MT32 versions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote:

Did either version of the MT32 have a MIDI SYNC connection?

Do you mean DIN sync? No MT-32 features such a port.

DIN sync's successor - MIDI beat clock - is a feature of the MIDI specification itself, and is transmitted/received across standard MIDI ports. This is a moot point though, as the MT-32 has no "clockable" functions or functionality, and completely ignores the associated real-time messages. What is prompting the question?

Reply 21 of 30, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to figure out why some games do not work in so called "UART" mode by first investigating what exactly "MPU-401 intelligent mode" is.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 22 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not entirely familiar with the associated quirks involved, but I know It's not on the serial output side of the interface as there's no ability for status feedback from the module. I did find some notes which explains some of this.

MPU-401 intelligent (interrupt-driven) mode is not supported on any type of ISA Sound Blaster. If MPU-401 intelligent mode or a MPU-401 IRQ is required, the software will generally not function.

http://home.icequake.net/~nemesis/blog/index. … hp/archives/369

If you want to know more, do some reading in the SoftMPU thread and potentially begin poking BJT for his insights.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 30, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't give a frak if MPU-401 intelligent mode is supported by a Soundblaster or not. I want to know about Roland hardware.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 24 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I told you about Roland hardware. Everything from Roland except the RAP10 runs in normal (intelligent) mode, including all MPU-401 cards, the LAPC-I, and SCC-1 series.

Reply 26 of 30, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the Roland device does not have a "sync" connection and does not respond to the beat clock, how can you possibly consider it "intelligent"? Did the keyboards, Yamaha DX-7, Yamaha DX-21, Roland D-50, Roland SK-50 respond to or initiate a MIDI clock?

Last edited by dnewhous on 2016-10-24, 10:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 27 of 30, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Roland's terminology, not ours. I believe the documentation will answer a lot of your questions.

Reply 30 of 30, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, even after looking at the manual it appears that without sync, you have a UART.
Also, shouldn't the clock be on the MIDI in? In case you are playing a drum machine and a keyboard at the same time and you need to synchronize their timing even if the musicians are a little bit off.
It also appears to be saying that intelligent mode triggers ISRs over the MIDI cable? Sounds like race condition city to me.

Daniel L Newhouse