VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

I got this chipset cooler on an Abit motherboard and want to keep it but the fan is hardly turning. There was a lot of dirt around that area, so I took it all apart and gave it a good bath.

I would like to replace the motor, but I'm not sure what I need to do and don't want to break anything. Want to keep everything intact so to speak 😀

Would you just pull off the blade to get to the motor? I likely got other motors I can use from graphics card replacement coolers I purchased.

sexI7k5l.jpg

zY38DEpl.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 16, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try to replace the motor/clean and oil it up.
Blades are attached to the case VIA an flexible metal ring that holds it in place. Remove the bottom sticker, remove the ring and pull out the fan blade with magnets.
Also, its high chance that it wont have a metal ring, but an plastic shitty one that can break.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very easy job and something I learned on my own almost a decade ago 😉
Just peal the sticker on the back and apply oil to the barring then give it a spin by hand till it spins easy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd really like to keep the fan and everything authentic 😀

Will try the oil method tonight. Just got to source some oil. Any tips?

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I'd really like to keep the fan and everything authentic 😀

Will try the oil method tonight. Just got to source some oil. Any tips?

cheap 10W40 motor oil. Seriously. I have a quart that's half full that i've used for YEARS.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I usually just pull the fan off and see if the chipset is cool enough without it. Sometimes the CPU fan moves air through the chipset heatsink too.

This is what I'd do - or find a similar looking heatsink that doesn't need a fan; for example I've got an Abit heatsink off of a board that didn't use fans on my AN7 - the colors match up, but I don't have to live with the 10,000 RPM screamer than the AN7 originally came with. You'd only really notice the "switch" if you're looking at a picture of the AN7 against mine.

If it can run cool enough with the fan off, maybe just leave the fan hooked-on for decoration?

Reply 9 of 16, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had success replacing fan motor. I tried twice long ago and both times the propeller lost its balance. I oiled the fans up for some time, but recently I have found goodish fans growing really cheap, so I don't bother anymore, fans became consumable for me.

If I were you, I would go for something like this:
http://www.izarmicro.net/fotos/productos/ZM-NBF47.jpg
http://pontoppidan.info/lars/passivevga/zmnb47_2.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/HX0AAOxyoeBSBJI0/$(KGrHqZ,!oQFHdmQw1M(BSBJI0fmrQ~~60_35.JPG

Reply 10 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The mounting mechanisms is a bit different with this board. But I agree that active cooling might not be needed for stock operation (I have no plans to overclock).

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 16, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been dismantling chipset fans for years, and I assure you, it just takes patience... and sometimes a needle. Those plastic retaining washers are harder to remove because they are tiny and fragile in comparison to a metal c-clip. But I clean all the parts with alcohol and usually put them back together with transmission fluid or engine oil.

Reply 15 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Used some oil and the fan is working great 😀

The board still has some issues, might be caps. It locks up at certain times, even when not under load. Like during POST or when formatting a drive.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 16, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reseat the CPU once in a while, just in case. It does sound as if you absolutely have bad caps either on the motherboard or in the power supply or both.