VOGONS

Reply 221 of 334, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww they look awesome 😀 Well done!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 223 of 334, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I must say, although they aren't for me, there is something about having a few ready-to-go 486 PCs at home 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 225 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

That is awesome! Feel like posting your templates?

Sure - here's a zip of them. A few variations on the Cyrix 5x86, the AMD Am5x86 and a Intel DX4 badge. These were a (VERY) rough, quick mockup in Photoshop and they were somewhat pixelated at the original size. However, when shrunk to 25mm x 25mm, it's not as evident.

Attachments

• Filename
    Case Badges.zip
    File size
    21.54 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 226 of 334, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys for the last couple of pages lots of good info!

So its safe to assume the AM5X86@160 edges the Cyrix 5x86@120 for gaming? I found it suprising that the AMD scored higher than the Cyrix in Quake I would think its also safe to assume the AMD would score better for most games in that case.

Reply 228 of 334, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

So its safe to assume the AM5X86@160 edges the Cyrix 5x86@120 for gaming? I found it suprising that the AMD scored higher than the Cyrix in Quake I would think its also safe to assume the AMD would score better for most games in that case.

With both run on the Biostar board, X5-160 15.1 fps in Quake (but noted not stable). Cyrix 5x86-120 14.8 fps in Quake (but stable?)

Artex, perhaps you could run the Cyrix 5x86-120 in your VLB board to compare it with the X5-160?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 229 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Artex, perhaps you could run the Cyrix 5x86-120 in your VLB board to compare it with the X5-160?

I can try this if I have time.

Now that these two builds are set up, I think I'm going to start adding sound cards, network cards, etc to get them 'more' set up. I also want to get that Saturn board up and running - I'd hate to have it sit there not being used. I'll probably throw my DX4 WB in there..

I need to track down another power supply as well - not sure I want to get a 'new' AT power supply or try to find an ATX with -5V and use a converter.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 231 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

What were your symptoms of instability with the X5-160 in the Biostar board?

I was able to get it working (and stable) at 133Mhz and 160Mhz.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 233 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Sorry, got lost in the posts. Do you have a high resolution image of the Saturn II board?

No worries! This thread has become quite massive. I'll grab a new picture for you tonight with a better camera.

EDIT: Picture attached

Attachments

• Filename
    DSC01457_1.jpg
    File size
    3.02 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 234 of 334, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MX8315 for generating the FSB. This chip will generate 20, 25, 33, 40, 50, 60, and 66 MHz FSBs from your 14.31818 MHz crystal. There are 3 inputs on the MX8315 which select the FSB. I suspect that if you solder in the missing jumper header, JP19, that you should have access to the full spectrum of FSBs.

Reply 235 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

MX8315 for generating the FSB. This chip will generate 20, 25, 33, 40, 50, 60, and 66 MHz FSBs from your 14.31818 MHz crystal. There are 3 inputs on the MX8315 which select the FSB. I suspect that if you solder in the missing jumper header, JP19, that you should have access to the full spectrum of FSBs.

So... one of these puppies?

IMG_2499_800.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 236 of 334, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's right. And you can use one of these puppies to suck out the old solder.

solder_sucker.jpg
Filename
solder_sucker.jpg
File size
17.2 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 237 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool - I have one of those already. I'll see if I can source that header and see what I can do.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 238 of 334, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could desolder that header from a dead motherboard. Even if you have a 4+ pin header, they are meant to snap to reduce in size.

Reply 239 of 334, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

You could desolder that header from a dead motherboard. Even if you have a 4+ pin header, they are meant to snap to reduce in size.

Good idea. I'll see what I can find. I'm kind of a novice at soldering so it makes me a little nervous. I've really only de-soldered to remove barrel batteries.

LihnlZ.jpg