User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

a friend is sending me this mobo:

2jepbm8.jpg

30js68p.jpg

I assume it's a late 486 mobo, CR2032 battery, onboard I/O and what appears to be PS2 mouse header next to the keyboard port... But other that "J435-B" and "T.W." I have no idea what mobo is this and what is capable of.
Any help will be greatly appreciated 😊 , TIA!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only see a part of the (very big) picture 😖

Have you tried th99 yet btw? Most of the boards are already findable there

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ here is a direct link to it: http://i61.tinypic.com/2jepbm8.jpg (I though the forum software would just scale it down...)
Haven't checked th99 thoroughly , it has too many 486 mobos 🤣
I remember a dark-themed site where you chose mobos from the number of ISA/VLB/PCI slots on them , it helped narrowing down things a lot ... but what site was it?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess its one of the Taiwanese brands, because theres written T.W underneath the two lowest ISA slots. It also can be a OEM board.. Because the boards the people nowdays find, are disambled from computers they found..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

All I've been able to find keropi is that it's a Jetway/Jetboard J-435-B with VIA VT496G Chipset and BIOS ID 2C4L6J11-00. Couldn't find anything else (even Jetway's own site has nothing on this 486 board). I hope this helps.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks a mil JayCeeBee64, I was able to get a .RTF manual from here: http://web.archive.org/web/20050120060756/htt … visn/index.html , wouldn't have found it without the make/model 😀

apparently it even supports 1MB of L2 cache 😲

3. Advanced Cache Controller - Write back/write through scheme - Direct map scheme - Flexible cache size: 0K/128K/256K/ […]
Show full quote

3. Advanced Cache Controller
- Write back/write through scheme
- Direct map scheme
- Flexible cache size: 0K/128K/256K/512K/1MB
- One bank or two banks of data independent of cache size
- Integrated 8-bit tag comparastor
- Interleaved SRAM access to achieve 2-1-1-1 burst fill
- Supports burst read and burst write transfers
- System and video BIOS cacheable and write-protect
- Programmable cache timing
- Programmable non-cacheable region
- Optional combined tag and alter bit SRAM for the write-back scheme
- Eight bit tag under the combined tag-alter scheme without sacrifice
of cacheable space

..and an option for ps2 mice as well... though there are no pins on this mobo:

PS/2 MOUSE CONNECT […]
Show full quote

PS/2 MOUSE CONNECT

CN3 PS/2 MOUSE
( Option )
P/S mouse function already OK

interesting... maybe ps2 mouse support can be hacked 🤣

Reply 6 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

No problem keropi 😀 . Looks like you're going to have some fun with this board 😁 .

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From the VIA VT82C496G / VT82C406MV DATASHEET,

Glueless interface with the VT82C406MV IXP (Integrated X-bus Peripheral Controller, 100PQFP) to eliminate the multi-clock generator, the keyboard controller with PS2 mouse, the DS-1285 style real time clock with extended CMOS RAM and the address buffers.

It looks like the chipset comes with PS/2 mouse support, but you will need to ensure that the appropriate pins are wired for it, i.e. with a pull-up resistor, inverters and capacitor, among other things. If you are lucky, all you need to do is solder on the header and determine the Vcc, GND, CLK, and DATA pins.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update:

received the mobo and tested it. Supports fine the write-through AMD 486/100mhz cpu and ps2 mouse is working fine 😁 , all I had to do was to solder the pin header on CN3 and it just works ...
I guess I was lucky feipoa ! 🤣

if only I could find a proper manual for it... there are silkscreened jumper settings and the jumpers are nowhere to be found 🤣 🤣 🤣 , not to mention that there are jumpers near the cache chips that I have no idea what to do...
atm it's slower than my SIS 85C471 mobo , maybe the VIA chipset is just slower, maybe it's because 20ns VS 15ns cache/settings ...

Reply 9 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is great; a non-PCI, VLB board with working PS/2 mouse port header. How much slower is the VIA chipset compared to your other VLB board(s)?

Reply 10 of 29, by gnuuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that sounds like an early dx board hewlett packard made a few of them and the never put any info out on the jumper settings
there is a number on the board you should be able to search with your browser that may take you to the website where you can get the specs for it
for example kbs-la (hp 3300 athlon mobo family

hope this helps

Reply 13 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

That is great; a non-PCI, VLB board with working PS/2 mouse port header. How much slower is the VIA chipset compared to your other VLB board(s)?

I remember the PCPBench scores, the SIS one is ~12.5 IIRC and this one scores a round 10.0 ... there is also a 0.8fps difference in Quake.

@ gnuuser
it is a Jetway 435 mobo, if you see the previous posts I managed to find a "manual" ... sadly not all jumpers are covered

@ nforce4max
no idea about 50mhz fsb, how can I test?

Reply 14 of 29, by gnuuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I missed it on the earlier post
my off duty hobby is refurbishing old pc's and donating them to handicapped and children
so i generally have a lot of parts, (memory,various cards, and cables around)
boy the stuff piles up quickly though!

Reply 15 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh , I was looking so hard to find the JRN3,4 and 5 jumpers that I completely missed they are not jumpers at all... 😵 turns out they are resistor arrays or something:

122nls2.jpg

never saw anything like that when you have to plug the array on a specific socket depending what the make of the cpu is

Reply 16 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386 Contaq motherboard here that using the same method.. Selecting options with resistor networks.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 17 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure these resistor packs are utilised to set the full spectrum of CPUs? On the MB-8433UUD board, for example, a resistor pack is only inserted for one oddball CPU, the UMC U5S. For all other CPUs, the resistor pack removed and CPU selection is determined by jumpers.

Reply 18 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes, there is a silkscreened table under the cpu socket that tells you where to move the resistor pack , it has INTEL, AMD and CYRIX settings...

Reply 19 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are all the other jumpers on the motherboard for? Are none of them to set CPU type and functionality?