VOGONS

First post, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I've been putting off building a retro rig for a few years now. My last one was crushed in a moving debacle. So I started buying parts the past couple of days (and blew a nice chunk of my budget on a CM64 that just popped up on ebay when looking for other items, 🤣), but I cant believe just how much I have forgotten about when it comes to vintage hardware. After hours of racking my brain about what the best mobo & CPU should be for a 90's style time machine, I went and bought a Asus P2B-F board.

I figure that with UDMA-33 workarounds it should make a decent DOS/Win 98 rig if I want to put in some larger HDD's. But to be honest, I really cant remember a lot about late 90's hardware and was wondering what you guy's have to say about it. Is a 450MHz PII going to cause problems in DOS, how about 1GB of PC133 RAM? And yes, the rig will mainly (I'd say about 70% of the time) be in DOS native and either dual boot or swap drives in an open chassis for Win 98. I have several sound cards and video cards to swap in and out depending on what I feel like playing. On the video card fron, I have a Geforce 256 AGP, Diamond TNT PCI with Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1, two 12MB Voodoo 2 cards for SLI and of course a couple of those damn S3 ViRGE 3D decelerator's (which I NEVER plan to use). On the audio front, I have an Audigy Live and a 2 ZS, SB32 CT3670 ( I have 4 working 16MB 30 pin SIMM's so I guess I could max out the ram to 28MB on this baby), a Yamaha XG based ISA card, an Ensoniq Soundscape S-2000, and a Turtle Beach Vortex 2 PCI card. I also have some giant conglomo sound card with EVERYTHING on it. I will edit this post and try to stick on a photo of it later. I also have some other unnamed sound card with a wavetable board of some sort on it, and no its not a GS based board, but some Crystal chip board. I'll try to toss in some pics of that as well. Maybe you guys can give me some clue as to what they are. I need to get a Sound Blaster Pro 2, but those seem to have become kinda rare now days and pricy.

For MIDI, I will use a Music Quest MIDI Interface and my external modules. I was going to use a PAS with SCSI port to drive a Reno CD-ROM drive, but the drives bearings went out. I'll have to look into fixing it. Its like the NEC TurboGrafx/PC Engine kinda thing, if I guess correctly. So how does this setup sounds so for?

So here are the pics. They are a bit large, but I couldn't shrink them and show chip detail.

Filename
Conglomo Card.jpg
File size
4.16 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Conglomo Card
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
Wavetable Board.jpg
File size
4.57 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Wavetable Board
File license
Filename
Generic Sound Card.jpg
File size
3.03 MiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Generic Sound Card
File license

Any help in identifying these boards would be much appreciated. Unless somebody knows that they are worth it, I doubt I will use them. They will just rest forever in the bottom of a vintage scrapheap, 🤣. By the way, Conglomo Card is just over 13 1/2" long and seems to have 3 proprietary, and 1 IDE interface for CD-ROM drives, Modem (unkown speed), wavetable header, joystick and I assume it doubles as a 401 port.

Last edited by Kodai on 2014-04-26, 08:26. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For games that take advantage of the Roland CM-64, that PC is too fast. It's better suited for late DOS games like Doom, System Shock, Screamer, Duke 3D.

For older games like Wing Commander, Space Quest, Kings Quest a Pentium / MMX system is the way to go. Then disable the caches in the BIOS and you have a 386.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I managed to dig out some information on the generic sound card and wavetable board. Seems as though they were only installed in IBM Aptiva computers. Here is some info I gathered up to help anybody else that gets these things. On a side note, I love how its listed as being a GM and MT-32 board with 1MB rom. ROFLMAO at that. I've edited the text as it went through google translate from Japanese to English and a few comments didn't sound quite right.

IBM Aptiva S-W1 / C
Equipped with chip Crystal CS9233
The number of the tones 343 tone
Number of voices 32 tone
ROM capacity 1MB
Support standard GM, MT-32
Sound Card Remarks : It is attached to an ISA sound card in the "S-16WP1-L" OEM source GVC Corporation
Wavetable Remarks : It is a daughter board that, comes with an ISA sound card of junk.

Comments:
Daughter board that comes with ISA sound card built-in IBM Aptiva in the "S-16WP1-L" originally, daughter board itself is an OEM product of GVC Corporation.
Because it is a standard spec CS9233 equipped Crystal daughter board in tone, it does not have much difference to other Crystal CS9233 equipped daughter boards.

Windows drivers are called : w95us272.zip

Further Info can be found here:
http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/drivers/crystal/index.html
and
http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/drivers/crystal/readme.html

***EDIT***
I'm still looking for any info on giant Conglomo Card.

***EDIT***
Got it! Conglomo Cards real name is : Boca Research Sound Expression

I found a bunch of info about it including drivers and PDF manuals. All in all, the specs are pretty nice. Sound Blaster Pro compatible with OPL3 chip, 16 bit Stero at 44.1 KHz, junky 14.4 modem and fax but full duplex speaker phone ability, standard mpu-401 and wavetable header, and the CD4231 chip is supposed to be one of the best sounding Crystal chips out there. I wont have my vintage rig up and going for months, so I'll come back and report on how well it works later. I have high hopes, 🤣.

Reply 5 of 6, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like what you want to do is similar to what I've done. Here are the specs of mine, It's not the perfect solution, but it works well for me and may give you some ideas.
I have 2 very similar machines, but with different CPU's

CPU: Pentium 2 400MHz/Pentium 3 450MHz Slot 1
RAM: 256MB (There's no need for more than that)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-6BXC (Latest Bios)
Graphics: 32MB AGP TNT2 M64 (Ideally wanted a Regular TNT2 128-Bit)
Expansion Cards: 10/100 Lan Card; VT6421A SATA Card
Hard Drives: 2x 80GB IDE 1x 500GB SATA
Optical Drive: IDE DVD/CD Drive
Sound Cards: Sound Blaster AWE64 and PCI128 (Bridged Outputs)

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 6 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apart from the sound card layouts, the chips on them are very common. This is what is written in my ISA soundcard overview document:

Conglomo Card:
82C929 MAD16 Pro - Controller, SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, M-CD.
CS4231(A) - Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex.
Yamaha OPL3 FM.
There is a modem on there too.

Wavetable Board:
SAM9233 - Integrated Wavetable music synthesizer, DSP, 18-bit, MPU-401, Reverb+chorus, GM/GS.
Seems like a basic 1MB ROM patch set. There are also boards with 2MB or 4MB, with additional signal generator.

Generic Sound Card:
CS4236 - Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone.
In general the OPL3 clone of this one is not appreciated. Great chip otherwise.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul