Rank

Hi

I recently purchased this off ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390471449593?ssPage … 984.m1439.l2649

(PCMCIA USB2.0 Cardbus)

I was going to use this YSB card with the NUSB36 drivers from this link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus … drivers/page-30

(scroll at the bottom)

The problem i have is that when i installed NUSB36 drivers (and the windows ones after) the microsoft sidewinder controller that i wanted to use with this doesnt work correctly (it is recognised fine but the d pad movement goes crazy!) and when i goto eject the PCMCIA usb card itself the Windows OS freezes and crashes.

Now i got told that i was only meant to install the NUSB drivers ONLY but for some reason Windows installed the windows drivers for this card automatically!!! So i have no control over this!!! 😖 Whats worse is that if i dont install the NUSB drivers and just install the drivers from the windows 98 cd then i get the same problems as before when i come to eject the pcmcia usb card!!! 😖 (havent tried the controller this way but i doubt it will be recognised anyway)

can anyone help me?!

Reply 3 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but I don't see how NUSB can help you with that. NUSB add massive storage device drivers to Windows 98, but it doesn't add HID support. You should be using the Microssoft Sidewinder drivers, and also the USB card drivers (although some cards are detected by Windows, often Microsoft drivers are not as good as the drivers from the manufacturer).

Also, in some operating systems, the PC card must be stopped before ejecting. Maybe the USB card drivers or the PCMCIA chipset drivers include some kind of utility for that.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 6, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Loops forgot to mention that I of course eject the card within windows before actually physically ejecting the card itself! I get a message giving the go ahead in actually physically ejecting the card but maybe the USB is still being accessed or something! 😖

Didn't know about the NUSB not adding HID support but the USB Microsoft Sidewinder controller doesn't need any software drivers as you just configure it within device manager, and DOS Doom recognises it just fine.

But I might try out the actual drivers for this card maybe that ll help. Anyway know where I can download them (Iactually ddidn't get the driver CD)

Regards

Reply 5 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Didn't know about the NUSB not adding HID support but the USB Microsoft Sidewinder controller doesn't need any software drivers as you just configure it within device manager, and DOS Doom recognises it just fine.

Most HID devices will work with generic drivers supplied with windows, but they'll still need their own drivers for some "advanced" capabilities (i.e.: force feedback). I don't know about Microsoft Sidewinder, but I would try to get specific drivers.

About your USB card, there are three drivers involved:
- The PCMCIA chipset drivers (may be difficult to get).
- The PCMCIA card drivers.
- The USB device drivers.

I guess those "eject" failures may be related to PCMCIA chipset drivers, but I'm not sure.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah the windows CD does not contain the pcmcia USB chip set drivers. And the one in the nusb drivers does those errors made above. So maybe I need the official ones from the CD or something