VOGONS


Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator

What cards have you guys used that work reliably on old boards? I have a card with a VIA controller and it isn't even detected by 440BX or AMD 750. It does work on newer chipsets like KT266 though.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-01-31, 13:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 68, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

What cards have you guys used that work reliably on old boards? I have a card with a VIA controller and it isn't even detected by 440BX or AMD 750. It does work on newer chipsets like KT266 though.

I am surprised even on my 486 board both opti 82c261 and VIA vt83c572 are both picked up. I cannot verify functionality because Win95 has terrible USB support
but once I upgrade the RAM I can test it. A P2/P3 era chipset should have no problems with USB cards

Reply 2 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back when I tested usb2.0 cards on my ss7 machine I had better luck with ALi cards... Opti were OK too.
VIA ones were a hit-and-miss and NEC cards (that are supposed to be quality ones) never worked on my ss7 machine

🎵 PCMIDI mpu site buy+info
🎧 WIP Orpheus soundcard site
💻 WTB Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 system

Reply 3 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The onboard USB ports always worked well with Windows 98 SE.

What is the benefit of using USB card? Do they work in Windows 95?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 68, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The onboard USB ports always worked well with Windows 98 SE.

What is the benefit of using USB card? Do they work in Windows 95?

- Upgrade USB 1.x computers to USB 2.0.
- Having more USB ports available
- Some firewire cards are firewire/USB combo cards, so people using firewire may want to have the USB part working.

I had some VIA based USB and USB/firewire cards. They were reliable, but keep in mind that you must install the VIA drivers always (even on XP).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 68, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

What cards have you guys used that work reliably on old boards? I have a card with a VIA controller and it isn't even detected by 440BX or AMD 750. It does work on newer chipsets like KT266 though.

You need a card with NEC chip, not VIA. Some old computers refused to boot with the card installed and some others didn't recognise the card at all. 😊
I bought 3 different VIA based pci cards from ebay before finding out...

Retro1: K6-2+ 550MHz | FIC PA-2013 ss7 | S3 Savage4LT 8MB AGP | 2x Voodoo2 SLi PCI | SB Pro2 ISA | 83GB HDDs | DOS 6.22 & Win98SE
Retro2: E6500K | AsRock 775i65G | Radeon HD3850 512MB AGP | SB Audigy 2ZS | 1500GB HDDs | WinXP & Vista

Reply 7 of 68, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would also have preferred a NEC branded PCI USB 2.0 card, but back then I got a VIA model.
It always worked fine on a Soyo i440BX motherboard though, with windows 98 SE installed. Chipset is VIA VT6212L. PCB date is Week 32 2007.
Updating the MP3 player got a lot faster.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator

I just want to use it for storage. USB 1.1 is so slow. Can you guys post photos of your cards that do work on 1997-1999 boards?

The card that I have is some ultra cheapie with a VIA VT6212L but it simply doesn't work on chipsets before 2000-2001. My guess is the controller isn't the problem, the card's construction is.

Attachments

  • IMG_4247.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4247.jpg
    File size
    159.99 KiB
    Views
    3611 views
    File comment
    Does Not Work with 440BX or AMD 750
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 68, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just buy an ultra cheapie card from ebay that is guaranteed to have a nec chip. 😀

Retro1: K6-2+ 550MHz | FIC PA-2013 ss7 | S3 Savage4LT 8MB AGP | 2x Voodoo2 SLi PCI | SB Pro2 ISA | 83GB HDDs | DOS 6.22 & Win98SE
Retro2: E6500K | AsRock 775i65G | Radeon HD3850 512MB AGP | SB Audigy 2ZS | 1500GB HDDs | WinXP & Vista

Reply 10 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator

I thought the problem might be PCI 2.2 requirement but AMD 751 supports PCI 2.2. 440BX is definitely PCI 2.1 however.

The NEC cards seem to specify PCI 2.1 support so I will grab one of those and try it.

Reply 11 of 68, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the one I was talking about, Which served me well when attached to a SY-6BA+III i440BX Motherboard.
A totally unremarkable piece of hardware...

Attachments

  • VIA_USB20_Sweex.jpg
    Filename
    VIA_USB20_Sweex.jpg
    File size
    78.28 KiB
    Views
    3595 views
    File comment
    USB 2.0 PCI card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 68, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

This is the one I was talking about, Which served me well when attached to a SY-6BA+III i440BX Motherboard.
A totally unremarkable piece of hardware...

It's an old design, probably it was still compatible with PCI 2.1 back then.

Retro1: K6-2+ 550MHz | FIC PA-2013 ss7 | S3 Savage4LT 8MB AGP | 2x Voodoo2 SLi PCI | SB Pro2 ISA | 83GB HDDs | DOS 6.22 & Win98SE
Retro2: E6500K | AsRock 775i65G | Radeon HD3850 512MB AGP | SB Audigy 2ZS | 1500GB HDDs | WinXP & Vista

Reply 13 of 68, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have at least 4 cards with different controllers but no drivers - would have to search for them online.

If you want, I can test them tomorrow just tell me which platform you want me to try them on 😀

eq1d3f.png
b15z33-2.png

Reply 14 of 68, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEC-4-1-port-PCI-High- … e332274e&_uhb=1

I have had the best luck with NEC-based USB 2.0 cards on 440BX. Mine look like the one in this ebay link.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 15 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator
Half-Saint wrote:

I have at least 4 cards with different controllers but no drivers - would have to search for them online.

If you want, I can test them tomorrow just tell me which platform you want me to try them on 😀

Any boards from 1999 or earlier. I am using an Abit 440BX board and a ASUS AMD 750 board.

Reply 16 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator
feipoa wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEC-4-1-port-PCI-High- … e332274e&_uhb=1

I have had the best luck with NEC-based USB 2.0 cards on 440BX. Mine look like the one in this ebay link.

I've ordered a Belkin card with a NEC chip. It claims PCI 2.1 support so hopefully it will work.

Reply 18 of 68, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
swaaye wrote:

I just want to use it for storage. USB 1.1 is so slow. Can you guys post photos of your cards that do work on 1997-1999 boards?

The card that I have is some ultra cheapie with a VIA VT6212L but it simply doesn't work on chipsets before 2000-2001. My guess is the controller isn't the problem, the card's construction is.

I have exactly the same card. Working without problems on Intel SE440BX-2 (third slot - counting from AGP). System is Windows 98SE
Driver from here: http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4MB /TVGA9000C /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16MB /TGUI9440 /YMF718+GUS
3) i430HX /P233MMX /64MB /VirgeDX+3DFX /YMF701
4) i440BX /P II 400 /128MB /MX440SE /SBLive!+Vibra16s
5) i865G /E5800 /2GB /Ti4200 /YMF724

Reply 19 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Moderator
zyga64 wrote:

I have exactly the same card. Working without problems on Intel SE440BX-2 (third slot - counting from AGP). System is Windows 98SE
Driver from here: http://download.viatech.com/DownloadDriverSvl?driver_id=2105

Interesting. I couldn't get either board I tested it on to even detect that the card was installed. I did try every PCI slot too. Maybe the card is broken.

The thing is - in the past I had another one of these and I remember having this problem then too. But it worked ok in a KT266A board that I had at the time.