VOGONS

IBM PS/1 and Hard drive detection

Topic actions

First post, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The IBM ps/1 has a pretty rudimentary bios . It autodects some hard drives. Does anyone know the hard drive tables it uses?

Reply 1 of 30, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the IBM part numbers for the supported hard drives.

59G9567 1 - 85MB
93F2329 1 - 129MB
93F2363 1 - 170MB
93F0118 1 - 211MB
59G9562 1 - 253MB
59G9564 1 - 340MB

Taken from the PS/1 hardware maintenance manual: http://www.1000bit.it/support/manuali/ibm/ps1 … 911/63g2028.pdf

Reply 3 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the following from Vintage-computers:

I put a 512 MB Disk On Module IDE flash drive in my PS/1 Model 2121 (the 386SX version of the original weirdo proprietary form factor) and it worked perfectly fine -- I didn't even need to change any of the Setup options. The PS/1 automatically detected it and I was able to FDISK and FORMAT it without any problems.

The PS/1 Model 2011 (286 based), however, uses the same proprietary 8-bit "IDE-XT" interface as the PS/2 Models 25 and 30 (8086), which only works with a limited number of drives, usually 20 or 30 MB. It does not work with standard ATA / IDE-AT hard drives.

Reply 4 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PS/1 TYPE 2121 was the first PC that I bought. That was in 1993. I upgraded it with 4Mb of memory and later a Cyrix 486sx chip. I was in Canada that year and in Moncton I had a chance to buy the IBM audio card for it. I bought a SoundBlaster instead, 8-bit I think. When I got home I discovered that I would need the adapter unit with 3 ISA slots to fit the SoundBlaster. I located one here in Ireland.

The PS/1 was loaded with IBM DOS R4.01 and Windows 3.00a and also Works 2. I recently got the 5.25" floppy drive unit that goes under the basic unit.

I've ordered a 256mB DOM and a 512Mb DOM and will report back when I receive them.

Reply 5 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fjk61011 wrote:

The PS/1 TYPE 2121 was the first PC that I bought. That was in 1993. I upgraded it with 4Mb of memory and later a Cyrix 486sx chip. I was in Canada that year and in Moncton I had a chance to buy the IBM audio card for it. I bought a SoundBlaster instead, 8-bit I think. When I got home I discovered that I would need the adapter unit with 3 ISA slots to fit the SoundBlaster. I located one here in Ireland.

The PS/1 was loaded with IBM DOS R4.01 and Windows 3.00a and also Works 2. I recently got the 5.25" floppy drive unit that goes under the basic unit.

I've ordered a 256mB DOM and a 512Mb DOM and will report back when I receive them.

OK, my DOM has arrived. Speedy delivery.

It's 256 Mb. I installed it in the PS/1 and it worked first time. The BIOS showed it as 253MB.

I want the PS/1 to network so I can write disk images to the 5.25" FD with the PS/1. I'm thinking of using DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups on the PS/1 unless someone has a better suggestion.

I also got a 512 MB DOM to use in the 486. I'll try it later

Reply 6 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also got a 512 MB DOM to use in the 486. No success. The DOM is not recognized by the BIOS. I get an error about failure initializing Hard drive 0. Or failure initializing hard drive controller 0.

With a Future Domain IDE controller the DOM is recognized but the system halts after that. Sometimes it boots a Floopy disk to Starting MS-DOS and the hangs.

Reply 7 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the 486 to boot off a floppy and access the DOM 256MB.

I set in the BIOS the hard drive setting to NONE for both drives. Set HALT on errors to none. and used the DOM on the Future Domain controller.

Reply 9 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is indeed. I think it came out after the PS/2.

Mine is a TYPE 2121. 386sx, 2Mb ram, 40 Mb hard drive. . I had to buy an adapter unit to get ISA slots

Reply 10 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I formatted the 512 Mb in the 486 with the /s flag (DOS 6.22). Booting from a floppy I can access the DOM and see the files. However the system won't boot from the DOM.

The SET active flag is set under FDISK. Any ideas?

Reply 11 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try SYS C: from the floppy drive. Format C:/s doesn't always give the desired results. While you're there, FDISK/MBR won't hurt either.

OK. I shall try those.

EDIT: No luck. The DOM doesn't seem to hold the FDISK settings. The set active flag disappears and file system shows unknown. I'll try the DOMs in the PS/1.

EDIT EDIT: I tried the DOM in the PS/1. Then FDISK, FORMAT, SYS, and FDISK /MBR. The PC boots to DOS 6.22.

I'll re-try the DOM in the 486 and see what happens. Coffee first though.

Reply 12 of 30, by fjk61011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update.

I installed the 512MB DOM in the PS/1 and it was recognized in the bios.

Then FDISK, FORMAT, SYS, with Ibm dos 4. I restored DOS 4 from my backup disks and then upgraded to 6.22. I then installed Windows for workgroups.
The Cyrix chip driver was next. Then the TCP/IP driver. I'm now connected to my network

Reply 13 of 30, by invoke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fjk61011 wrote on 2014-04-24, 18:41:
Just an update. […]
Show full quote

Just an update.

I installed the 512MB DOM in the PS/1 and it was recognized in the bios.

Then FDISK, FORMAT, SYS, with Ibm dos 4. I restored DOS 4 from my backup disks and then upgraded to 6.22. I then installed Windows for workgroups.
The Cyrix chip driver was next. Then the TCP/IP driver. I'm now connected to my network

I've got a 2011 with a dead drive and a 2121 with a working drive. I have an IDE CF card reader which I can't get to work in the 2121. Not sure if it's dead or the CF card is too big. The 2121 won't recognise it.

What are these DOMs you are talking about?

Also, what should i use to get a CF card to work in the 2011. It didn't have an ISA slot so can't use the XT-IDE to CF cards you can get on eBay.

Reply 14 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for necroposting, Does anyone know if someone already came up with a some sort of replacement for the proprietary HARD DISK of the 2011 series?
Those 30/40MB drives are getting older and in need of a good rest! I was not able to find any "adapter" or raspi controlled solution yet on the web.

Reply 15 of 30, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 2121 can use IDE drives but not the 2011. There are adapters for the diskette drive (i bought one on ebay from a guy who makes them) but i Don't know of one for the hdd... I believe the same adapter would work for the hdd but i am not sure.

Reply 16 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DoutorHouse wrote on 2023-07-29, 14:53:

The 2121 can use IDE drives but not the 2011. There are adapters for the diskette drive (i bought one on ebay from a guy who makes them) but i Don't know of one for the hdd... I believe the same adapter would work for the hdd but i am not sure.

Thanks for the info dottorhouse, I don't think that adapter is compatible, the two connectors are different as are the protocols.
For the floppy I've made a connector myself using this guide, and pushed further replacing the standard floppy with a gotek (flashfloppy firmware), and works flawlessly.
I fear the moment when the HDD will die.

Reply 17 of 30, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah you are right... They are not compatible, just checked my adapter... Yeah, too bad the 2011 does not support ide... Maybe using the riser card, like the one on the 2121, and another card to use another hdd?
Btw, does your drive have the original software? Been looking for some files for the usa version. I found the uk diskettes but i am looking for the us ones.

Reply 18 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DoutorHouse wrote on 2023-07-29, 16:53:

Ah you are right... They are not compatible, just checked my adapter... Yeah, too bad the 2011 does not support ide... Maybe using the riser card, like the one on the 2121, and another card to use another hdd?
Btw, does your drive have the original software? Been looking for some files for the usa version. I found the uk diskettes but i am looking for the us ones.

Mi system is in italian, but updated over the years into a combination of dos 6.22 and freedos. A little messy but speedy as hell.
Which sw are you searching for exactly? There are some repo out there that can hold what you're searching for.