VOGONS

First post, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's been a flurry of topics on these recently, which has piqued my curiosity.

Hypothetically speaking, what would be a killer Athlon XP setup? Appreciate input on the core parts: cpu, motherboard, ram, video card, but not overlooking also period correct peripherals that would make it a great build, i.e. heatsink, case, drives, sound card, 5.25" devices, psu, etc.

My own noobish guess would be the following:
CPU: Barton? or Mobile XP? any reason to go for something earlier?
Motherboard: Nforce 2/ VIA KT400?
Ram: 1gb of low latency CL2 DDR400. What's an optimal amount for these sort of platforms?
Video card: Radeon 9800 Pro or Nvidia FX5950 or something newer?
Case: Lian Li PC60, CM Mystique/ Wavemaster/ ATC, Antec, Chieftec Dragon or something along those lines?
Heatsink: 😕 no idea, seriously. What would allow a high-powered A XP to run cool?
Hard drive: some IDE/ SATA stuff about 80- 250gb
Sound card: SB Audigy
PSU: something about 450w ?
O/S: Windows XP or could you turn this into a really overpowered Win98 rig?

Reply 1 of 50, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Barton 3200+
nforce 2 ultra 400 (DFI or Abit)
Radeon 9800XT

1GB DDR1 400 (if no OC is allowed), 2x 512 for dual channel.
some WD Raptor raid 0 from the era,

it would be around 2003

you could use soundstorm and something external for DAC, gaming I think something like Audigy 2 was "high end", not sure.

Reply 2 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would go with:

VIA chipset board
Sempron CPU (I believe they replaced the Athlon XP)
Radeon 9800 or X800 card or GT6600 AGP
Audigy / Audigy 2/4
Windows XP

But personally I prefer a P4 system. But if I had to go AMD, it would be something along the lines of the above.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 50, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
I would go with: […]
Show full quote

I would go with:

VIA chipset board
Sempron CPU (I believe they replaced the Athlon XP)
Radeon 9800 or X800 card or GT6600 AGP
Audigy / Audigy 2/4
Windows XP

But personally I prefer a P4 system. But if I had to go AMD, it would be something along the lines of the above.

Sempron was released later when 754 or 939 was high end, the Sempron 3300+ socket A performs the same as the top Athlon XP (3200+)
it's basically the same CPU renamed,

KT600 was fine, but I think nforce 2 ultra 400 is the definitive chipset for the platform, I think VIA never adopted dual channel, K400 had trouble or no support for FSB 400 and so on...
6600GT/x800 is to new for this (late 2004), more for a Clawhammer (A64) era build,

9800XT was the king, but most people would just buy a 9800PRO, because it could perform almost the same with some OC, apart from the fact it had less memory usually. (256 vs 128)

Reply 4 of 50, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Barton 3000/3200+
nForce 2 ultra 400 (Abit NF-7 ver 2.0).
Abit siluro GF4 Ti 4600.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 5 of 50, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPU; Why not an Athlon XP-M Barton? Free multiplier; clock it at 12x200MHz.
Motherboard; don't know.
RAM; 2x 1024MiB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM
Videocard; GeForce 7 7900 or Radeon X1950 series card
Case; midi-tower, that's all I can advise.
Heatsink; don't know.
HDD; 120GiB + 320GiB secondary. Both 7200RPM ofcourse.
Sound card; don't know.
PSU; 300 to 350Watts should suffice:
- Athlon XP will have a maximum TDP of 80Watts.
- GeForce 7900 GTO = 81Watt (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/185/geforce-7900-gto.html)
- Radeon X1950 XT = 96Watt (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/190/radeon-x1950-xt.html)

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 7 of 50, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If we're restricting this to parts from 2003, that rules out the GeForce 6800 line, X-Fi cards and other notable hardware that released the very next year.

In that case, your choice of graphics card now boils down to what you want to run on this system.

-DX9/SM2.0 games are best left to a Radeon 9800 Pro/XT. The GeForce FX line was infamous for its terrible performance here.
-DX8 and older games, alongside anything OpenGL, will favor the GeForce FX 5900/5950 Ultra.

Sound-wise, you'll top out at the Audigy 4, more likely the Audigy 2 due to the Audigy 4's rarity.

Also, important note on RAM: if you intend on running 2 GB in dual-channel, you'd better set a 2T command rate beforehand lest you wind up pulling your hair out over instability problems like I did on my A7N8X-E Deluxe. In that case, I actually had to flash a modded BIOS first!

Reply 8 of 50, by Space Cowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MB: Epox 8rda3+, Abit Nf7-S rev 2.0, DFI Lanparty (there are at least two Lanparties that worth mentioning)
CPU: Mobile Barton (unlocked multiplier), Sempron 3000+ and up (barton core, and easily overclocked to above 2500 real Mhz), Barton, Thoroughbred rev B
Cooler: Thermalright SLK-900U
VGA: Nvidia GF 6800 Ultra
RAM: the more the better, but keep in mind, that running 2x1GB in N-force 2 board will not allow for high FSB ... 200 is safe, anyway with quality sticks. You could try DDR500 - I used to dream of a pair of them, back then 😀 I personally would go for 2X1GB
Sound: I do not really care - most Audigy's are OK. I've ran mine with Live 5.1.
HDD: 2x cheap SATA in RAID? The Sil 3112 was awful, btw 😀 I would go fora fast P-ATA disk

Reply 9 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of good suggestions here; my personal view is pretty in-line with what's been said already; as far as the boards I'll say that I did *not* like the DFI LanParty KT400A; the NF-II B Ultra is generally a much better board. From Abit you have both the NF7-S and the AN7 as good choices.

Another idea would be to go with a dual-462 board and either a pair of XP-Ms (for some reason they're unlocked for SMP) or AthlonMP 2800s and the same from above - you won't have as much OC'ing as an NF2 with an XP-M, but you'll have two CPUs!

Graphics wise, the FX 5950 or 9800XT would be "era appropriate" for TOTL; the 5900XT and 9800SE were popular choices for overclocking (and in the case of the 9800, unlocking) on a budget though. The 9600XT was/is also a good choice. If you're digging around used cards, the 6600GT AGP would also be a good choice as well. Or, if you can find one, an AIW X800 AGP. If you're going beyond the 6800/X800 series, there won't be as many options - there's only a few AGP cards from the GF7/X1800 era (they all use bridge adapters).

PSU wise PC Power & Cooling was/is a good choice, the Fortron 530W was a popular choice, as well as the TTGI/Superflower 420W; anything that can supply sufficient power should work though - honestly unless you already have said PSU, I'd just get something modern in the 400-600W range instead of dealing with a used unit.

Cooler wise: Thermalright made a number of popular coolers, including the SLK-800 and 900 and the SI-97; Thermaltake had a few popular hits as well, most had "Orb" in the product name, and finally Zalman with their huge copper or copper/alu hybrid models. There should also be waterblocks available for 462. Keep weight in mind though - the heatsink clips to the socket like S370.

Soundcard wise: the SoundStorm built-in on the NF2 Ultra is good, and will do DDL, but if you want discrete the Audigy 2 ZS and ZS Platinum were "it" back then. M-Audio also had the Revolution which was mildly popular, along with the Chaintech 710 (which is similar but was much cheaper).

AFAIK you could run XP or 98SE at will as long as you don't have a GF7 or X1800; the GF-FX and GF6 should support 98, and I'd assume the 9800s do as well. I do not know about the X800 and 98 though.

EDIT

Forgot to add: if you need DVI output, some of the lower-model GeForce FX and Radeon 9 cards (like the FX 5200 and Radeon 9500) tend not to be the best choices if it has to be high-resolution (like 1600x1200), as they tend not to be able to provide the full bandwidth 165MHz connection. The later cards from that era, like the 5700/5900 and 9600/9800 boards tend to be good-to-go for single link. If you want DL DVI from a card from that era, the Quadro FX 2000 (GeForce FX 5800) and FX 3000 (FX 5900) offer one DL DVI output, and have very high quality DVI on both of their outputs (they use external transmitters for everything). I'm not sure about the FireGL X1/X2 boards and DL DVI, but also note that some of those boards are AGP Pro (and will not work in a normal AGP slot).

Price-wise an FX 2000 or FX 3000 should be comparable (perhaps cheaper - I've seen some pretty high prices for 5950s and 5800s over the years); for example a quick look on ebay shows a lot of FX 2000s for right around $20, and FX 3000s for around $30-$40 while FX 5900s seem to run from $40 to $80, and 5800s seem unavailable.

Here's an article from ExtremeTech about the DVI thing: http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/55254- … liance-shootout

Random thought based on the above: I'd probably go for a Quadro FX 2000 if you're on a budget - $20 and it gives you better DVI connectivity than any GeForce FX board, and performance on-par with the upper-tier of the GeForce FX lineup. AND it doesn't have the super-blower cooler. 😀

Reply 10 of 50, by BuuBox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I built an Athlon XP system like a few years ago.

I based it around an Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard, a Barton XP3200+, 2 x 1GB DDR400, a 74GB WD Raptor, and a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro. The video card wasn't quite period correct, but the fan died on my 9800XT. Great system. 😀

It was a pain getting a NF7-S motherboard that worked 100% - ethernet failure and/or instability seemed common. I think the chipset coolers for these were marginal.

Reply 11 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BuuBox wrote:

It was a pain getting a NF7-S motherboard that worked 100% - ethernet failure and/or instability seemed common. I think the chipset coolers for these were marginal.

Abit boards of that time still frequently had defective capacitors. I'm not sure I'd blame the chipset temps. You can passively cool nForce2 fairly easily.

Reply 12 of 50, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would stay away from DFI boards. They were very popular among overclockers. For that reason a lot of Lanparty boards show up here dead or unstable.

Reply 13 of 50, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the NF7-S 2.0 I had was amazing, no single problem, great for OC, good features...

the Epox 8rda+ I had ended up having bad capacitors, and was not as good as the nf7-s anyway, the A7N8X I've onwed was less stable, and had onboard audio problems, the msi nf2 (can't remember the name) was also not so great, I've corrupted the bios trying to go over fsb 400 (which all the others did quite well)

I remember a lot of people complaining about the 8rda+ capacitors, but the nforce 2 abits? first time I'm seeing someone saying bad capacitors were a common thing,

also nforce 2 at 400fsb or more would get really hot, even the southbridge could get a little to warm... active cooling was a good thing, I had to mod my 8rda+ to add cooling, when going for high FSBs OC

Reply 14 of 50, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

I would stay away from DFI boards. They were very popular among overclockers. For that reason a lot of Lanparty boards show up here dead or unstable.

This is a good point - something I hadn't thought about in considering "used hardware" and all that. If you find a DFI in good condition it can be a fine board, but if they've been run ragged for a decade or more I'd steer clear; and unless you're buying it from the original owner (or something along those lines) you've got no idea what their history/condition is like. 😐

SPBHM: I don't think they're specifically condemning Abit, so much as mentioning that boards of this age can, in general, be victims of the cap plague. 😵

Reply 15 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! So many good replies! Many thanks people. So let me see what I can summarize from all this:
CPU: Barton and Mobile XP seem to get top marks here, with no one even mentioning a Thoroughbred, Palomino, Thunderbird, etc (ok, this is technically not an XP, I know 😉 ) edit: forgot the Sempron! Thanks again for the good tips!

Motherboard: Looking at opinions and some of my own research, it seems the Epox boards of the era have capasitor quality problems. Possibly the Abit NF7 too, though that is the legendary socket A board from what I've heard. Looks like an Asus A7X series is the one to go for. I like DFI for that era but don't know if I can get one easily. Funny no one hasmentioned anything about Gigabyte boards.

Ram: Easy one...General agreement seems to be 1gb or 2gb of low latency CL2 DDR.

Video card: I'm gonna stick with either a Radeon 9800 Pro, Nvidia FX5950 or 4600 Ti. I'm probably not gonna put in anything newer as power is not so much a consideration as building something period correct for my nostalgia trip.
@ obobskivich -> thanks for the tip on the FX2000/ 3000 bro. I'll keep a lookout for them on my next online shopping spree on epray.

Case: Looks like no one has any strong opinions on these. I might fit this rig in something like an old Cooler Master Centurion, Mystique, ATC or something. Though I'd really really love a Lian Li PC60 or ATC200

Heatsink: Thermalright or Zalman by the looks of it.

Hard drive: Will try to get a Raptor, failing which some raided IDEs would be cool I think.

Sound card: SB Audigy 2

PSU: A quality 400-450 watter will do the trick nicely. Will buy a new one without sleeving to get that "retro" look 😀

O/S: Windows XP FTW

Question: What would be the latest games that something above would handle at high/ medium settings?

Reply 16 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have the gear to replace caps, I wouldn't worry so much about it. It's usually just he big ones near the CPU socket that need replacing.

In regards to games, once you go DX9 this system will quickly run out of steam. Doom 3, Fear, Far Cry they can all tax a Core 2 Duo with a Geforce 7 card with the right settings.

What games do you want to play?

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 50, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I wouldn't go far beyond 2004-2005 with this. Even in 2005 there were games like Age of Empires 3 that required a D3D9.0c/SM3 card for highest settings. And then UT2004 was known for being quite CPU limited...

Reply 18 of 50, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

If you have the gear to replace caps, I wouldn't worry so much about it. It's usually just he big ones near the CPU socket that need replacing.

I have a very bad soldering iron and not much else. Don't think I could pull it off without causing more damage than it already came with!

As far as games go, I'm aiming to play some classics from that era:
Age of Mythology
Dungeon Siege
Freedom Force
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
Mafia
Medieval: Total War
Neverwinter Nights
No One Lives Forever 2
The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
Warcraft III
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Max Payne 2
Need for Speed Underground
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
XIII

That sorta thing. Whaddya think?

Reply 19 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So games at around 2003?

Hard to say to be honest. I just mucked around with Splinter Cell on a P4, 512 MB, Ti4200 AGP 8x and W98SE and at max quality at 1024 x 768 the game isn't smooth. I believe that games from that era got very demanding very quickly.

What resolution will you be playing? Note that 1600 x 1200 was out of reach for most. It's like playing PC games at Ultra HD or 4K resolution: Not many do it.

I think you will just have to build it and see how you go 😁

My YouTube channel