VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

I'm having issues getting Voodoo cards going on Pentium 4 systems.

I tried 2 boards so far. One from Asrock: http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/p4i65g/ and one from Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=1647#ov

The issue is exactly the same.

I did the following:

- Install W98SE
- Install chipset drivers
- Install Matrox drivers
- Install Monster 3D drivers
- Install DirectX 6.1

After the Monster drivers are loaded and I right click onto the desktop > properties to access the Voodoo driver, nothing happens. When I shut down the computer I get a message "DDE Window Server not responding:. It's as if the voodoo driver or something is stuck in a loop.

Games crash with the "Mutual exclusion prohibits this"

Dxdiag hangs when testing the display capabilities (Matrox tests fine).

I'm missing something obvious. Some patch or other incompatibility that needs ironing out.

There are no issues in device manager. All devices working well.

If, after a fresh boot, I run straight away Unreal, the game works. But each time I try to access display properties the same issues appear again.

Hopefully someone out there has experience with this and can help me out 😀

jhSnJgE.png

JEMDaZa.png

E6Magbl.png

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 26, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had this same thing on an ASUS P3B-F (rev 1.03) machine using Win98se- latest 440BX drivers, DX-7. Using the Matrox G400 video card and a pair of Diamond v2s in SLI. This is a P3 @ 600 - 524k cache

Right clicking to bring up the display properties box resulted in nothing. In fact the system seemed busy and Control Panel wouldn't open either- it seemed. But if given enough time the control panel would appear. Had the same "DDE Window Server not responding: dialogue.

My research suggested that the Matrox utilities (PD?) had some sort of a memory conflict with the Voodoo 2- I never tried any other Voodoo drivers other than the last available from Diamond and downloaded from Vogons.

Anyway, my impatience- after a couple of days being frustrated- resulted in my replacing the G400 with a Nvidia ti4200. Kind of cheating with the ti4200 but it supports glide quite well and the Voodoo 2 SLI setup is out of the machine altogether. I plan to add them to my Windows 95 box at some point.

An interesting aside is that I have a G200 in my Windows 95 machine with a Voodoo 1 card (Diamond) and they get along just fine. If it is the PD utility program conflicting with the V2 cards, I will know it quickly enough when the V2s go in- since I think the PD utilities may be the same regardless of G200 or G400.

Hope it helps-

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 2 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds EXACTLY like my issue JoeCorrado 😀

Will re-install Windows with a Geforce GeForce4 MX 440 and see if I can get these Voodoo cards going.

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used the fast voodoo drivers on my P4 with a 845 motherboard with the Intel on board graphics without any problem
Maybe the drivers will work for you as well?
Not sure about Voodoo 1 though

Reply 4 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so I tried with the MX 440 and I get the same issue. Really curious to find out what the issue might be.

How much RAM did you use? Mine has 512 MB. Might try a smaller stick.

Will try the FastVoodoo2 V4.0 Gold Edition drivers next...

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chinny22, guess what, these drivers worked fine 😀

they must address some fundamental system issue / resource conflict...

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 26, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I'll give the Fast drivers a shot when I re install the V2's as well.

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 8 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JoeCorrado wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I'll give the Fast drivers a shot when I re install the V2's as well.

Yea!

They miss the "disable VSync" tick boxes, but VSync seems disabled in the driver. All the scores are well over 60 fps.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 26, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JoeCorrado wrote:

Kind of cheating with the ti4200 but it supports glide quite well and the Voodoo 2 SLI setup is out of the machine altogether.

What ???

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 11 of 26, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:

Kind of cheating with the ti4200 but it supports glide quite well and the Voodoo 2 SLI setup is out of the machine altogether.

What ???

kind of cheating in that I did not resolve the problem- I cheated by side stepping ... adding the ti-4200 and removing the V2 SLI setup entirely. After 2 days of wrestling with the issue.

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 12 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea some of these issues take up so much of your time you just give up...

I'm glad that VOGONS exist and helped solve the problem 😀

From now on I will always use these fast drivers. I also have another tool installed, I believe it's called Voodoo 2 Tweaker. It allows changing the V-Sync settings, which the drivers don't.

I'm very happy now and waiting for a replacement Monster 3D II card to arrive (one of mine is faulty) and will do more benchmarking. This time with SLI on and off and also all resolutions.

I will remove Turok because it has no support for SLI though and might add UT99 as a more demanding game.

On a fast CPU I found SLI scales very well.

I also really like working with the P4 platform instead of late Socket 370 stuff. They P4 systems are more stable, easier to work with and you can scale past 1.4 GHz.

Even going from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz you can squeeze out more fps with a Voodoo 2 SLI setup.

P4 systems are also much cheaper and easier to find, support SATA and have CPUs as slow as 1.4 GHz available. I will do a lot more testing with P4 gear and more videos. Basically "promoting" it more. I see a lot of money getting pored into Tualatin builds, while the P4 is overlooked...

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JoeCorrado wrote:
Davros wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:

What ???

kind of cheating in that I did not resolve the problem- I cheated by side stepping ... adding the ti-4200 and removing the V2 SLI setup entirely. After 2 days of wrestling with the issue.

The way you wrote it, it sounds like you said that the Ti4200 supports Glide without the Voodoo cards being in the system.

Which shouldn't be possible, since Glide is 3dfx's proprietary API.

So you could have meant or be using OpenGL or Direct3D.

Or you could intentionally/unintentionally be using a Glide wrapper.

I have a vague memory of a Voodoo 3-era GeForce card supporting Glide, and investigation showed that its drivers were bundled with a wrapper. Creative Unified, I think.

Can you explain...?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah he just gave up on glide and used the Geforce 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 26, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I also have another tool installed, I believe it's called Voodoo 2 Tweaker. It allows changing the V-Sync settings, which the drivers don't.

This tool just edits FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL value. All Voodoos are configured through environment variables.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 18 of 26, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use Win2k and the latest official-driver and the FastV2-driver do not work.
It must have been something with the Chipset or the Board, but I don't know for sure.
The Voodoo-Control-Panel is visable and functional (but I see only glide, no opengl/d3d)
"dxdiag" does not find the voodoo, it shows only the NV6200-agp.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 19 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OpenGL on a Voodoo2 is really an ICD to passthrough to Glide3x (which will work). There is no Direct3D support in V2 2k drivers and thus it will not show up as a DirectX display device. This is completely normal (more due to win2k's architectural changes to the driver model and how it treated secondary display devices)

If you want a Direct3D Voodoo on Win2k you'll have to go one model up at the least (Voodoo Banshee)

apsosig.png
long live PCem