VOGONS

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My quest for having a system suited to each era of computing (from later XT up to Win XP computing focusing on DOS and WINDOWS) without using emulation is ongoing.

The first step in my quest was to identify eras I would be building for and the best or most appropriate Motherboard/CPU/Video combo for that Era. I don't care if the hardware is actually from that era though...I just want to put together the best systems I can for each era in terms of performance but without compromising stability and compatibility (and again, without DosBOX or any other emulation).

So far, what I came up with is as follows:

ERA--------------------------------------------MB/CPU/VIDEO-----------------------------------------O/S
Earliest DOS with Tandy/CGA Graphics----8087/8088 XT / Tandy 1000-------------------------------DOS 3.3-5
Earliest DOS with EGA Graphics------------286 or slow 386 with EGA adapter-------------------------DOS 3.3-5
Early DOS with VGA--------------------------386DX40 with Tseng ET4000 VGA--------------------------DOS 7.1
Early DOS with Win3.11 (VGA)-------------S7/SS7 w/ P166MMX and AGP/PCI/Voodoo 1-------------DOS 7.1 & Win3.11
Later (pure) DOS----------------------------PII400 with AGP card and 2xVoodoo PCI 12MB------------DOS 7.1
Latest DOS with Win 95--------------------PIII S370 Board with Voodoo3 AGP-------------------------DOS 7.1 & Win95
Win 98SE-------------------------------------S478 P4 with fast 8x AGP Card-----------------------------Win98SE
Win 2000-------------------------------------S775 Core 2 Duo with PCI-e Graphics---------------------Win2000
Win XP----------------------------------------S775 Core 2 Duo with SLI/Crossfire PCI-e Graphics-----WinXP

I would like to dedicate my Tandy 1000 TL/2 to play the most primitive DOS games mostly in CGA or 16 color modes. I may include a VGA adapter in there and via a software switch, have the ability to switch between CGA and VGA modes (seen on Vogons somewhere). I am planning on putting together a slow 386 with an EGA adapter just to have something a little faster ‘in between’ to experience early games that support up to EGA graphics.

I have all the parts ready to assemble a killer 386DX40 system with a Tseng ET4000 ISA video card, Roland MPU-IPC interface, and OPL chip Yamaha, Sound Blasters, and AWE64 Gold cards galore to try out in this system. It will most likely be my most used retro system I will be building because it will be built to play all my favorite games - early LucasArts and Sierra games (and Wing Commander) and will run almost any games of that era smoothly.

For other early DOS games and Win3.11 games, I am proposing that I use a P166MMX S7 system. Maybe AGP with my SS7 board and for sure PCI Voodoo 1 (4MB) graphics. This system will be able to run some of the earliest DOS Glide games and slightly newer DOS games made after eary Sierra and LucasArts era at fastest settings for the most part (at least that’s what I’m hoping). I have been using an ASUS TXP-4 for this purpose for a while now, but I will be revising this build to include a better MB, possibly a SS7 board I just received as part of a big lot purchase.

My PII400 system is based on a i440LX chipset as a pure DOS rig for Later DOS games that will include a 4x AGP card (in 2x slot) and 2xVoodoo 12MB SLI setup. I currently have started this build but only have 2x8mb voodoo cards in my possession (wish I had the 12MB versions) and it is complimented by a GeForce 2 card at the moment. I want to beef up the specs of my video setup for this rig, but for now, I just want to get everything setup and running stable. I believe that this will be able to handle some DOS flight sim games that I like to play pretty well. SomeDOS Glide games will most likely run very well and some older DOS games that may benefit from and run fine on a faster system will be what I will be playing on this rig.

As a Win95 and DOS system (I know, I know, why not just go with Win98?...well I want to have a dedicated Win95 system somewhere in my repertoire), I thought a S370 PIII 1.0GHz would fit the bill nicely. A nice Voodoo3 AGP card would be ideal in that it offers DOS compatibility as well. There will be considerable overlap with games I will run with this system and my dedicated Win98 system I have planned (see below) as the specs for this system will allow playing similar games. This will give me a chance to compare games on Win95 and Win98…I will keep the one on the system that runs it better (I have heard that there are some games that just run smoother and faster on Win95 than Win98). For sound, I am contemplating using a Diamond MX300 sound card (good DOS compatibility). I will be running some DOS games with this system, but I am gussing not many as it will be better to run the majority of them on slower, more compatible hardware, but for those games that embrace the faster PIII processor, I will for sure run them in this setup.

For my dedicated Win98SE build, I have done a lot of research (on paper) and have come up with an ASUS P4P800SE or my Gigabyte (875P chipset) 8KNXP board as the base for my build. A 500W Bronze rated P/S will drive a 3.2GHz, 2x512MB PC3200 RAM system that will include a GeForce 6800 8X AGP card I just recently purchased along with Creative Audigy hardware with EAX.

Win 2000 and Win XP systems will receive the Core2Duo treatment. I am already running my Core2Duo ASUS Maximus Formula X38, 2xATI HD6870 Crossfire system as my main rig, but it still requires some tweaking. I have tried many XP games with this rig and I have had only minor issues with some games. The Win2000 system I have planned is low on my priority list, but I hope to have it running soon to try it out with some business applications and earlier Windows games.

I know it is pretty much impossible to create the ideal system for each era, but this is my feeble attempt at it for now, using what I have in my possession at this time.

I am most excited about getting my Tandy 1000TL/2 system up and running the way I want to get some old classics going the way I remember them wayyyy back in the day. Also, the PII Voodoo2 SLI setup is exciting for me too as I pretty much missed that whole era of computing and would love to experience it with some good 3Dfx/Glide games.

I will be sharing everything with my 8 port KVM switch and will have some computers connected to my 40” Sony LCD as a secondary monitor and some to a CRT an all to my main 23” LCD. This will be accomplished with some secondary monitor switching on top of the use of the KVM.

Again, I know it is difficult to come up with the best solution for everything, but it’s nice to at least try to get some feedback from people here that have been trying to do something similar over the last few years. I have enough hardware and software to make a good effort at covering all operating system eras I’m interested in, so why not?

I am very curious to hear others opinions on this topic and would love to see a list from others regarding their ideal combinations of CPU/MB specs in relation to the Operating System Era. This is a constant learning process for me and I would appreciate any feedback or related stories of your experiences, plans and/or opinions regarding this topic.

Reply 1 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few thoughts, mostly about the later era systems and your monitor/switching needs:

- I wouldn't worry about AGP 8x AT ALL. Even in the early 2000s it wasn't materializing any performance benefits over AGP 4x. I'm not saying avoid 8x, but if you find a nice 4x board that gives you everything you need for that machine, you won't be missing anything. 😀

- I would do one of two things in response to the SLI/CrossFire note: either completely nix it and go for a very powerful single GPU (this would be my preferred choice), or throw caution to the wind and go with a 4-way GPU setup a la QuadSLI or CrossFireX. Many of the nVidia GX2 cards aren't terribly expensive these days... 😎

There's actually a method to that madness: Tom's has documented single and 3+ GPU systems as exhibiting little-to-no microstutter, in contrast to dual GPU systems that exhibit the phenomenon quite severely in some cases. Additionally, as you move into 3 or 4 GPUs you generally can enable very high levels of AA (we're talking 16x or higher) with essentially no impact on performance. My anecdotal example is my experience with multiple HD 4870s - with two of them I would notice stutter in at least a few games, and was maxing out at 8x AA in many applications (16x in some). With three of them 16-24x AA was basically an "assumed standard setting" and things looked smooth as glass across the board. A single powerful GPU will get you the same smoothness and performance, sans the insanity-class AA, and can lead to a system with much neater wire management and lower power requirements.

- If you want the ultimate Windows XP box, why not go with a DP platform? Like Skulltrail or QuadFX. 😘 I'm just kind of envisioning, conservatively, Skulltraill 5400XS, twin 3.2GHz quad-cores or 3.4GHz dual-cores, 16GB of RAM, a pair of GTX 295s, and a kW+ PSU. Throw a PCIe SSD in one of the remaining expansion slots - to hell with loading screens! 😈

- Any reason for the Voodoo3 instead of something like a GeForce 2? (nVidia does have Windows 95 drivers listed on their website; I've never personally tested this combination though) I think you can still find GF2 Ultras for around $20 (and if memory serves, they were like $600-$700 cards when new... 🤣).

On your video switching thing - why not get a matrix controller and plug everything (or everything with common outputs at least) into it? It'd give you a lot more options for display routing over a KVM, assuming all of your devices have some common display interface (VGA, DVI, HDMI, whatever).

Reply 2 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

A few thoughts, mostly about the later era systems and your monitor/switching needs:

- I wouldn't worry about AGP 8x AT ALL. Even in the early 2000s it wasn't materializing any performance benefits over AGP 4x. I'm not saying avoid 8x, but if you find a nice 4x board that gives you everything you need for that machine, you won't be missing anything. 😀

My 8x AGP Geforce 6800 is the fastest AGP card I own that has Win98SE support and it will go on the best/fastest board I own that still has Win98 drivers (Asus P4P800SE), so I don't see the point of not using them for my Win98 build if they are just sitting there. My P4P800SE is one of the nicest 8xAGP boards that supports Win98, so why should I just use a "nice 4x board" instead? I see what you mean if you're thinking to just use an older chipset (i.e. 815E and just forego s478, but I really want to squeeze out the most out of Win98SE and my P4P800SE without having to jump up to WinXP).

obobskivich wrote:

- I would do one of two things in response to the SLI/CrossFire note: either completely nix it and go for a very powerful single GPU (this would be my preferred choice), or throw caution to the wind and go with a 4-way GPU setup a la QuadSLI or CrossFireX. Many of the nVidia GX2 cards aren't terribly expensive these days... 😎

I see what you are saying here, but, as I mentioned, I have a HD6870 in Crossfire already and since I own these video cards, there's no point in just using 1 when I can just use both. I can disable Crossfire in Catalyst software anytime of course.

Comparison of NVidia GX2 you mention and HD6870: http://www.hwcompare.com/6011/geforce-9800-gx … radeon-hd-6870/

I like NVidia and I do think the GX2 card is better than my HD6870 in some respects, but the HD6870 is better in some respects as well...For now, it's been treating me well, but maybe down the road I will try to just get 1 more powerful card in lieu of my Crossfire setup, but of course, I have to make sure whatever I get has Windows XP drivers...I do not want to upgrade this system to Win7. That is usually the limiting factor here.

obobskivich wrote:

- If you want the ultimate Windows XP box, why not go with a DP platform? Like Skulltrail or QuadFX. 😘 I'm just kind of envisioning, conservatively, Skulltraill 5400XS, twin 3.2GHz quad-cores or 3.4GHz dual-cores, 16GB of RAM, a pair of GTX 295s, and a kW+ PSU. Throw a PCIe SSD in one of the remaining expansion slots - to hell with loading screens! 😈

I really like your suggestion...I actually have looked into a very similar setup lately (great minds think alike 🤣 ), but it costs too much to justify making those kind of purchases for me for just a little better performance as compared to my Core2Duo E8500 ASUS Maximus Formula System. I would say overall, I stand to gain about a 25% gain in performance with going with the setup you mention, but it would cost me double of what I paid for my current setup I'm sure....I will keep looking for bargains though...who knows what I may find if I keep looking.

obobskivich wrote:

- Any reason for the Voodoo3 instead of something like a GeForce 2? (nVidia does have Windows 95 drivers listed on their website; I've never personally tested this combination though) I think you can still find GF2 Ultras for around $20 (and if memory serves, they were like $600-$700 cards when new... 🤣).

I actually had listed a Geforce 2 in my list first and later changed to Voodoo3...either way I think I would be happy, but Voodoo3 is my choice just because of compatibility with DOS.

obobskivich wrote:

On your video switching thing - why not get a matrix controller and plug everything (or everything with common outputs at least) into it? It'd give you a lot more options for display routing over a KVM, assuming all of your devices have some common display interface (VGA, DVI, HDMI, whatever).

I actually have looked into getting a good matrix switcher....saw a couple on a local eBay sellers list that were going for less than $20, but there is always something that just wont work for my setup (i.e. strange proprietary connector interfaces, not enough inputs/outputs, missing remotes, need for special out of production cables, etc.). Again, I will keep looking though 🤣 .

Reply 3 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the fast Win9x rigs I would also pop in a PowerVR PCX2 card as a reasonably slow bottleneck for the few speed crazy Direct3D games (and adding ability to play the SGL ones), but unfortunately that's not a card that would work with a Geforce properly.

Using the D3D HAL on PowerVR is optional and you can even do profiles to enable/disable the card for individual games 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

For the fast Win9x rigs I would also pop in a PowerVR PCX2 card as a reasonably slow bottleneck for the few speed crazy Direct3D games (and adding ability to play the SGL ones), but unfortunately that's not a card that would work with a Geforce properly.

Using the D3D HAL on PowerVR is optional and you can even do profiles to enable/disable the card for individual games 😀

Thanks for the advice. I read up a bit on the PowerVR PCX2...it looks very interesting...I have never used one and none of my friends have ever owned one, so I've never seen it in action....I may hunt for one of those cards and try it out when I can.

EDIT: Just saw one (MATROX PowerVR PCX2) on eBay going for close to $30 + shipping right now (1 bid, 4 days left)...seems a little pricey considering that I can get a Voodoo2 12MB for that price...but I guess it's a rare card and one has to pay for that luxury.

Last edited by retrofanatic on 2014-04-10, 23:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran into this issue of having to build too many systems.

Now everything is tucked away and work on a project basis and put a system together on a test bench. I'm a lot less stressed and it's cheaper because you don't need to get 15 cases, 15 PSUs, 15 optical drives, all of which could fail at any time...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I ran into this issue of having to build too many systems.

Now everything is tucked away and work on a project basis and put a system together on a test bench. I'm a lot less stressed and it's cheaper because you don't need to get 15 cases, 15 PSUs, 15 optical drives, all of which could fail at any time...

I know...I hear that a lot when I mention what I am trying to accomplish, but I have always wanted to do what I am talking about in this topic...and I have all the necessary hardware now to do it, as well as some extra space, so why not. Besides, I don't foresee many of my PSU's and fans, etc. failing all that often..🤣...but I do see your point though...but it's a risk (and sacrifice?) I'm willing to take.

I know what you mean about storing things away and just working away at things one-by-one...I did do the same for a while, but then just pulled everything out last month, trying again to live the dream and hoping to make it happen this time 🤣

I am halfway there though, as I have made sure to buy about 7 cases like these (posted on other topics here on Vogons) to try and keep everything matching as much as possible and keep everything neat.

2255625o.jpg
Filename
2255625o.jpg
File size
6.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here are 4 of my 7 cases in the photo below.
I bought each one with P/S for only about $12 each from a local used computer store.

IMG-20140105-00219.jpg
Filename
IMG-20140105-00219.jpg
File size
24.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's not really cheaper for me at this point to run one system at a time anyways because I have tons of cases, PSU's, etc. that I have been collecting over the years and most of what I have obtained has been free.

Reply 7 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCX2 is bottlenecked by the bus transfer speed going from PCI to your host card, which is great for an addon role since it doesn't rely on a pass-through cable and won't cause the signal quality to go down. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 22, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

regarding your DOS / Windows 3.11 setup

Early DOS with Win3.11 (VGA)-------------S7/SS7 w/ P166MMX and AGP/PCI/Voodoo 1-------------DOS 7.1 & Win3.11

Are there even Voodoo 1 drivers available for Windows 3.1? If so, I haven't found them... not that I have spent a lot of time looking, but I am starting to collect bits and pieces for the same type setup and happen to have a V1 card standing by if there are drivers. Or do you plan to use Windows 95 on top?

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 9 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

My 8x AGP Geforce 6800 is the fastest AGP card I own that has Win98SE support and it will go on the best/fastest board I own that still has Win98 drivers (Asus P4P800SE), so I don't see the point of not using them for my Win98 build if they are just sitting there. My P4P800SE is one of the nicest 8xAGP boards that supports Win98, so why should I just use a "nice 4x board" instead? I see what you mean if you're thinking to just use an older chipset (i.e. 815E and just forego s478, but I really want to squeeze out the most out of Win98SE and my P4P800SE without having to jump up to WinXP).

If you already own it, don't mess with it. 😀 My advice was more relating to if you're going out shopping, don't sweat AGP8x - its more marketing gimmick than anything else. 😐

I see what you are saying here, but, as I mentioned, I have a HD6870 in Crossfire already and since I own these video cards, there's no point in just using 1 when I can just use both.

Micro-stutter, CF-X being incompatible with games, multi-monitor support, etc. 😲

I'm not saying you're wrong to use what you have, just that CrossFireX/SLI aren't as perfect as marketing makes them out to be, especially with 2 GPUs. I'd say add a third, but if memory serves the HD 6000 series is where ATi did an about-face and locked that out on everything but the most expensive models (:dead:). 9800GX2 or what-have-you is technically slower on paper, but for DX9 games you really shouldn't notice the performance difference (because this class of card is so totally overkill for those games). Again though, if you already have it, leave it be. 🤣

If you're going out shopping for a QuadFX/Skulltrail platform (as below), why not look at GTX 295? Or a trio of HD 4800/5800 cards? 😀

I really like your suggestion...I actually have looked into a very similar setup lately (great minds think alike 🤣 ), but it costs too much to justify making those kind of purchases for me for just a little better performance as compared to my Core2Duo E8500 ASUS Maximus Formula System. I would say overall, I stand to gain about a 25% gain in performance with going with the setup you mention, but it would cost me double of what I paid for my current setup I'm sure....I will keep looking for bargains though...who knows what I may find if I keep looking.

Last I knew the Xeon chips for such a build were going for fairly low prices, especially the dual-cores, so the only hang-up is the motherboard. I think D5400XS (it has to be D5400XS) is running around $100 used these days. 😀 Certainly has come down from the $6000+ the platform cost when it was new. 🤣

I actually had listed a Geforce 2 in my list first and later changed to Voodoo3...either way I think I would be happy, but Voodoo3 is my choice just because of compatibility with DOS.

Gotcha. I figured either would be total overkill, but why not just take it to the max? 🤣

I actually have looked into getting a good matrix switcher....saw a couple on a local eBay sellers list that were going for less than $20, but there is always something that just wont work for my setup (i.e. strange proprietary connector interfaces, not enough inputs/outputs, missing remotes, need for special out of production cables, etc.). Again, I will keep looking though 🤣 .

Usually (IME) a quality matrix switch is more than $20 (some of the DVI ones can run into the tens of thousands), and should not require any proprietary cabling or other jakey stuff. Look at Gefen, Startech, Crestron, AMX, etc.

Reply 10 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JoeCorrado wrote:

regarding your DOS / Windows 3.11 setup

Are there even Voodoo 1 drivers available for Windows 3.1? If so, I haven't found them... not that I have spent a lot of time looking, but I am starting to collect bits and pieces for the same type setup and happen to have a V1 card standing by if there are drivers. Or do you plan to use Windows 95 on top?

😕 Thanks for pointing that out....actually, I don't know...I was just planning for this for a while and didn't even bother to check! 😕 🤣 I thought I read about Voodoo on Win 3.11 somewhere but I don't know if it was just someone talking about launching DOS games from Win3.11.

But part of the reason I even considered a Voodoo1 for this setup was to use it for earlier DOS glide games as well, not just pure Win3.11, so if there are no Win3.11 drivers, not all will be lost....I would still have the Voodoo1 ready to handle DOS games.

No, I will not be running Win95 on top of this setup....I just want to stick with Win 3.11 with DOS. To add to the 'purity' of the Win 3.11 setup, I also plan to use one of my Microsoft Sound System sound cards in this setup along with a second ISA sound card (preferably Creative SB16 or AWE64).

Reply 11 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

😕 Thanks for pointing that out....actually, I don't know...I was just planning for this for a while and didn't even bother to check! 😕 🤣 I thought I read about Voodoo on Win 3.11 somewhere but I don't know if it was just someone talking about launching DOS games from Win3.11.

3dfxzone does not list any drivers for Windows 3.1 and Voodoo1; Windows 95 and higher. Their FAQ states that there are GLiDE drivers for DOS and NT 3.51 as well. That's about all I could find looking things up.

Here:
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo1/faq/

And also here:
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo1/drivers/

Reply 12 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

I'm not saying you're wrong to use what you have, just that CrossFireX/SLI aren't as perfect as marketing makes them out to be, especially with 2 GPUs. I'd say add a third, but if memory serves the HD 6000 series is where ATi did an about-face and locked that out on everything but the most expensive models (:dead:). 9800GX2 or what-have-you is technically slower on paper, but for DX9 games you really shouldn't notice the performance difference (because this class of card is so totally overkill for those games). Again though, if you already have it, leave it be. 🤣

Ya, I have read a lot of reviews that say that. I guess I will just keep using my HD6870's for now....to tell you the truth, I originally wanted to buy just one nVidia but I found these two HD6870's for a very good price so I just went for it and I'm stuck with them now. Besides, my Maximus Formula supports Crossfire and not NVidia SLI 😢 so if I do see a better use for Crossfire then at least I will have the option to use it.

obobskivich wrote:

If you're going out shopping for a QuadFX/Skulltrail platform (as below), why not look at GTX 295? Or a trio of HD 4800/5800 cards? 😀

I do like the idea of a GTX 295...if I find one for a good deal I may go for it.

obobskivich wrote:

Gotcha. I figured either would be total overkill, but why not just take it to the max? 🤣

exactly... 🤣 When I get some time to put everything together and test it, things may change....it's all going to depend what games I will be running on it...but yes, for now...I'm going to go take it to the max, as much as the hardware I own will let me.

obobskivich wrote:

Usually (IME) a quality matrix switch is more than $20 (some of the DVI ones can run into the tens of thousands), and should not require any proprietary cabling or other jakey stuff. Look at Gefen, Startech, Crestron, AMX, etc.

Yes, I am aware of that, but luckily for me when I say $20, it's for used units with brand names like Extron and Startech...like you mention....the local eBay place I usually buy from is a recycler and many of these units worth hundreds of dollars usually don't sell very quickly and I can usually get them for a steal of a price and pick it up locally to boot (no shipping charge). But I still haven't found a good all-in-one solution yet...but I'm sure I will soon....this seller seems to have a lot of stock coming in every month.

Reply 13 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
3dfxzone does not list any drivers for Windows 3.1 and Voodoo1; Windows 95 and higher. Their FAQ states that there are GLiDE dri […]
Show full quote
retrofanatic wrote:

3dfxzone does not list any drivers for Windows 3.1 and Voodoo1; Windows 95 and higher. Their FAQ states that there are GLiDE drivers for DOS and NT 3.51 as well. That's about all I could find looking things up.

Here:

And also here:

Thanks for the links! Too bad...maybe I should build yet another system for NT 3.51 as well then 🤣 (not likely)

Reply 14 of 22, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Ya, I have read a lot of reviews that say that. I guess I will just keep using my HD6870's for now....to tell you the truth, I originally wanted to buy just one nVidia but I found these two HD6870's for a very good price so I just went for it and I'm stuck with them now. Besides, my Maximus Formula supports Crossfire and not NVidia SLI 😢 so if I do see a better use for Crossfire then at least I will have the option to use it.

Such is the plight of older motherboards - usually limited to one or the other. You should actually be able to drop an SLI-on-a-card nVidia in there (like 9800GX2 for example), just not a PAIR of them. Otherwise you're stuck with single-GPU for nVidia.

This isn't to say HD 6870 is a bad card - it offers only a minimal performance decrease compared to the 5870, cost less when new, uses less power and runs somewhat cooler, and brings DX11 support. But we *are* talking about overkill machines for older titles, and IMO I'd rather run games like Hitman 3 or Half-Life 2 with 16-32x AA than at 400 FPS. 🤣

I'd say your best bet is probably to leave the HD 6870 system be, and decide if you want to build-up a new XP machine to go after more esoteric hardware; that could actually work out nicely, as the HD 6870 system would make a nice DX10/11 gaming box if it had Windows Vista or 7 installed. Yes I realize this means buying *a lot* more hardware; just thinking aloud more than anything...

I do like the idea of a GTX 295...if I find one for a good deal I may go for it.

I may be wrong but I think around $100 is what they tend to go for. I also vaguely remember something about nVidia revising the GTX 295 in production, and there being two versions of the card (which, of course, logically, means that they should just keep the same model ## 🤣).

Here's a Guru3D article that talks about at least some of it:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_ … b_review,1.html

Yes, I am aware of that, but luckily for me when I say $20, it's for used units with brand names like Extron and Startech...like you mention....the local eBay place I usually buy from is a recycler and many of these units worth hundreds of dollars usually don't sell very quickly and I can usually get them for a steal of a price and pick it up locally to boot (no shipping charge). But I still haven't found a good all-in-one solution yet...but I'm sure I will soon....this seller seems to have a lot of stock coming in every month.

Aha! I was wondering if it wasn't something like that - also explains missing accessories. 😢 (Why is it so hard to recycle everything together these days? 🤣)

Reply 15 of 22, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:
obobskivich wrote:
3dfxzone does not list any drivers for Windows 3.1 and Voodoo1; Windows 95 and higher. Their FAQ states that there are GLiDE dri […]
Show full quote
retrofanatic wrote:

Here:

And also here:

Thanks for the links! Too bad...maybe I should build yet another system for NT 3.51 as well then 🤣 (not likely)

There are drivers for 3dfx Velocity 100/200 (Voodoo3 series) and Windows 3.1x, perhaps that's what you were thinking of?
Windows 3.11 Drivers (Voodoo3 & #9)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 17 of 22, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see how any system running pre-Windows 9x should run Dos 7.1. Dos 7 was purely part of Windows 9x and never released as a separate OS, hence anything before that should be running Dos 6.22 or earlier. It does depend on how you define "ideal" though. And it depends on how accurately the systems should represent different eras.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 18 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote:

I don't see how any system running pre-Windows 9x should run Dos 7.1. Dos 7 was purely part of Windows 9x and never released as a separate OS, hence anything before that should be running Dos 6.22 or earlier. It does depend on how you define "ideal" though. And it depends on how accurately the systems should represent different eras.

You're right, I have not defined "ideal" very clearly, but as you say, it depends how one defines it for themselves....and I hear what you're saying about DOS 6.22, but the main reason I opt for version 7.1 is that it supports FAT32, so I can use large drives on older computers whereas DOS 6.22 does not. I have two 30GB HDD's running DOS 7.1, installed on my 486 and it is just awesome to have all my DOS games loaded on the hard drive, ready to go.

As for accurately representing different eras of computing, it would be nice to have the 'appropriate/typical' O/S installed for each era specific build, but in this case, for some of my more modern DOS systems I am proposing, I believe that DOS is DOS, no matter what version I am using (for the most part).

I think for some very early games, it is nice and sometimes necessary to be using an older DOS version, hence why I specify DOS 3.3 to 5 for some of my older systems I am proposing to build in my OP (i.e. old 286/386 and of course my Tandy TL/2). If I am using a 486 or even a Pentium 166 for old DOS games (for most early Sierra games era and above), I don't think it matters if I am using DOS 7.1 or 6.22, or even version 5 for the most part. Any DOS game I throw at it (if autoexec.bat and config.sys are configured properly) would run fine regardless of which DOS version I would run. Aside from Creative SB 16 driver software, I have not heard of any program or game that works on 6.22 that doesn't work on DOS 7.1. Mind you, I have not tried all of my DOS games out on 7.1, so I am not 100% sure, but so far so good. So I prefer to use 7.1 mostly for the fact that it allows for FAT32 HDD's.

Reply 19 of 22, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the convenience of FAT32 is highly desirable, I have to admit.
Is there really any late era Dos games you can think of that would need anything faster than that Pentium 166mmx btw? I would imagine that would cover you until the latest pure Dos games, then you could go 9x on the faster systems?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.