VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny that you say that because originally, before all this madness came about of me building all these systems, I was planning on building only one retro rig for DOS that would 'do it all' based on a P166MMX (based on this text file that someone put together explaining his experience with trying to build the ultimate all-in-one DOS rig: http://www.jumpjet.info/Application-Software/ … OS/Hardware.txt)...so I thought that yes, I would not need anything faster than a 166MMX, but I found out that there were many games like Carmmagedon, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Warcraft, Starcraft, some later Star Trek adventure games, some flight sims, and a heap load of Glide games as seen in this post:DOS Glide Games List that could benefit from a system based on a faster CPU like a PII or sometimes even a PIII.

I have so much surplus hardware that I could use to build faster systems, so I thought, why not? I really wanted to experience some later DOS games in a fast Voodoo SLI Glide setup on something faster than just a 166MMX.

Initially, I also had only two other systems planned - one for windows XP (main rig) and one for win98SE, but again, I have so much extra hardware, I thought it would be great to just build more than one for each using the various video and sound cards (and CPU's and motherboards) I had laying around.

Reply 21 of 22, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to play Duke Nukem 3D on a Pentium 120MHz at 800x600 back in the days and never really noticed it running poorly, so I don't get how that would need anything faster than a 166mmx at least. I'm sure there are some Glide games that could do with faster, but most of those had Windows 95 executables as well, didn't they?
By the time Pentium II's were commonplace, DOS had long since died out as a gaming platform, so I just don't see how any DOS games would really need anything as fast as that, but I could well be wrong. The fastest system I ever had that I ran native DOS games on was a K6 200MHz (which I ran at 225MHz, 75x3 on an Asus TX97-x), and that for sure could run all the games I ever tried. It lasted me into the Win9x era back then.
Perhaps we're just becoming more picky about framerates and such now than we were back in the days. Or perhaps it's just me 😜

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 22 of 22, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I think you're right...one doesn't need anything faster than a 166 mmx but I think there are some games that are just plain faster (yet still stable) on a faster cpu like a pii so why not run them on a faster system if you can? But if one is limited for space and only has a p166 that's fine, I would just use that but like I mentioned, since I have all this extra hardware lying around its nice to run some games that can handle it at maximum detail and higher frame rates.