VOGONS

First post, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This computer is part of my project: a "PC for 10 bucks", initially intended for net browsing and word processing. If this computer can play 3D 90's games I will do some work on it. It has an Athlon XP of some sort (stated as AMD 1150MHz so probably with wrong multiplier or something) and 256MB DDR, but the motherboard is a K7VM4 and it has the VIA KM400 northbridge and the VIA VT8235CE south.

My doubts are related to the video card. The manual states VIA UniChrome Graphics, Max. 64MB VRAM which is a S3 Savage (don't know wich of them) with some updates (don't know what ones), with the core depending on the RAM speed (max on this mobo 333MHz).

I guess my question is: "Is UniChrome good for retrogaming the second half of the nineties, everything pos-2.5D?" I'll be installing Win98.

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 31, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's Win9x UniChrome drivers?

BTW I wouldn't count on the Savage series for much retrogaming other than for some exclusive S3TC novelties, and even then, those are more exclusive to Savage4 and 2000...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 31, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to Wikipedia; "UniChrome is an updated S3 ProSavage used in VIA's integrated graphics chipsets."

ProSavage; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Savage#Mother … grated_chipsets

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 31, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I remember reading that it uses some parts of Savage 2000, but the 3D is based on Savage4 for some reason.

Thats prosavage and prosavageDDR - DX7 previous versions used in KM133, PM133 and KM266/P4M266. They had 2d core from savage2000 and 3d core from Savage 4.

He have unichrome, thats somehow updated, but its integrated = really slow - usable maybe for old games (1998) in 640x480. It wont have fps for anything better. These chipsets were good only for DVD playback.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 6 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it could play more or less untill mid 2000's at 800x600 I would be happy, and if it can play older games without issues ( like lacking table fog and such) shall I expect such problems? I dunno, I'll give it a try anyway. Gonna test some games to see how it works.

Reply 7 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

BTW I wouldn't count on the Savage series for much retrogaming other than for some exclusive S3TC novelties, and even then, those are more exclusive to Savage4 and 2000...

I have them, the windows 98 UniChrome drivers! Retrogaming investigation on the way 😀

Reply 8 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would like to see some 3DMark2000 results. My guess is it will perform something like a Savage4. Make sure you use the fastest RAM it supports. Avoid 32-bit color depth for 3D.

Reply 10 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Yes and it works well that it is stable but performance isn't that great, will work just fine in 98 and xp but gets tricky with anything newer.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LO

I have a high class ECS KM800 board, this one here:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … px?DetailID=574

I was given it, supposedly dead but working okay, the Compaq had a dead PSU.

The on-board video works in WIN98SE using the BIOSTAR sourced reference driver found here:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=91

In total this PC didn't cost that much either, I salvaged a working PSU from the street stealthily
with a screwdriver. I left whatever junk it was with behind. I have added a crappy VOODOO2
to complete the setup.

I have some benchmarks but wait to see the any others before showing them.

Bye.

Reply 12 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so first thing tomorrow morning I'm gonna benchmark instead of testing some games. Anything else beside 3DMark2000?

Great battle tomorrow night: UniChrome DDR 333 Versus UniChrome Pro DDR2 533. I'm a sucker for the underdogs, and these they both are. I'm very curious about this, very interesting seeing S3 legacy.

PS- I'm going to be squashed I'm I not? Oh well, its for a good cause.

Reply 13 of 31, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nranco wrote:

Ok, so first thing tomorrow morning I'm gonna benchmark instead of testing some games. Anything else beside 3DMark2000?

Great battle tomorrow night: UniChrome DDR 333 Versus UniChrome Pro DDR2 533. I'm a sucker for the underdogs, and these they both are. I'm very curious about this, very interesting seeing S3 legacy.

Well i guess that any cheap geforce 2mx will beat them both easilly, not talking about mx440 - that must be miles away 😀

Only good advice is to get somewhere GF2mx (got plenty of them for free - noone wants these days 32mb agp card anymore - every customer is like i need 512mb agp card) and retrogaming will be easy. With mx440 128bit should be fine even at 1024x768.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 14 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

Nranco wrote:

I have 3dmark99max, 3dmark2000v11, 3dmark2001se and 3dmark03_v350 here for testing.

3dmark03_v350 is the last version that runs on WIN98. I have attached the system information
provided by 3dmark03_v350 to this post.

Just so you know how hard a task you have presented yourself, then here are the specs of
my mean machine.

MB: ELITEGROUP ECS (need I say more?) P4M800PRO-M (V1.0A)
CPU: CELERON 331
RAM: 2 X CORSAIR VALUE 512MB PC2-5300
VIDEO: UNICHROME PROFESSIONAL IGP
VIDEO2: CREATIVE VOODOO2
AUDIO: DIAMOND MM MX300 AUREAL VORTEX

The machine is ready and waiting.

Good luck, bye-bye.

Attachments

• Filename
    SI.pdf
    File size
    95.84 KiB
    Downloads
    252 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sklawz wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Nranco wrote:

I have 3dmark99max, 3dmark2000v11, 3dmark2001se and 3dmark03_v350 here for testing.

3dmark03_v350 is the last version that runs on WIN98. I have attached the system information
provided by 3dmark03_v350 to this post.

Just so you know how hard a task you have presented yourself, then here are the specs of
my mean machine.

MB: ELITEGROUP ECS (need I say more?) P4M800PRO-M (V1.0A)
CPU: CELERON 331
RAM: 2 X CORSAIR VALUE 512MB PC2-5300
VIDEO: UNICHROME PROFESSIONAL IGP
VIDEO2: CREATIVE VOODOO2
AUDIO: DIAMOND MM MX300 AUREAL VORTEX

The machine is ready and waiting.

Good luck, bye-bye.

you're on.

Reply 17 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry everyone, don't have much to show except for the only benchmark that did run, the score in 3DMark99Max is 3852, that is it.
It runs the first Race in the 3Dmark2000 with about 30fps and then crashes or freezes at the 2nd race. Does run the first two heli flights from 3dMark2001SE with artifacts in stead of beams of sunlight and then crashes.
The cpu is a 1997MHz FSB333 Barton, the 2600+, but does not run stable above FSB100, hence the 1150MHz.
In the weekend I'm gonna remove the 10yo thermal grease, which is completly dry btw, and wash cpu the cooler, apply some new thermal and give it another go. Also remove all the dust inside (plenty) and the PC133 128MB SDRAM lose on the inside (?), maybe with another psu.

Reply 18 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

Nranco wrote:

Sorry everyone, don't have much to show except for the only benchmark that did run, the score in 3DMark99Max is 3852, that is it.

I done this test, the score in 3DMark99Max was 5152 3DMarks and 33055 CPU 3DMarks at 800x600x16 (default).

Nranco wrote:

It runs the first Race in the 3Dmark2000 with about 30fps and then crashes or freezes at the 2nd race. Does run the first two heli flights from 3dMark2001SE with artifacts in stead of beams of sunlight and then crashes.

This passed all okay for me so we can rule out incompatibility. The score in 3DMark2000 was 3351 3D marks at 1024x768x16 (default).

The tunnel test with 64MB textures didn't run due to lack of texture memory and I think one
other test after this was skipped but I can't remember to be honest.

Nranco wrote:

The cpu is a 1997MHz FSB333 Barton, the 2600+, but does not run stable above FSB100, hence the 1150MHz.
In the weekend I'm gonna remove the 10yo thermal grease, which is completly dry btw, and wash cpu the cooler, apply some new thermal and give it another go. Also remove all the dust inside (plenty) and the PC133 128MB SDRAM lose on the inside (?), maybe with another psu.

Your problems may very well be the CPU but there could also be a fault with the IGP overheating?

Some tests include swapping PSU, RAM and CPU to see if the problem is solved but you may also want
to look at the capacitors around the CPU socket and see if they are leaking or have exploded.

For a better CPU you may consider upgrading to the ATHLON 3200XP if you can find one
and is supported on your board.

I done some other tests, and here are the reults:

3DMark2001 1596 3D marks at 1024x768x32 (default).

3DMark03 85 3D marks (most tests skipped) at 1024x768 (default).

I installed some games, some work, some don't. For example "XIII" runs really well and looks great but HOMEWORLD2 exits to desktop without any message when run.

Bye.

Reply 19 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I guess the lean machine didn't quite get off the start line.
I have colin mcrae demo and carmaggedon carpocalypse demo also exiting to desktop with no message after some minutes, that could mean overheating. . I have a passive vga hetsink I could apply to the southbridge if that could help, or even a fan on the northbridge, wherever that unichrome chip is. First thing when I get a pc is to check capacitators, they are fine.
Regarding the cpu upgrade, I don't think it would matter, I mean 2.0GHz is plenty for win98 games.
Overall unichrome does not seem suitable for gaming, wouldn't you say?