VOGONS

Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 308, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a generic nec usb 2.0 on my pentium mmx 233
the only thing I hate is the huge use of processor when there's a storage on it 😳
Like on quake 2, without nothing on usb 2.9 i get 40fps, with a flash memory on it, I get 27fps 😳 (and the same flash memory on the onboard usb 1.1 drops only 0.1 fps, so it'll be almost 40fps 😳)

I don't know the why flash memory eats alot of cpu D:

PS:I'm using windows 98SE

Reply 44 of 308, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ALi chip I was talking about (actually Nvidia in my card) is the M5213-A1 with 5 ports (4 external, one internal).
Avoid it, my Ali Alladdin V motherboard (GA-5AX) had issues with it, I never got it to work. It might work properly on 440BX boards, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reply 46 of 308, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:
Logistics wrote:

Since 98SE introduced ACPI, I bet that is a possible problem. You can Google how to disable ACPI in 98SE and see if it helps.

Why would ACPI cause a problem?

Some motherboards had flawed ACPI implementations that caused strange problems and instability. It has been awhile since I've run into it though. ACPI usually works ok. 98SE will actually detect many problematic BIOSs and switch to APM mode during initial setup.

Reply 47 of 308, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I messed around with that VIA VT6212L card some more last night (photo on page 1). It turns out that with the ASUS K7M (AMD 751 + VIA 686A) it is detected in some PCI slots, but other cards don't always get along with it and can cause it to not be detected. And, even as the only PCI card installed, it locks up Windows when I try to plug a USB device into it. I also had a Windows protection error on one boot up. I get the feeling that it is doing evil things to PCI.

So that card is going into the recycle bin and I await the arrival of the NEC-based card.

This actually reminds me of a VIA chipset Pentium 4 3.2GHz S478 machine I loaded Win98SE to. The board (MSI) was Win98 compatible and drivers for Win98 were available for download on their website as well. Everything worked fine until I installed the USB2.0 Drivers. After rebooting I was greeted with a Windows protection fault. The same board works great on Windows XP or even Windows 7.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 48 of 308, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any known problems with VIA chips and i815EP chipsets? I wanna get a USB 2.0 adapter for my PIII system, just for file transfer via USB stick and such, and it does seem like a lot of the cheapo ebay USB 2.0 adapters are VIA based.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 49 of 308, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Couldn't seem to get it (VT6212L Card) to work in my Compaq Despro ENS which is an 815 chipset.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 51 of 308, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the other end of the spectrum, I can confirm that a VT6212 based USB 2.0 card(local manufacturer and dead cheap) didn't exhibit any problem on my VIA chipset based mainboard.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 52 of 308, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little off topic. I use VIA VT6421A PCI SATA/IDE controllers in 440BX motherboards. I've had no issues at all as long as I use the old V3.10 drivers in Windows 98SE.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 54 of 308, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some PCI cards are known not to work due to absence of +3.3v rail on PCI slots. If using ATX power supply, this can be fixed easily

I know for sure that my VT6202 card doesn't need 3.3v since it is working on my 486 board.
USB optical scroll mouse is great!

the only thing I hate is the huge use of processor when there's a storage on it

I can confirm huge CPU usage with USB drives so I unplug them when doing anything CPU intensive

Reply 55 of 308, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a VT6212 based USB 2.0 card on a 440BX motherboard (running win98SE). And as far as i remember, i solved the issues by somewhat half-installing the card, and it worked flawlessly as usb1.1. Constant 900-1000KB/s speed, with no problems. And i was able to repeat this with every system reinstall i did.
USB v1.1 better than no USB 😜

I don't quite remember the details.. but for anyone who cares: the symptom was that it would kinda lock up when i inserted an USB stick (also using "nusb36e.exe").
So IIRC, i uninstalled part of the driver from device manager (there ar 2 parts/devices iirc).
And the driver i used, was one of these two (don't remember which, so i'ma upload them both)

Attachments

• Filename
    via usb.part3.rar
    File size
    3.3 MiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    via usb.part2.rar
    File size
    5 MiB
    Downloads
    101 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    via usb.part1.rar
    File size
    5 MiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File license

Reply 56 of 308, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll keep this thread open. Likely what we need to do is consolidate repeated information to a sticky post.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 58 of 308, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had completely opposite experience with VIA based USB cards compared to most experiences I read here. They have been completely rock solid on any board I have used with, no sort of headaches of any sort, at least on Win98SE and things from socket7 to PIII boards.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜