VOGONS

Reply 40 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The XP 2500+ can be a nice chip, but it really deserves a better graphics adapter and power supply. It doesn't look like the entire machine is "circa 2004" either - looks more like a hodge-podge. But nice to have a complete starting point no matter! I'm guessing that doing a "combo build" from the two, and maybe some additional parts, will give you a very nice overall machine.

Reply 41 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right about the hodge-podge bit. But they were cheap and between them had some promising parts, e.g. the 4200 ti, Barton, 1gb DDR ram, a big Cooler Master HAC cooler, optical drives, etc. The whole lot is one big shitty mess, but I will endeavour to make something of it, hopefully!

Reply 42 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

You're right about the hodge-podge bit. But they were cheap and between them had some promising parts, e.g. the 4200 ti, Barton, 1gb DDR ram, a big Cooler Master HAC cooler, optical drives, etc. The whole lot is one big shitty mess, but I will endeavour to make something of it, hopefully!

Yeah I was thinking an XP 2500+ with a Ti 4200 would make a nice system - and if that's all you get out of it, that's still fine as wine unless you overpaid (and I'm assuming you didn't). Hopefully the clean-up doesn't produce any big surprises.

Reply 44 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like the Sempron. It came out during the end of the Athlon XP and had top models as well (with the large cache and faster FSB).

I had a system with such a Sempron, Radeon 9700 and an Asrock board with VIA chipset. It was surprisingly good and very stable. It was my first Asrock board and I've been a fan of them ever since.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 45 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

U can oc the 2500+ Barton to 3200+ speed easily.

not with the board i have. the kt4v can maybe do 175-180mhz fsb tops. no pci/agp locks you see.

on another note, i've replaced the missing ram clip with a spare from an old board.

now i need to fix the bad cap on the kt7 turbo 2. what are some good cap brands? anything i need to know before going out n buying some?

Reply 47 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rubicon, nichicon and panasonic seem to get good feedback too. ok, im off to buy a bunch and fix that board.

these boards seem worth some work given what ebay sourced replacements are charging

Reply 49 of 50, by Space Cowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sgt76 wrote:

rubicon, nichicon and panasonic seem to get good feedback too. ok, im off to buy a bunch and fix that board.

these boards seem worth some work given what ebay sourced replacements are charging

Rubycon - do not get anything, that has a changed letter - it might be a cheap china copy 😀

Btw, I would not bother with any of the boards you mentioned. Probably the KT133A, if it has an ISA slot, but ... given the games you want to play, you will not need an ISA slot for soundcard anyway. (you need SB live! or Audigy)

The other board is KT333, and the Barton 2500+ is 166 FSB already (it will work perfectly well as 3200+ @ 200FSB)) - try to find any of the boards from the posts above - Asus, Abit, Epox with Nforce2. Or KT600/KT880 chipset.

Reply 50 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ruby...gottid..thanks for the tip bro!

yeah, these rigs are far from top end but they've grown on me. they represent what real builds with budget constraints and all that, rather than a best parts config built with tdy's hindsight and money.

so im gonna try keeping changes of key parts to a minimum.