VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this mb http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … agment-Download it comes with a 3200 proc not sure what model and a cooler.

I'll prolly want to upgrade the proc to a faster athlon 64 or a 64 x2,is there a way to visually differenciate socket 754,socket 939 and socket am2 procs? couse they all look the same to me.

Reply 25 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will do as soon as i change the power supply,opened it up for cleaning and 2 of the caps are bulged and have some dried up residue on top,i,m amazed it still works tbh.

Reply 27 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Also - what an odd place for SATA connectors.

Well it's a ECS board after all.

I have 1 problem,the motherboard reports the temperature of the cpu to be around 53 degrees celsius,which is a bit high,i touched the cooler and it's only slightly warm,i'm using the stock cooler with arctic silver 5 thermal compound.
After installing hwmonitor and coretemp they both show me that the core temperature is actually much lower and what the motherboard reports to be at 53 degrees is actually the tcase max temp.
So which 1 is the important 1?should i worry about the higher tcase temp or is it normal?

0eogcuO.jpg

Reply 29 of 39, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CPU temperature diodes aren't models of accuracy especially at lower temps; what the board might be reporting though is basically "remaining headroom" which is more useful than coretemp (basically its max temp-current temp to give you a value). Intel CPUs starting around this era implemented that feature; I don't know if the Athlon64 also has it.

Reply 31 of 39, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Having a case temperature around 53C sounds very very weird. Isn't it usually the other way around?

Note that it isn't reporting "case temperature" (board ambient) - it's reporting "TCase."

Reply 32 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed another gig of ram,after the upgrades i made so far 480p flash is fluent,720p is ok-ish,what would be a better option to upgrade the proc to a athlon 64 x2 or the videocard to a radeon hd 4650 or 4670 agp,since both allow gpu flash acceleration?

Reply 33 of 39, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go for the dual-core. You will notice the performance benefit in much more than simply flash.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 34 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I encountered a weird thing on this build,i replaced the 7600 gs agp 512 mb ram videocard,with a 9600 pro agp 128mb ram videocard.
With the radeon card the memory test in the post screen it's a couple of seconds faster then with the gs and i wonder why?

Reply 35 of 39, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The jetway ss7 surprised me, it is a very good board.

I have a core2duo asrock board with agp. Runs great and way faster than my 939 dualcore setup.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 36 of 39, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*edit*
Nevermind I didn't see you say it came with a single core. Going to keep my original post in place though
*edit*

So you upgraded socket A by buying a socket 939 and a single core?? You make this baby Core 2 Duo sad. He's looking for a good home. 😒 Why didn't you go with 775 and a Core2, or if you insist on 939 atleast a dual core? They have to be dirt cheap. What about this guy?

By the way, there are 775 Frankenstein motherboards, I have this guy, a 775Dual-VSTA:

2wmo21s.jpg

It has:
PCIe (at 4x)
AGP
DDR1 (max 2gigs)
DDR2 (max 2 gigs, but I have a modded bios for max 3gigs)
SATA (SATA1)
IDE

It's an interesting board.

Reply 37 of 39, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these ASROCK 775i65G rev 2.0 http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G%20R2.0/?cat=CPU

Great little board, runs anything from a prescott P4, cedar mill, smithfield, presler, conroe etc. intel 865 was a good solid chipset.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 38 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fyy wrote:

So you upgraded socket A by buying a socket 939 and a single core?? You make this baby Core 2 Duo sad. He's looking for a good home. 😒 Why didn't you go with 775 and a Core2, or if you insist on 939 atleast a dual core? They have to be dirt cheap. What about this guy?

It was cheaper to go 939,finding a 775 board with agp and core 2 duo support was too expensive.Plus i skipped the Athlon 64 generation so i kina wanted to have 1.
Also 939 X2 processor are pretty expensive,the one in the link is socket am2 those are dirt cheap.

Reply 39 of 39, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Space Cowboy wrote:

ECS K7S5A and L7S7A2 - both socket A boards - both legendary amongst overclockers.

This site is so awesome. Whenever I pick up something new (I mean something old) I search these forums first. So after I picked up an old Athlon system for free a few weeks back, I didn't think much of the ECS mobo lurking inside. My opinion had now somewhat changed 😀

I think my favourite feature of it is that it will take SDRAM or DDR, something my old socket 478 can't do. Thanks for the tip!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.