VOGONS

First post, by XanderK9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people! I may need some assistance.

I have recently acquired a PNY Verto TNT2 M64 pci card to replace my ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo, but I'm having trouble with drivers in Windows 98se.

For starters, I tried the latest drivers from NVIDIA, but didn't work (it wouldn't load any 3D applications and couldn't even start the direct3D tests of dxdiag). I then followed suggestions in the forum about using old Detonator drivers, which improved the situation, but performance seemed to be similar to my ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo and 3D Rage II+DVD. I have being attempting to find PNY drivers of that card, but no luck this far.

Is anyone have ever experience with this card? Either ways, is there a specific version of the drivers you may suggest? My system have a Voodoo 2 card installed (I made sure the game use the TNT2 and not the Voodoo card), an AMD K6-2 400Mhz and 128mb of Ram.

Thank you in advance.

Reply 2 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I highly doubt there's "PNY drivers" - the drivers from nVidia are correct (nVidia builds the chips, and writes the drivers).

As far as the performance, what did you expect? They're pretty much 1:1 on the core and the Rage has more memory bandwidth; M64 is the lowest-end of the TNT2s ("M64" referencing the 64-bit memory bus - standard TNT2s have a 128-bit bus) while the Rage Pro was among ATi's best at the time. Here's an Xbit comparison with the Rage Pro and TNT2 Ultra (which is the fastest TNT2):
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/dis … ti-furypro.html
And an Anandtech article about the M64 specifically:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/393

Sounds like everything is working fine to me if you aren't getting lock-ups or crashes; it just isn't that powerful of a card. 😊

Reply 4 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're looking to improve performance I'd look at one of the later Voodoo cards, or an early GeForce/Radeon - you should be able to find examples of at least most of those on both PCI and AGP. I'd expect the K6 to become a limiting factor after a point though.

Reply 5 of 9, by XanderK9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that was my original idea (mainly for Voodoo cards), but the pci models are hard to come by, especially with a decent price. I also needed a card that have good compatibilty with dos gams, so that's one of the reasons why I ended up with this card as well.

The others solutions would be to add another Voodoo 2 and SLI it (wich may be hard to do on a baby AT motherboard) or replace my motherboard with another that have an AGP slot. I believe the second solution would be much simpler (added to the fact I may be able to run my processor to 500 MHz instead of downclocking it) and may be more cost-effective, after all .

Reply 7 of 9, by XanderK9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

I highly doubt there's "PNY drivers" - the drivers from nVidia are correct

There are they are called verto drivers

Which I believe it would have worked the same as NVIDIA drivers, after all. I wrote the original post quite hastily as I was preparing myself for work, so I haven't checked if it made sense or not.

Anyway, now that I'm back home and took time to reread the post and articles, I realized that we are not talking about the same card at all because this article is about the Rage 128 Pro and the one I have is the 3D Rage Pro Turbo (which is mainly a rebranded 3D Rage Pro), which is from a totally different generation. I meant this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage#3D_Rage_Pro

Last edited by XanderK9 on 2014-04-18, 03:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
XanderK9 wrote:
Davros wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

I highly doubt there's "PNY drivers" - the drivers from nVidia are correct

There are they are called verto drivers

Which I believe it would have worked the same as NVIDIA drivers, after all. I wrote the original post quite hastily as I was preparing myself for work, so I haven't checked if it made sense or not.

Anyway, now that I'm back home and took time to reread the post and articles, I realized that we are not talking about the same card at all because this article is about the Rage 128 Pro and the one I have is the 3D Rage Pro Turbo (which is mainly a rebranded 3D Rage Pro), which is from a totally different generation.

Gotcha on the card - 😀.

And yes, some AIBs would release "modified drivers" (they usually fail WHQL check too) built-up from the nVidia/ATi OEM drivers; whether or not they offer increased performance or compatibility is highly variable (and in some cases they break more than they help, at least IME).

As far as the TNT2 M64's performance - it still won't be stellar (in some (many?) situations you should still expect the Voodoo2 to be competitive or faster), but it should probably edge an original Rage/Rage II card; can you test it out in another system (ideally with a faster CPU)?

Reply 9 of 9, by XanderK9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: I don't have another system to try it, unfortunately. I do not expect to have a huge boost in performance, just that it at least perform better than the previous card.

I must have done something wrong somewhere because if I check benchmark results and videos of system with similar specs (and even less powerful), some had better results than what I had. Example: if I take System Shock 2 (I know I can play that in my main system, but that's for testing purpose), one was having somewhat smoother gameplay with a Pentium MMX 233 and a Voodoo 1 card. I can't seem to replicate such performance with either the TNT2 M64 and the Voodoo 2.

Anyway, I'll double check to make sure I have everything properly configured.

EDIT2: I'll probably keep it that way for the moment and get used to it until find better parts. On second thought, I would prefer to keep the motherboard for nostalgia's sake since it's the same model I had in my very first computer (it's a PC-Chips M571). I am aware it's not that great, but I'm fine with it as long it play games that my main computer cannot.

Getting a Voodoo 3 2000 card or better on ebay have being out of the question for a couple of months (at least for me because the only ones I have found this far was a 3 2000 for 200$ and a 5 5500 for 500$). Getting either a Geforce or an Radeon card seems to be the obvious alternative, just as long it's working well with DOS games.