Building a high end 486 but need advice

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 89, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

By the way, it would be great if you could participate in Phil's benchmark with this board.

Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

I would like to, however most of my gear is packed away in our unorganised house. I just moved early this year and the house has been undergoing renovations. I'm currently being raped by contractors, my wife just had our second child, and any waking moment I do have is being filled with infant wailing and the sweet aroma of baby shit. I have also been busy doing some research for a start-up terahertz technology company and am considering jumping on board. Suffice to say that pulling out my old computer gear is pretty low on my list of priorities. If/when I ever get my place setup with some benchtop space, I'll be sure to add some results to Phil's benchmark archive.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 82 of 89, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

By the way, it would be great if you could participate in Phil's benchmark with this board.

Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

I would like to, however most of my gear is packed away in our unorganised house. I just moved early this year and the house has been undergoing renovations. I'm currently being raped by contractors, my wife just had our second child, and any waking moment I do have is being filled with infant wailing and the sweet aroma of baby shit. I have also been busy doing some research for a start-up terahertz technology company and am considering jumping on board. Suffice to say that pulling out my old computer gear is pretty low on my list of priorities. If/when I ever get my place setup with some benchtop space, I'll be sure to add some results to Phil's benchmark archive.

You've got a lot of things going on, I wish you luck and mental power and patience to deal with them. No offence, I actually suggested this to smeezekitty, as

1) you are an old, very competent and active user on Vogons and I was sure you knew of this benchmark since it started
2) smeezekitty is TS and all the suggestions in this thread should corellate the objective - giving him advice on building a high end 486.

Reply 83 of 89, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some results:
pcbench: 60.8 FPS
pc player bench: 17.3 FPS
doom 2134 gameticks in 2097 realtics (how many FPS is that?)
quake 10.4 FPS

Reply 84 of 89, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some weirdness. I tried loosening the cache timings and 98 will not boot. Right after the memory test finishes, it displays a screen full of garbage
I put them back to fastest and it works again

Reply 85 of 89, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Some weirdness. I tried loosening the cache timings and 98 will not boot. Right after the memory test finishes, it displays a screen full of garbage
I put them back to fastest and it works again

Well... things happen 🙁 Looks like you hit the hardware limit there. I don't use Windows on mine, yet it does not work with fastest cache timings at higher clocks. One setting in particular works only on 25MHz bus, I don't remember which one exactly.

Reply 88 of 89, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a way to make Windows 2000 lite? NT4 is blazing fast on a 486, so if we can tone down W2K, then it might be more usable.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 89 of 89, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Is there a way to make Windows 2000 lite? NT4 is blazing fast on a 486, so if we can tone down W2K, then it might be more usable.

Someone suggested nlite, but I never tried it.
My only gripes with 2000 is RAM usage (but swapping isn't too bad on a CF) and boot time