VOGONS

MT32 versions

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What versions of MT32 are there? (I saw some special modded ones) And how can i tell them apart?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 6 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

mauwurf has a video with some games that only sound correctly with a rev1 MT-32 , some sierra games IIRC so if you are into them then it's a no-brainer really

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 30, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, since its the ONLY MT32 i found where i live, and for a nice price of 25 euro as well, i guess i can't complain much 😀
The seller will give me power adapter as well.

Reply 8 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are quite a few differences, but for games you really want the MT-32 (Old).

A lot of Sierra and Dynamix games created custom sounds that sound wrong on the MT-32 (New).

The MT-32 (New) has less noise and therefore will sound a bit different. It also works with games that send MIDI data too fast, but it doesn't have 33 extra sound effects of the CM series and LAPC-I.

IMO the MT-32 (Old) you are looking at is the better buy. Later you can add a CM-32L and then you are set.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 30, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It arrived today. I change my mind and ordered from another person (wow two MT32 for sale!) and the serial number is 824951 the very first version type 😀
It says 105 on ROM chips sticker.

Reply 11 of 30, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i had one mt32(old) but i rarely use it. its not really GM compatible so it doesn't play midi files right, all that can work with it are dos games, and i have only one motherboard(bx) with isa slot that allows dos games to run with sound.

Reply 13 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Most activity here appears to be around Pentium II and even later. For me nostalgia is the 80286 to 80486 (& limited Pentium 1). Different people: different interests. 😀

The new stuff is just all the 486 guys runnning out of stuff to buy for their 486s. When they are tired of their new toys the discussions will go back to 486 and Pentium 1.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:
MK1: original MT-32. Most common: very many made. Extremely common in the US and pretty cheap. No large / mini headphone jack. R […]
Show full quote

MK1: original MT-32. Most common: very many made. Extremely common in the US and pretty cheap. No large / mini headphone jack. Roland issue.
MK2: revised MT-32. Rare. Mini headphone jack. Roland issue.
Modifed: very rare. No idea: never had one. Not Roland issue.

More info: http://www.economypoint.org/r/roland-mt-32.html

From the MT-32 wiki entry.

"Sound quality problems

Given the MT-32 was intended to be a relatively low-cost prosumer product, many corners were cut in the design of its DAC output. For example the circuitry needed to properly calibrate the DACs was omitted, resulting in distortion of the analog signal.

Despite having the capabilities of a professional synth module, the noisy output of the MT-32 caused it to be generally considered unsuitable for professional studio use, however an aftermarket modification was available from Real World Interfaces to improve the MT-32's sound quality and generally increase its suitability for professional use."

So modded MT-32's would most likely have this mod for cleaning up the signal. I've seen them with and without this mod for sale with no appreciable difference in price despite the modded ones being harder to find.

Reply 18 of 30, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The early MT-32 units lack the VCA found in the later units, so the analog output stage is "stuck" at a fixed amplification level. Ignoring the other noise-related issues, you really don't need to be an audiophile to hear the resulting, ever-present hiss.

This applies to the Ad Lib MSC as well, if anyone cares.