VOGONS

Adding ram to trident vlb?

Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know where to get RAM for a trident 2mb vlb card? It currently has 1mb and what look like sockets for two 512k chips.

Reply 3 of 21, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are like PLCC sockets, only rectangular instead of square. I guess I will just have to live with 1MB. What are the bit depths supported by a 1MB card? Here is what I'm hoping for:

640x480: 24 bit
800x600: 16 bit
1024x768: 256 color

I think to have 24 bit at the higher resolutions you need 2MB of ram or more.

Reply 6 of 21, by armankordi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like one of these?
oiu3yq.jpg

IBM PS/2 8573-121 386-20 DOS6.2/W3.1
IBM PS/2 8570-E61 386-16 W95
IBM PS/2 8580-071 386-16 (486DX-33 reply) OS/2 warp
486DX/2 - 66/32mb ram/256k cache/504mb hdd/cdrom/awe32/DOS6.2/WFW3.11
K6/2 - 350/128mb ram/512k cache/4.3gb hdd/cdr/sblive/w98

Reply 8 of 21, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had trouble finding chips. What's the number on the existing chips? Just look it up on the net and usually Mouser, Digikey or sometimes a bit more obscure supply house will have them OR a substitute chip made by a different manufacturer.

Reply 10 of 21, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snorg wrote:

I don't think the chips soldered to the board are the same as the ones that go in the socket, though. I tried a search already but either they don't exist or my Google-fu isn't that good.

They're not the same. It's like the difference between a PLCC 286 and a DIP 286.

Reply 11 of 21, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you just post the number then any number of us can likely help you out. The chips can't vary too much with the exception of the package design or they wouldn't work in tandem.

Reply 13 of 21, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.utsource.net/ic-datasheet/KM44C256CJ7-122060.html

From UTsource.

SOJ as i mentioned earlier (just old style socket)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 16 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tried this and might have killed a Tseng 4000wp2 :L Trident is one of the slower choices out there but compatibility. Once you do upgrade the memory the gains will come mainly from the extra bandwidth but not much else.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 21, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I suppose I could order 4 chips and practice on a spare board I have and if the one upgrade goes well, then upgrade the other.

On another note, these are definitely SOJ package chips? I think I saw another package type called TSOP and it looked similar.

Reply 18 of 21, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Well I suppose I could order 4 chips and practice on a spare board I have and if the one upgrade goes well, then upgrade the other.

On another note, these are definitely SOJ package chips? I think I saw another package type called TSOP and it looked similar.

Don't just get tied up on what the package type but what type of memory it is like edo and fpm. A lot of those chips are usually edo and normally around 512kb each, you could scavenge the chips cheap if could score a few cards dirt cheap. The NS rating also counts and is best to only match the speed of the existing memory but due to age a lot of these chips do turn up bad time to time. 😵

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 19 of 21, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

I have tried this and might have killed a Tseng 4000wp2 :L Trident is one of the slower choices out there but compatibility. Once you do upgrade the memory the gains will come mainly from the extra bandwidth but not much else.

Did you stick the memory in the wrong way>

~ At least it can do black and white~