VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all, I recently got my hands on a Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card but I'm having issues getting it to work with DOS games. I know it is supposed to be sound blaster compatible and in fact it detects as a Sound blaster Pro 2.0 and works fine in Warcraft 2. I just can't get games like The Dig or Earth 2140 to initialize it correctly.

System is Win98 SE

Packard Bell Platinum 55
133 mhz CPU
16MB RAM
2MB video ram

Any help is greatly appreciated. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For DOS games you really want an ISA card. Especially older games are quite picky.

Not sure about that Earth game, I believe it's newer.

Are you running real DOS or from Windows 95/98?

I can vouch for Vortex 2 cards. The DOS drivers work very well.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's what people keep saying but these PCI cards should work shouldn't they?
Earth 2140 is a DOS / win95 game.

I'm running it from windows 98SE. I have booted into dos and checked but I can't get it to work in that either.

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah that's what people keep saying

🤣 time to listen to the advice?

When you "boot into DOS" you need to install the DOS drivers.

Setting up mixed Windows / DOS machines isn't easy. But Windows could interfere with getting these DOS games to run.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DAmnit. 🤣
I used to have this exact computer all set up nice when I was a kid. It used a PCI 128 sound card then. unfortunately that computer was tossed years ago and I bought the exact same model just last month, a pc store had it ready to be scrapped in their basement.
Also the yamaha XG has such a nice sound! 🙁

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Dell Intel BX board has more or less the same card on board. True OPL and Midi is very nice 😀
The card isn't that great in pure dos as you loose midi but from within windows it should be ok?
I'm trying to remember I think I needed to install legacy drivers separately to the standard windows drivers. Almost pretty sure it added a "legacy sound card" or similar in device manager to set the resources.
I'm not home with my computers this week so cant check 🙁

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yamaha YMF-724 (DS XG) works nicely in pure DOS when you can connect the SB-Link cable to a mainboard that supports it. Most i440BX boards have the SB-Link PC/PCI header, but earlier and later boards usually come without one. Without SB-Link it can still work, but it is very temperamental.

YMF-724 still has a MPU midi interface in DOS, but one needs to connect a (external) synth to the joystick port to use it.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really is a shame I can't get it to work right, the midi is amazing when I play it from windows. At the moment it's resting on a shelf of computer parts. 🙁