VOGONS

586 Machine :)

Topic actions

First post, by SondejCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i am student [17] from Czech republic.I want put together old 586 machine, where i can browse the internet, listen to music, play old games...I want to install Windows 98SE on it.I am going to use Biostar MB-8433UUD-A, AMD 5x86-133MHZ (ADZ)>>>@200?[180?]MHz, 3Dfx Voodoo2 SLI 12Mb, 128Mb RAM memory, PCI USB controller, ISA 3COM 3C509C ETHERLINK III and some audio ISA card.Is there anyone, who can sell me that motherboard and 3Dfx Voodoo2 cards?On my MB-8433UUD-A isnt working PS/2 and COM port 🙁( Is there anyone, who can tell me no-writed jumper settings of that cpu frequency??Will be better for that PC 180 or 200MHz speed??Please help me 😀 I am beginner only 😊 Thank you all... 😀 [Sorry for my english 😒]

Reply 1 of 38, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are much better off with a Slot 1 Intel BX440 chipset board for such a project 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 38, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you probably want something newer as Mau1wurf1977 says. You are expecting far too much from 486 / 5x86 systems. They are not even remotely fast enough for Voodoo2 SLI or the games you probably want to play with those.

Reply 3 of 38, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as others have said, that kind of CPU is just too slow of V2 SLI , heck I wouldn't put a V1 with it, the kind of games that would do those cards justice are ones that typically need a higher end Pentium at least, for a V2 SLI I would actually go with something closer to a 400Mhz PII for instance.

with a 586 and such youre looking more into games like Doom , Dark Forces, the DOS version of Command & Conquer , etc.

Reply 4 of 38, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to point out that he wants to go onto the internet with that machine and Win98SE!

That makes a whole lot more bells ring, whistles blow and warning lights flash than wanting to use a Voodoo 2 with it!

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 38, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

I would like to point out that he wants to go onto the internet with that machine and Win98SE!

That makes a whole lot more bells ring, whistles blow and warning lights flash than wanting to use a Voodoo 2 with it!

How I feel overall:
exploding-computer-o.gif

Reply 6 of 38, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well he wont find an motherboard fit for all that, but still, he wants to try something that he finds fun and exciting 😀
Personally i don't see why shouldn't he try something whack and see it doesn't work well.

To use AMD 5x86 and Voodoo you need an PCI motherboard with Socket 3. It is fairly easy to find an Socket 3 motherboard with PCI, but that processor is pretty rare.
Most, if not all, Socket 3 mother boards have a maximum RAM limit of 128 MB. Most boards use Fast Page Memory.
As i read, the most compatible USB controller are NEC PCI USB 2.0 controllers.
But, if you are going to use TWO Voodoo 2 cards, you will need 4 PCI slots to host 2D Video Adapter and PCI USB. And i never saw na 4x PCI Socket 3 board.
Going to the Internet will be extremely limited, but possible to some degree.

Pretty much you can make your crazy machine, but it would be better to listen to what others suggested and go for something newer 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 7 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had luck with a single Voodoo2 in a AM5x86.. it's not fast, but some rather integery games do benefit from its use, like activision simulators that have slow software renderers that have cache issues.

but don't expect Unreal to work on it playably. If you really want V2 SLI power, get a Pentium 3 or an Athlon and not a 486 class machine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 38, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I put a Voodoo3 into a tweaked out 5x86 160MHz setup years ago. It managed about 15 FPS with simple 'ol Jedi Knight. Zoom.

Maybe something like the Shadow Warrior 3dfx blur edition would run at a nice pace. But I am skeptical.

Reply 9 of 38, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
How I feel overall: http://109.imagebam.com/download/uUiuCWQoyLO85AntxmPI1w/32269/322681579/exploding-computer-o.gif […]
Show full quote
NitroX infinity wrote:

How I feel overall:
exploding-computer-o.gif

🤣

I'd agree, go with something newer for the Voodoo2, and if the goal is to get online either go with an up-to-date Windows version (Vista or newer) or something else that's updated (like your favorite Linux distro); web browsing will probably require a much newer machine if you want to engage in heavy multimedia activities.

Reply 10 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Maybe something like the Shadow Warrior 3dfx blur edition would run at a nice pace. But I am skeptical.

Not even that. I've always had that run slow for me, and it's really very still much a software renderer with the spans piped through the Voodoo - not the most efficient way to do it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even an S3 Virge would be more than enough for that system. You probably won't need a 3D accelerator at all, for that matter. Games that require a 3D accelerator won't run well on a 486 motherboard, even a later one with a fast CPU. You really need to step up to a socket 5/7 Pentium for those kinds of games. S3 is the way to go, though, because of best compatibility with more games.

Reply 12 of 38, by SondejCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all comments :)Can i use this Videocard??: http://aukro.cz/historicka-graficka-karta-s3- … 4178548136.html ?Or this: http://aukro.cz/3dfx-interactive-voodoo-i4093028205.html ??Thanks for all! 😀 [or this? : http://aukro.cz/funkcni-3dfx-voodoo-rush-pci- … 4182848278.html ] 😁

Reply 14 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Believe me, your surfing experience would be pretty screwed up. You really need a Pentium 4 to surf heavy sites with acceptable speed. Even a Pentium 3 with Direct3D accelerator is too slow. 5x86 surfing with no accelerator other than Voodoo2 will probably be only worthy for showing off but not for comfortable surfing.

When I started downgrading (it was some 1,5 years ago) I also was full of thoughts like 'I will show them my great rig and they will praise and worship me', but I failed horribly due to complete lack of any experience.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 17 of 38, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of sound cards, if you aren't that deep into ISA sound, you may want to get yourself a Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ($30-$40)- a versatile ISA card compatible with DOS games, whilst having a high quality output you'd need for listening music.

Other possible choice is Terratec EWS64XL (€30-€40, they mostly appear in Germany), which is trickier to set up, but more versatile.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 18 of 38, by SondejCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have problem with my MB I dont have functional ps/2 and COM port [MB-8433UUD-A].In windows i dont have functional all sounds [only videosound is functional]-Whats the problem??? D: