VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

Nranco wrote:
Yeah, I guess the lean machine didn't quite get off the start line. I have colin mcrae demo and carmaggedon carpocalypse demo al […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I guess the lean machine didn't quite get off the start line.
I have colin mcrae demo and carmaggedon carpocalypse demo also exiting to desktop with no message after some minutes, that could mean overheating. . I have a passive vga hetsink I could apply to the southbridge if that could help, or even a fan on the northbridge, wherever that unichrome chip is. First thing when I get a pc is to check capacitators, they are fine.
Regarding the cpu upgrade, I don't think it would matter, I mean 2.0GHz is plenty for win98 games.
Overall unichrome does not seem suitable for gaming, wouldn't you say?

I have not done much game testing but I did install Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
and that ran fine. Ths IGP is supposed to support anything up until DirectX 7, so,
if that includes all your favourite late 90s games then it should be adequate.

One observation I have is that the UniChrome works better in XP by a fair margin
so if your games work in XP it would be preferable to use that. I will see
about looking at those demos you mention for a test later in XP and 98 if
they have a benchmark feature.

Personally I just use my desktop for playing games in Linux with WINE or
XP in virtualbox (it can work okay with quite a few old games).

Currently I am making progress in C+C renegade and I have only used the
UniChrome machine really for remote SSH access to CYGWIN to control
the serial port.

Bye-bye

Reply 22 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sklawz wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

Nranco wrote:
Yeah, I guess the lean machine didn't quite get off the start line. I have colin mcrae demo and carmaggedon carpocalypse demo al […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I guess the lean machine didn't quite get off the start line.
I have colin mcrae demo and carmaggedon carpocalypse demo also exiting to desktop with no message after some minutes, that could mean overheating. . I have a passive vga hetsink I could apply to the southbridge if that could help, or even a fan on the northbridge, wherever that unichrome chip is. First thing when I get a pc is to check capacitators, they are fine.
Regarding the cpu upgrade, I don't think it would matter, I mean 2.0GHz is plenty for win98 games.
Overall unichrome does not seem suitable for gaming, wouldn't you say?

I have not done much game testing but I did install Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
and that ran fine. Ths IGP is supposed to support anything up until DirectX 7, so,
if that includes all your favourite late 90s games then it should be adequate.

One observation I have is that the UniChrome works better in XP by a fair margin
so if your games work in XP it would be preferable to use that. I will see
about looking at those demos you mention for a test later in XP and 98 if
they have a benchmark feature.

Personally I just use my desktop for playing games in Linux with WINE or
XP in virtualbox (it can work okay with quite a few old games).

Currently I am making progress in C+C renegade and I have only used the
UniChrome machine really for remote SSH access to CYGWIN to control
the serial port.

Bye-bye

Directx 7 should suffice.

In Carmaggedon I noticed there was no antialiasing on the buildings whatsoever ( use to play it on a G200 back in the day), I want antialiasing! Maybe is just the demo. I'll try Descent 3 full original version once the pc is up and running.

Using XP is a way to go too, I guess I can find some sort of patch for games not supposed to work in XP, I know there is one for colin mcrae 1.

If everything else fails, back to websurf and word processing to this pc. bye

Last edited by Nranco on 2014-03-14, 12:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

still cannot run the cpu above 1150Mhz...

3DMark 2000 score: 2515
3DMark2001SE score: 1372

all I did was changed psu and new thermal paste on the cpu and the bechmarks wrked fine 😀

I think this system is better off with its prior tasks, bye bye retrogaming.

Reply 25 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

I get the impression that that speed is limited by the memory FSB.

What are the memory timings in the BIOS, and what is the actual
memory model?

I don't think you should give up just yet.

Bye

Reply 26 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello again,
the memory is DDR PC2700 and is running swell with 166MHz set on BIOS.
the maximum I got for the cpu is 112MHz and then it boots as athlon XP 1700+, but is unstable once it gets to OS.
AXDA2600KV4D is identified in wiki as a 333MHz model, I can't change the multiplier with this mobo so there is no way this is the 266MHz model of the 2600+ , something is wrong with this cpu or with the motherboard, oh well thanks for your words. another projects will come 😉
I just finished reinstalling windows XP and put back in the same crappy psu. the pc is fine for browsing vogons, watch some youtube, etc.
Bye.

Reply 27 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked up the manual for the Asrock K7VM4. The board has jumpers for FSB. You should try setting those for 166 MHz. The BIOS setting may be overclocking the RAM or something else that's incorrect.

Reply 28 of 31, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI

swaaye wrote:

I looked up the manual for the Asrock K7VM4. The board has jumpers for FSB. You should try setting those for 166 MHz. The BIOS setting may be overclocking the RAM or something else that's incorrect.

It's interesting that you found that because it reminded me of another relic
I have here called a GA-7VT600 which has a similar jumper except in it's case
the switch either forces 100MHz or allows FSB auto-detect.

This appears to a legacy of the 1st generation socket-a Athlons's and also
something easily forgotten since this is all obsolete now.

Bye-bye

Reply 29 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Swaaye we are friends for life, you just doubled my cpu power with that info! With just a jumper setting and the board now automatically recognizes an Athlon XP 2600+ with 333MHz FSB. It doesn't matter if you set it right in the BIOS because (and this is from the manual )" Note: The setting of the CPU front side bus frequency of this motherboard is by means of the adjustment of jumper-setting. Please follow the figures above to set the CPU front side bus frequency."
Thank you so much 😁

sklawz, we will have a rematch AH AHA AH (evil laugh)

Reply 30 of 31, by Nranco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok this UniChrome doesn't cut it for the late nineties, I may be doing something wrong but it runs worst, much worst than a G200, so forget it folks.

The 3Dmark scores remain the same regardless of FSB100 1150MHz versus FSB333 1997MHz, and it only gets more 10points if Windows XP is used.

Until next time 😀 thanks

Reply 31 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nranco wrote:

Ok this UniChrome doesn't cut it for the late nineties, I may be doing something wrong but it runs worst, much worst than a G200, so forget it folks.

The 3Dmark scores remain the same regardless of FSB100 1150MHz versus FSB333 1997MHz, and it only gets more 10points if Windows XP is used.

Until next time 😀 thanks

From the benchmarks I have seen the Chrome series cards really aren't meant for gaming. It's interesting to benchmark them to see what they can do, but for actual use I'd find something better.

Here's a vid where the Chrome 540GTX is tested against some popular cards from the same time frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnrBu3N2QE

and a Chrome 440GTX vs GeForce 8500GT in Devil May Cry 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PP_iR5asPo

And keep in mind that even though it is faster than the 8500GT, it's not faster by a whole lot and 8500GT isn't a high end card anyway. There are better cards that blow it away.