enough current when more things on the CPU activate.

That seems unlikely as the same problem happens with 5 PCI cards + 4 HDs connected, or with no PCI cards and just one hard drive.

What I meant was the components which drop the 3.3/5/12V (whichever rail is used) to the CPU's voltage (~1.5V) and stabilize it. Failed capacitors could affect that, or it may be a failing IC, or something in that part of the circuit on the motherboard. I couldn't tell you without sitting infront of it where you would even start probing the board for this. Usually software can read this value decently, but it can't look at the stages inbetween which produce that voltage in the end.

Reply 7 of 21, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually had the same problem (with Security Center) a few years ago with my VIA-based P3-S system.
Turned out to be a video-related problem. The X800XT I was using at the time did not like running @ AGP 4X on my TUV4X board. As soon as I reduced it to AGP 2X mode, it was 100% stable.

Try opening Security Center without a video driver installed. Does it work?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you everyone for your contributions. I have only tested one method so far.

Standard Def Steve wrote:

I actually had the same problem (with Security Center) a few years ago with my VIA-based P3-S system.

Mine has a Via chipset as well.

Turned out to be a video-related problem. The X800XT I was using at the time did not like running @ AGP 4X on my TUV4X board. As soon as I reduced it to AGP 2X mode, it was 100% stable.

My motherboard runs on either 4x, 8x or Auto. I put it on 4x and it still froze.

Try opening Security Center without a video driver installed. Does it work?

It worked 😀. Now what should I do to get full resolution and without the system freezing?

I just reinstalled Windows XP before these new tests I'm doing. A little while after I opened security center successfully, Windows XP reinstalled my nVidia 5500 FX card and Security Center when reopened freezes the system again.

The other tests suggested by the other members, I will gradually perform, though it seems I caught the bugger.

Reply 9 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Auzner wrote:

What I meant was the components which drop the 3.3/5/12V (whichever rail is used) to the CPU's voltage (~1.5V) and stabilize it.

In the BIOS: CPU Temperature 43ºC/109ºF; M/B Temperature: 22ºC/71ºF; Vcore: 1.66V; +3.30V: 2.86V; +5.00V: 4.86V; +12.00V: 12.22V.

What can the 3.3V line affect?

Reply 10 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What status are the caps in? Check the brand.

A cap replacement could be in order.

The caps are not bulgy at all. The black ones seem to be from RLP. The other brown ones I need to take everything out of the tower to check the motherboard more closely. I'm not going to do that right now, maybe this weekend. The caps on the graphics card are also fine, apparently.

Reply 11 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Auzner wrote:

Try IntelBurnTest, SuperPi, Sandra. Also see what CPUz tells you.

I still have to install some dependencies for IntelBurnTest and Sandra to function. SuperPi is just to stress test, I have to get a position where I can have the case open and be able to measure the molex.

What am I looking for in CPUz?

Reply 12 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PedroPalhoto wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

What tools exist for testing CPU opcodes extensively and motherboard functionality?

This comes out of the fact that have an Athlon XP processor and respective motherboard which are giving me some headaches. The setup freezes occasionally and I have finally found something that makes it freeze every time: Opening the Windows XP Security Center. I've tested the memory and it is working fine, I've tested on several HDs and also removed any additional hardware. The problem persists. So I'd like to test the CPU and motherboard and see which one really has an issue.

I also have other boards and CPUs lying around to test, so I'd be using these tools for them as well, just to be sure everything is working properly.

Thanks.

I simply build a complete rig around it and start gaming. If there were any problems, I could use the BSoD codes to see what the problem might be.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I simply build a complete rig around it and start gaming. If there were any problems, I could use the BSoD codes to see what the problem might be.

In this case, there is no BSoD 🙁. Just a freeze.

Reply 14 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PedroPalhoto wrote:
Auzner wrote:

What I meant was the components which drop the 3.3/5/12V (whichever rail is used) to the CPU's voltage (~1.5V) and stabilize it.

In the BIOS: CPU Temperature 43ºC/109ºF; M/B Temperature: 22ºC/71ºF; Vcore: 1.66V; +3.30V: 2.86V; +5.00V: 4.86V; +12.00V: 12.22V.

Running SuperPi, the values measured with a multi-meter on the 4-pin molex are: 3.35V, 5.02V, 12.50V.

Reply 15 of 21, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try a different PSU to rule out the effects of low voltage on 3.3V rail to AGP/chipset operations.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 16 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gandhig wrote:

You can try a different PSU to rule out the effects of low voltage on 3.3V rail to AGP/chipset operations.

Thanks for the tip, I shall test that on the weekend.

On the application tests front, Sandra freezes when I load it (after installing .Net 3.5). IntelBurnTest is now chugging along.

UPDATE: IntelBurnTest finished successfully.

Reply 17 of 21, by PedroPalhoto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gandhig wrote:

I decided to do this today. With another PSU, the exact same thing happens.

EDIT: I also decided to test the Athlon XP PSU on another computer, and it runs fine even with the same graphics card.

Reply 18 of 21, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PedroPalhoto wrote:

What am I looking for in CPUz?

It can show you the processor voltage in Windows as well as the bus speed.

PedroPalhoto wrote:
PedroPalhoto wrote:
Auzner wrote:

Running SuperPi, the values measured with a multi-meter on the 4-pin molex are: 3.35V, 5.02V, 12.50V.

This confirms the bios is wrong about the 3.3V rail being 2.86V.

PedroPalhoto wrote:
gandhig wrote:

I decided to do this today. With another PSU, the exact same thing happens.

EDIT: I also decided to test the Athlon XP PSU on another computer, and it runs fine even with the same graphics card.

It seems like you've narrowed down the problem to something on the motherboard. The AGP slot has power issues.

Reply 19 of 21, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As pointed out by Auzner, if you have a PCI graphics card, you can rule out the AGP slot problem especially as there was no issue with the graphics driver uninstalled. All the burn-in tests should rule out any CPU issues and opcode issues too seems remote. May the problem is in the AGP card itself, you can try a different one if you have it.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain