VOGONS

IBM PS/1 and Hard drive detection

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought the 2121 used non-standard hard drive pinout or different connector? Or is it really IDE interface?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 22 of 30, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some people on vcfed are working on an XTA SSD (both standard XTA = Tandy/Olivetti/Commodore/Segate A-X, and the incompatible IBM PS/1&2 types) 😀

But there's still quite a bit of work left to do, with current knowledge a working HDD is needed and it will be cloned exactly including dead sectors

Reply 23 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-07-29, 19:50:

Some people on vcfed are working on an XTA SSD (both standard XTA = Tandy/Olivetti/Commodore/Segate A-X, and the incompatible IBM PS/1&2 types) 😀

But there's still quite a bit of work left to do, with current knowledge a working HDD is needed and it will be cloned exactly including dead sectors

That's a very promising news! could you pleas e link the discussion?
I've followed the spanish user nestor that did some serious mod on the PS/1.

Reply 24 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-07-29, 17:34:

I thought the 2121 used non-standard hard drive pinout or different connector? Or is it really IDE interface?

Cheers,

yes, I own a ps/1 2121 386 also and the mod is straightforword, just put a CF-IDE adapter and the bios will recognize a very convenient 512MB Hard drive.

Reply 25 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Such a thing is always welcome.. ^^

But please keep in mind that AT-Bus, if possible, often is the better alternative;
has better performance (16-bit), more features (IDE auto-detect), has matured over the years etc.

Edit: That being said, I don't mean to discourage anybody working on XT-IDE/8-Bit IDE.
There are occasions were interesting PCs have on-board IDE (8-Bit) and one PC slot or ISA slot.
Here, it would be a waste not to try to make use of that on-board interface. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 30, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fjk61011 wrote on 2014-04-12, 11:34:

I got the following from Vintage-computers:

I put a 512 MB Disk On Module IDE flash drive in my PS/1 Model 2121 (the 386SX version of the original weirdo proprietary form factor) and it worked perfectly fine -- I didn't even need to change any of the Setup options. The PS/1 automatically detected it and I was able to FDISK and FORMAT it without any problems.

The PS/1 Model 2011 (286 based), however, uses the same proprietary 8-bit "IDE-XT" interface as the PS/2 Models 25 and 30 (8086), which only works with a limited number of drives, usually 20 or 30 MB. It does not work with standard ATA / IDE-AT hard drives.

It MIGHT however, work with a CompactFlash module on an adapter! Those (fairly frequently) have the 8bit IO mode needed!

Reply 27 of 30, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here it is, @theruler :
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/8-b … roject.1224016/
Don't buy anything based on what you see, the hardware is not final yet 😀

Reply 28 of 30, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theruler wrote on 2023-07-30, 09:03:

Cheers,

yes, I own a ps/1 2121 386 also and the mod is straightforword, just put a CF-IDE adapter and the bios will recognize a very convenient 512MB Hard drive.

Please cite the information about creating IDE adapter so I could find and read on this?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 29 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-07-30, 13:40:
theruler wrote on 2023-07-30, 09:03:

Cheers,

Please cite the information about creating IDE adapter so I could find and read on this?

Cheers,

Persdico Compact Flash CF To 3.5 Female 40 Pin IDE Bootable Adapter Converter Card Standard IDE Interface True-IDE Mode https://amzn.eu/d/bFufS9c

The ide interface on the 2121 is standard

Reply 30 of 30, by theruler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-07-30, 10:18:

Here it is, @theruler :
https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/8-b … roject.1224016/
Don't buy anything based on what you see, the hardware is not final yet 😀

Yeah! Thanks Ryccardo!